PDA

View Full Version : Corsa C buying advice

mk1nova_rich
02-12-11, 12:42 PM
I'm on the look out for a sensible daily so I can get Bessie off the road, and a Corsa C seemed a good option without spending too much. I'd like an SRi but I imagine I will struggle to find a decent one without breaking the bank (looking to spend approx £2000)

Anything to look out for when buying them?! And also any other advice on the models and specs available would be welcome...and a rough price guide would be helpful too.

Cheers :thumb:

christurboo
02-12-11, 01:36 PM
just dont buy one that is all.

mk1nova_rich
02-12-11, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the helpful reply :tard:

Mieran
02-12-11, 02:38 PM
Best advice I can give is don't buy one, had 3 (inc zlet) and hated all of them

brainsnova
02-12-11, 02:43 PM
Along as there's no lights on the dash after it's started and the engine sounds good and the exhaust isn't blowing then you can't really go wrong. If you just want a daily then a 1.2sxi is decent as it's a 16v but no race winner lol

mk1nova_rich
02-12-11, 03:21 PM
Whats the score with the 1.4 SRi...worth a look?! Aside from the engine whats difference in spec compared to the 1.8?

christurboo
02-12-11, 03:55 PM
would it not be worth just buying a cheap corsa b £300 £400 for a daily and spend the rest on bessie?

Connor
02-12-11, 04:23 PM
Steering rach bushes is a common fault so check for play/knocks in steering. 1.8 sri's are the best bet as the diesel ****y timing chain engines are w4nk (imo) and the sri lump is belt driven instead of chain which in my eyes is a good thing.
Sri performance wise, the 1.8's are very sluggish and with them being a touch over a ton with 123 odd bhp there not the quikest of things, try and get as low milage one for price range, as my old 1.2 sxi had 120k and felt horrible to drive, drove one with 40k on the other week and was 200x better. In all seriousness though if i had 2k i wouldnt be wanting to buy a corsa c, only reason i has mine is that i bought mine for basically nothing.

Mike
02-12-11, 04:35 PM
Mines not been to bad TBH, Ive racked up nearly 50k of complete an utter abuse in it aswell as some off roading at around 70 mph & its still alive. Ticked 148k coming home today.

There "ok" to drive. But thats about it. I found the SRi (petrols) pretty crap really, slow for what they are IMO. SXi's are sought after by kiddys with first time bank loans so they stay strong in the coin, but there pretty decent spec'd. Dont discount the diesels though, mines a 1.7 16v, does 500 mile to a tankful (£58ish) & pull very well up against a standard Golf TDi etc.

If you can, get a facelift model with the halogen headligts, as pre facelift style headlights are dire for actual light output, I found them pish poor for visibility on unlit roads/fog etc.

A lot of them leak water through the bulkhead into the drivers footwell for fun, they also like to leak water into the boot. Dont be suprised if you view one & the EML is on, every single one Ive driven etc has had this problem.

Shame really as Ive literally just sold mine this afternoon lol

mk1nova_rich
02-12-11, 05:47 PM
Is that the one with the 3k rpm idle?! lol

Mike
02-12-11, 05:52 PM
Is that the one with the 3k rpm idle?! lol

1500krpm actually lol

Best off road machine Ive ever owned. TBH Im gutted to get rid of it as its just one of those cars you can just jump in and drive with no faffing or discomfort :/

mk1nova_rich
02-12-11, 06:31 PM
Cheers for that Mike, first post was very helpful :thumb: whats the tax like on the diesels? (if van tax is same as car?!!)

Mike
02-12-11, 07:00 PM
Cheers for that Mike, first post was very helpful :thumb: whats the tax like on the diesels? (if van tax is same as car?!!)

Dont know what the tax is on a car but for my van its £220 for a year I think? Mine isnt/wasnt one of the low emission type engines tho like the Fiesta TDCi for example (£40 a year RFL).

novaa
03-12-11, 08:22 PM
I have a 2003 sxi DTI now 2 years thats the isuzu engine it has never give any bother no leaks or eml on plus it has over 100k. Only down side is on motorway at 80 engine is noisy.

MK999
03-12-11, 08:35 PM
1500krpm actually lol

Best off road machine Ive ever owned. TBH Im gutted to get rid of it as its just one of those cars you can just jump in and drive with no faffing or discomfort :/

1500,000 RPM idle is impressive lol What does it redline at, mach 3?

Phil_d
04-12-11, 01:45 PM
Are you looking for just a sensible every day car or just another vauxhall/corsa as i wouldnt go for a corsa c personally, when i took my nova off the road for some well deserved tlc i bought a 'r' reg 306 d turbo 4 months tax and test 120k on the clock fueling and boost easily tunable :D, i payed £450 for mine does about 45 - 50 mpg and is so much better to drive than any corsa iv driven. Easy to drive around town and so comfy to drive up the motorway, only a low insurance group aswell about a 5 i think so well worth looking at IMO.

Welsh Dan
06-12-11, 11:45 AM
For £2k you'll get a much nicer bigger car than you would a Corsa. Have you considered a Vectra/Mondeo/Similar? I don't think I could go back to a small car as a daily now. Also, there's a lot to be said for the heated front windscreen in the Mondeo :).

Like this, (http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201148432094699/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/2000/transmission/manual/fuel-type/diesel/model/vectra/make/vauxhall/page/6/radius/100/postcode/ls11aa?logcode=p) or this, (http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201148432363810/sort/priceasc/usedcars/fuel-type/diesel/transmission/manual/price-to/2000/model/vectra/make/vauxhall/page/10/radius/100/postcode/ls11aa?logcode=p) or this. (http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201147430211018/sort/priceasc/usedcars/transmission/manual/price-to/2000/fuel-type/diesel/model/mondeo/make/ford/radius/100/page/8/postcode/ls11aa?logcode=p)

Mike
07-12-11, 09:33 PM

£66.25 for 6 months on a 1.7 CDTi SRi

Joe Richardson
07-12-11, 09:58 PM
If you go view one, check all the footwells that there not wet, They leak water from the bulkhead the 3 seals perish overtime and let water in (****ing ****e design) as said 1.2 engines noisy at 80, and the drivers seat bolster wears very easily aswell .

peester
08-12-11, 05:45 PM
[QUOTE=Welsh Dan;1959124]For £2k you'll get a much nicer bigger car than you would a Corsa. Have you considered a Vectra/Mondeo/Similar? I don't think I could go back to a small car as a daily now. Also, there's a lot to be said for the heated front windscreen in the Mondeo :).

Ill echo this, however maybe astra g, focus mk1, golf 4 platform (audi/seat/skoda) rather than large family car..?