PDA

View Full Version : XE Conversion rewiring- non starter

VR4AWD
03-12-11, 02:13 PM
Looking for some advice if possible.

Have a nova with a terrible wiring conversion that was using a mix of household and speaker wiring.

A new full uncut loom has been fitted and wired in following various guides found on here and now got it cranking over fine etc.

Now there is a starting problem and no spark at the plugs at all and iv gone over everything over and over and cant see a problem anywhere through the wiring.

Its had a new temp sensor fitted due to previous overfueling problem and waiting on a new set of plugs once i match what i need, as iv heard of using ford plugs but not sure what part number thats needed.

the wire that switches the ecu on is connected to the ignition live but when cranking over the power goes off until its just turned over without cranking so not sure if this is a problem aswell.

Iv also got no reference for voltages to check sensors and wiring etc so if anyone has a list of what sensors should be reading would be great as i cant find anything through the search function on here.

any help would be great as its got my head in knots trying to figure out whats wrong.

Graeme
03-12-11, 02:24 PM
Sounds to me like the ignition live has been taken from the fan that'll drop off when cranking, take it off the horn and you should be fine or ideally run a fresh fused feed from the fuse box

VR4AWD
03-12-11, 02:30 PM
would that be the case if im taking the feed right from the back of the ignition barrel wiring on the plastic clip on plug as thats how iv connected into the ignition live ?

Graeme
03-12-11, 02:32 PM
There are two ignition lives on the black cap, one goes off whilst cranking the other doesn't, ie all non essential things go of whilst cranking like the stereo and heaters

VR4AWD
03-12-11, 02:46 PM
thanks i will check that aswell in case anyone else has any ideas that can add to the topic

Graeme
03-12-11, 02:50 PM
Where are you dude, there might be in your area that might give you a nlift if you are really struggling and I'll stake my life ite the wrong side of the ignition barrel you are using

VR4AWD
03-12-11, 04:29 PM
dundee scotland mate

it sounds like thats one of the probs as i know its connected to the wire that goes off when cranking so in theory it should mean that when cranking it over the ecu isnt switched on.

fingers crossed that its just that as i cant see anything else out of place

Graeme
03-12-11, 04:32 PM
It'll definately be that as long as its grounded and the big red is connected to the battery and the fuel pump has a feed then it'll run

VR4AWD
03-12-11, 05:19 PM
cool mate cheers il give it another try in the morning and post back up.

VR4AWD
22-12-11, 08:36 PM
Right i changed the wiring to the one it should be and the car fired up right away.

now its still overfuelling terrible and after 2 mins running i have to dry the cylinders and clean the plugs before it will allow me to start it again.

heard the temp sensors are usually to blame but how do you check them with a multimeter before i go any further with it.

any advise would be great as its now at the finishing line but just a niggle now to get it running right.

also what ford plugs do people use as iv heard its NGK PTR5A10, the plugs fitted are dud and only a tiny spark if anything so wondering if this is part of the running problem.

can anyone give me some more advice ?

MattBrown
23-12-11, 08:46 AM
Sounds like earth problems to me.....

mowgli
23-12-11, 12:46 PM
Right i changed the wiring to the one it should be and the car fired up right away.

now its still overfuelling terrible and after 2 mins running i have to dry the cylinders and clean the plugs before it will allow me to start it again.

heard the temp sensors are usually to blame but how do you check them with a multimeter before i go any further with it.

any advise would be great as its now at the finishing line but just a niggle now to get it running right.

also what ford plugs do people use as iv heard its NGK PTR5A10, the plugs fitted are dud and only a tiny spark if anything so wondering if this is part of the running problem.

can anyone give me some more advice ?

just get a new cts (coolant temp sensor), they are cheap and usually at fault. i assume the cooling system is free of any air, cos it needs to be.

just stick with std factory plugs, they are fine.

Mazz
23-12-11, 01:11 PM
If its a standard XE, just fit GM plugs.

Riggy
23-12-11, 04:49 PM
also check for any air leaks around the throttle body as that can cause it to run rich , also a dodgey AFM , but as you have also said ,CTS is a good starting point

dc1984
23-12-11, 06:09 PM
i had a problem getting mine to start at one point, turned out that it was the coilpack wasnt earthed to its bracket after i got it powdercoated.

VR4AWD
26-12-11, 03:01 AM
still problems but it now runs, i will update or create a new topic tomorrow with all problems im having with this as something still isnt right and customer has it pre sold.

VR4AWD
28-12-11, 11:50 PM
now done more work to it but still has a problem i cant get to the bottom of if anyone can help.

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?180969-XE-Conversion-rewired-Running-now-but-has-terrible-running-problem