PDA

View Full Version : D.I.Y bike carbs

vauxluva
03-12-11, 10:54 AM
As stated how many peaple have made up there own inlet/jetted them to suit.Can you run the standard mechanical fuel pump (carb model). after recently looking @ a mates bodge up on a zetec they carnt be that hard!.lol

Andy
03-12-11, 10:58 AM
hahaha
this is going to turn into an epic read!

Alex J
03-12-11, 11:31 AM
everything is easy to bodge up, getting it to work propley is the problem

Andy
03-12-11, 11:32 AM
And then it will be less powerful than standard.
Try getting it all air tight bodged up aswell.

Lewis.
03-12-11, 01:03 PM
here we go...

I did just this on my SR. got a laser cut flange, a set or ZX9 carbs, and some silicone hoses, then made a manifold up myself, running the standard ignition, with a bit more advance. I had about 4 weeks of problems trying to make it run, then wen it did run it was running like crap. A visit to Tom Reid, and they were set up, and ran okay, but IMO, it was much more responsive, and more willing to rev with the standard twin choke down draught carb. also, the mechanical pump is not suitable (cam driven) the best sort to use is the interuptor pump off the bikefrom which the carbs came.
my setup:
http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu307/hay_lewis_68/cars/Nova%20rebuild/14062011763.jpg

I know they can run well, and there are a few that I know of that do go well, but they mostly seem to be using proper manifolds, R1 carbs and Megajolt ignition. So in my experience, on a budget, they are nothing but trouble