PDA

View Full Version : mazda rx8

swedge
04-12-11, 02:30 PM
i had a shot of my mates today, i really like them :) fair bit of power about them too

anyone else had a shot

wwmnw
04-12-11, 05:30 PM
I like them, never drove one though would much prefer an rx7 although I hear they both like a drink of oil.

mowgli
04-12-11, 06:04 PM
I like them, never drove one though would much prefer an rx7 although I hear they both like a drink of oil.

lollollollollollollollollol

someone rep bathfart for me please

floydy13
04-12-11, 06:33 PM
i hear the 8 drinks oils too

swedge
04-12-11, 06:36 PM
ive been reading up about them, they do use oil but its because its a rotary engine and its used in the combustion chamber so technicaly it does drink ir but its for a reason

Mike
04-12-11, 06:45 PM
They do drink oil for fun yes, but as said, its down to engine design unfortunatly (not a flaw though).

7 is better though lol

floydy13
04-12-11, 06:46 PM
a friend of a friend had one, he reckoned to every tank of fuel it needed a litre of oil

wwmnw
04-12-11, 06:54 PM
a friend of a friend had one, he reckoned to every tank of fuel it needed a litre of oil

Sounds a bit like my Fiesta tbh.

Lewis.
04-12-11, 07:12 PM
/\ lol I had an old vitara that leaked a litre a day, does that count?

I like ****el engines, they seem to be the work of the devil, and are banned in almost all forms of motorsport, therefore: super cool lol

we had an RX8 in at work last year, the customer drove it in and parked it in the carpark, it sits there all day until closing time when I start it up and drive it 50 yards into the workshop and turn it off. next morning, will it start? will it ****. turns out if you start them and then stop them before they are properly hot, they flood and require towing in gear with the plugs out to clear their throat. excellent design flaw that is

*edit* wtf? I cant say ****el? but it's ****el? ****el ****el ****el, not ****, you stupid swear filter :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

swedge
04-12-11, 07:42 PM
/\ lol I had an old vitara that leaked a litre a day, does that count?

I like ****el engines, they seem to be the work of the devil, and are banned in almost all forms of motorsport, therefore: super cool lol

we had an RX8 in at work last year, the customer drove it in and parked it in the carpark, it sits there all day until closing time when I start it up and drive it 50 yards into the workshop and turn it off. next morning, will it start? will it ****. turns out if you start them and then stop them before they are properly hot, they flood and require towing in gear with the plugs out to clear their throat. excellent design flaw that is

*edit* wtf? I cant say ****el? but it's ****el? ****el ****el ****el, not ****, you stupid swear filter :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

if youve only drove a very short distance your supposed to hold the revs at 2k for 10 seconds then turn off the key, stops it flooding

im actualy quite tempted to buy 1 as the insurance aint that much different compared to the nova lol

wwmnw
04-12-11, 07:45 PM
wankel

rubachuk
04-12-11, 07:46 PM
They seem silly cheap too. I was very very tempted recently. Stories of engine rebulds etc ultimately put me off

wwmnw
04-12-11, 07:47 PM
You could say they're wank.

swedge
04-12-11, 07:57 PM
They seem silly cheap too. I was very very tempted recently. Stories of engine rebulds etc ultimately put me off

yeah but most of the rebuilds have been from people not checking the oil as it uses a fair bit and generaly not looking after it, there were a few recals too but they wree on the 04 models

brainsnova
04-12-11, 08:04 PM
You could say they're wank.

Geez a wānkel

L14MNP
04-12-11, 10:35 PM
Better responses than I got on here the other month! [LINK] (http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?178612-Thinking-of-an-RX-8&highlight=)

When shopping today I called in the Mazda dealers to see if they had any. Unfortunately not! Once I pay for my cage/paint on the Volvo I am gonna save up a few pennies for one fo sho.

swedge
04-12-11, 10:58 PM
my mate has the 192 version of it, i had a blast in it today was pretty fun

definitely thinking about a purchase

L14MNP
04-12-11, 11:04 PM
Good man. I am yet to drive one, but I reckon if anything that will make me want one even more. They tick a lot of boxes for me, but I would go for a 231 with sat nav, just cos you can afford to be picky! I want FMSH, sub 60K miles, good T&T and sub £2k. lol

There was a gunmetal one on eBay for a grand with a fcuked starter (common fault). Never knew that about holding it @ 2K RPM when it's cold. Good to know, cos the cold/hot start issues can be a bit ghey!

