PDA

View Full Version : Battery revival

Nova_Tek
05-12-11, 09:09 PM
Evening all,

I had a battery which was used on the Nova SR... We swapped this little 44Ah battery for a Bosch 64Ah one which I bought for the Cavalier & will be used once it's back on the road form the restore. Now we swapped these batteries so the larger Bosch would be used everyday in the Nova and kept healthy and the smaller one would see the Cavalier whilst at the body shop.

As the Cav wasn't run very often while at the bodyshop it discharged a couple times and a booster was used to start it up.

I put the smaller battery on charge the other day to prepare it back to go into the Nova so the Bosch could go back on the Cav. After a good 12hour slow charge it was still dead even though the charger said it was 95% charged.

Is it possible to revive this battery? I've seen things like special battery top up fluid at places like Halfords which apparently restores batteries but do they work? The battery will be worth revivng even if it's to just test My LET Nova's electrics and what-not until the car is fully road worthy. Don't wanna buy a brand new battery for the LET Nova if I'm gonna mess around and knacker it.

Sorry for the long post... just to give everyone an idea.

:thumb:

Novasport
05-12-11, 09:31 PM
Buy a new one, once they are gone they are gone.

Get a Delco battery. I have got the reciept for the one on my Sport, its 17 years old and is still in perfect working order!!!

Nova_Tek
05-12-11, 09:37 PM
Already bought a genuine GM Vaux battery 50Ah for the SR and the Cav has the Bosch one like I said. Problem is that I didn't want to spend good money on a battery if it's only gonna be used for testing electrics etc otherwise it'll just discharge and knacker it eventually. I'm gonna buy a 62 - 70 amp battery when the Nova goes for it's MOT but I'm not willing to buy one now.

I'm assuming the electrolyte levels have dropped and therefore wont charge properly.

Benn
05-12-11, 10:22 PM
As said, let them go flat to many times and the lose the power to hold charge. Bin it and buy a new one. All the revival stuff never really works.

Novasport
05-12-11, 10:26 PM
I have recovered my battery on the 888 a couple of time with my C-tek charger & conditioner. The last time it was revived it later decided to boil itself, luckily it did not set fire to the car! I just binned it and got another.

brainsnova
05-12-11, 10:26 PM
Scrap the battery £5 a battery not too long ago

John
05-12-11, 10:48 PM
It may have a bad cell. How old is it? claim on warranty? if not just get a new one.

mowgli
06-12-11, 09:06 AM
back in the day, when i worked at a tractor dealership, we sold a lot of batteries.. i had a customer bring one in under warranty, and it was totally flat.. we re charged it & it took 4 days to get it up to full strength.

Nova_Tek
06-12-11, 09:21 PM
Battery is not that old tbh... maybe 2 years MAX. Supposed to be a 'heavy duty' one too. It was absolutely fine as it was used everyday in the Nova SR. Stuck it in the Cav for the time it was at the bodyshop. We had it on charge for about half a day. The Charger had said it had reached start up ability but it wasn't fully charged. I'll try charge it back to back over a few days see if that helps.

I checked the fluid levels and a couple cells look a bit low but there are no markers showing where to fill up to. Might just try topping up with some distilled water and giving it a good full charge to see if it works. Just want it to work so I can test stuff in the Nova :(

shed-on-wheels
06-12-11, 09:29 PM
i just fill them up with distilled water dude also have you tried puting it on the car bumping it and giving it a good run to charge it that way?

Nova_Tek
06-12-11, 09:33 PM
When I put it on the Cav just to check that I had wired everything up ok and everything worked it was dead. Come to think of it I haven't put a multimetre to see how many volts it's pushing, if any.