PDA

View Full Version : Ignition timing, carb and head gasket help

Plainlazy
05-12-11, 12:24 PM
At the moment I have a c14nz block with a 12st head and pierburg 1b carb. If I was to replace the head gasket would it be the 1.4 gasket and also will the carb need any adjusting to run on the 1.4 block. Having a few problems starting her up in the morning but I'm sure it's a battery issue.

Was also wondering how to correctly set the ignition timing with the mix and match of engines that I have. I have a timing gun and a bit of knowledge of what to do but would like some clarification and help cos she's being a bit of a dog.

Thanks. Chris

mowgli
06-12-11, 12:16 PM
Ok, use the 1.4 gasket.

And the 1200 carb will run a 1400 ok, i ran one years ago, i had a local old school garage service the carb, and it ran fantastically. As for the ign timing, i just did the old fashioned twist it till it ran right method.. Most of the time, people run them with too much advance. Is it the old delco black dizzy? Cos the advance mechanism diaphragms are prone to failure.

shed-on-wheels
06-12-11, 01:52 PM
and the easiest way to time the belt up is when you have the head of turn the bottom end onver until number 1 is on tdc then time the top pully up i think its straight up on the top

Plainlazy
08-12-11, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the help. I'll get the gasket ordered in. It is the old black delco dizzy and how would I check if that has failed? Also when trying to start on a cold morning it will crank stop then crank again without me moving the key. Does that indicate that I haven't timed it correctly. Thanks again chris

mowgli
08-12-11, 10:11 AM
timing sounds out.. you check the advance mechanism diaphragm by taking the pipe off from the carb, and sucking on it with the engine running, if the engine note changes, its fine, if it doesn't then the diaphragm is leaking, and the advance isn't working. its a common fault on them.

Plainlazy
09-12-11, 05:40 PM
Just checked the advanced mechanism and it's shot. Can it be repaired or is it a replace jobby? Also would it be worth doing my valve seals when the heads off? Cheers

mowgli
09-12-11, 10:44 PM
if you are lucky, you might find a new mechanism, but a vauxhall main stealer will tell you straight away that it isn't, try autovaux etc...
or find a decent s/hand or recon dizzy,

also definitely do the valve seals & get some grinding paste & a valve lapping tool, and get the seats redone, it doesn't take a lot of work, and is always worth it.

another important thing that is usually overlooked is to strip & clean the hydraulic lifters, they come apart really easily, then you soak them in a non abrasive cleaner, then assemble them with only the smallest amount of oil before refitting

Plainlazy
13-12-11, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the advice. Ive checked the timing and its spot on. Ive done the ignition timing but shes still a pain to start first thing in the morning. Is there any more ideas or shall i strip the engine and have a look inside the beast? Chris

mowgli
13-12-11, 05:24 PM
How old is the coil? They can break down with age, or ht leads? Or plugs

Plainlazy
13-12-11, 08:17 PM
coils brand new. The dizzy, arm, leads and sparks done about 3000miles. I may just replace them all to rule them out of the equation.