The uber oil usage thing is apparently BS too. Uses not much more than any moder common rail etc and will wipe the floor with most things when it comes to handling. Plus a 231 has that awesome rotary howl all the way up to 9K. :d

The looks aren't amazing, but it's not ugly imo. I think theyy have aged well. They are no FD 7, but it's a totally different car in every respect to me.

swedge
05-12-11, 10:04 AM
my mate who owns the rx8 i had a shot of, his dads is on ebay atm grey 231bhp version with sat nav etc buy it now for 2250 i think has had a rear bumper replaced which isnt the same shade

the 190 i drove felt quick enough so the 230 will be the dogs danglies

they rev like feck too and the sound of the rotary i like alot

the rear doors are pretty nuts too, i have my 3 year old son who i take about so i tested my car seat and can get it in and out with no hassle and the front seats move forward slightly

the interior i like too, if i do buy one ill still own a nova though just wont be on the road and will be something i can tinker away at

XE PROJECT
05-12-11, 10:53 AM
my mum/dad have the prodrive version "PZ"

Nice car to drive

Only difference between 192 and 231 is how high they rev

eg 231 version produces 192bhp at "192" versions rev limit

Not sure if you could delimit 192 version to produce 231 power

In yankee land there common to run turbos like rx7

and yeh parents put 1/4 litre in every 8-10 months

Perfect clean running engine and bays concealed

they tried replacing it and looked at 20-50k motors, couldnt find anything even with
same spec or as nice "new"

Only down side is tax

12 month cost £460.00 :eek::cry:and it only get about 28-36mpg

swedge
05-12-11, 01:50 PM
my mum/dad have the prodrive version "PZ"

Nice car to drive

Only difference between 192 and 231 is how high they rev

eg 231 version produces 192bhp at "192" versions rev limit

Not sure if you could delimit 192 version to produce 231 power

In yankee land there common to run turbos like rx7

and yeh parents put 1/4 litre in every 8-10 months

Perfect clean running engine and bays concealed

they tried replacing it and looked at 20-50k motors, couldnt find anything even with
same spec or as nice "new"

Only down side is tax

12 month cost £460.00 :eek::cry:and it only get about 28-36mpg

54 plates are cheaper tax im sure, i had a look under the bonnet and its all plastic covers which i like as it all looks neat and tidy compared to something like an impreza which is like susan boyles face

L14MNP
05-12-11, 04:58 PM
XE, they can get up to that MPG? That's a lot higher than I have read others can manage. Low 20's at best is what I have been lead to expect.

Tax is £244 or similar p/a for pre '05 iirc.

swedge
05-12-11, 05:28 PM
yeah ive read low 20s aswell, its all about the fun rather than the mpg to me though

L14MNP
05-12-11, 05:31 PM
yeah ive read low 20s aswell, its all about the fun rather than the mpg to me though

Same mate. It won't be a daily for me. Sounds like we want exactly the same from one.

Oh yeah, they look crap when the front plate is moved lower imo - awesome when removed altogether though, acceptable in standard position. lol

mowgli
05-12-11, 05:34 PM
are you sure these figures aren't of a yank forum?? cos american gallons are 20% smaller

swedge
05-12-11, 05:35 PM
Same mate. It won't be a daily for me. Sounds like we want exactly the same from one.

Oh yeah, they look crap when the front plate is moved lower imo - awesome when removed altogether though, acceptable in standard position. lol

it will be my daily though and the furthest i have ever drove away from where i live is 18 miles haha there and back so mpg isnt that much of a problem, dont get me wrong i still love the nova but looking for something more modern for a daily and a bit comfier, when i drove my mates rx8 i felt like i could sit there for days it was that comfy and the seat moves more ways than turbojolts p45 haha

brainsnova
05-12-11, 06:20 PM
I seen one today and I'm starting to like them

andy_mk3
05-12-11, 07:06 PM
My dad used to have a very nice Rx-8, only pic I can find of it... lol

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a102/muckingfuppet/Astra%20Duo/40b77746.jpg

I absolutely loved it, handled really nice, looks stunning, nice to drive. It barely used any oil, he didn't do a lot of miles but probably topped it up a little bit once or twice in the year that he had it. The short run flooding is known about, just leave it running for a minute then give it a few revs then it wont flood.

I think the biggest downside was the fuel consumption, it managed at most about 24mpg on a steady 300 mile trip. They do also lack torque a fair bit as well. I'd have one if I could afford it though without a doubt :)

swedge
05-12-11, 07:21 PM
i thought the insurance woulda been sky high but its nearly the same as im paying for the nova, (quotes from money supermarket compared to what im paying sky)

Saloony
06-12-11, 08:23 AM
High 20's in the mpg stakes, pull the other one. 192 are very slightly different to 231's therfore wont be remaped or able to de-restrict. If you are gonna get one, 54-05 and some 55, just to break under the tax barrier. 53 platers are shocking with regards to engine wear.