PDA

View Full Version : Re-polishing bare alloy

Steve
30-11-11, 10:20 PM
Ive got a set of superlites that need a bit of a refurb, the lacquer on the polished lips went a bit funny and the guy I got them off flatted them down with something like 800/1000 grit. I tried polishing them up but they've been taken right back to bare alloy.

I wanted to re-lacquer them but after speaking to my college tutor he seems to think the lacquer might not adhere properly. Is there a special lacquer available or should I just try 2k?

Southie
30-11-11, 10:53 PM
Might be worth contacting these guys to do it for you if they are in your area, from £30 a wheel don't seem bad IMO ;)

http://www.wickedwheels.co.uk/locations.html

G-nova
30-11-11, 11:11 PM
Merc lacquer onto bare polished alloys but they only last a few years lol we get them in for refurb all the time lol wet flat the bare alloy with different grades starting with 600 or 800 onto 1200 then 2000 then use some G3 or G10 compound keeping it very wet all the time buff with machine don't let it get too hot or the metal will discolour a little it will bring it up as if it has been lacquer'd but then lacquer them as-well.
I did this on a set of focus ST alloys at work - (they look a little like Vectra snowflakes) they are painted dark grey and only the face is polished alloy I re-polished the face and scotched the rest then lacquer'd the hole thing customer was very happy and still is

Steve
30-11-11, 11:52 PM
All the superlites seem to go on the lips, I went over them with 1500 and 2000 then G6'd and G10'd them, they came up better but nowhere near the chrome like shine they should have, did you lacquer with regular 2k?

L14MNP
01-12-11, 05:55 PM
You need etch laquer mate. personally I wouldn't bother, I keep my lips bare (lul) and just keep on top of them/use a good wheel wax. That's the best way.

Steve
01-12-11, 07:04 PM
This is how good they came up but nowhere near how they should be, is it worth trying a metal polish on them to get them looking better?

http://i.imgur.com/11RS8.jpg

Calamity Josh
01-12-11, 09:16 PM
perhaps autosol would bring them up abit nearer?

Steve
02-12-11, 03:19 PM
Yeah thats the next thing to try, see how that goes.

Benn
02-12-11, 10:06 PM
You'll need to sand them down more to remove the old lacquer. Then got back up to 800 and 1000, you'll want proper polishing soap and a proper polishing end on a grinder to really buff them up.

You can get lacquer for polished brass and such which will stick to polished surfaces fine. But if it chips water will get in and wreck them again. I wouldn't lacquer them.

G-nova
03-12-11, 09:30 PM
All the superlites seem to go on the lips, I went over them with 1500 and 2000 then G6'd and G10'd them, they came up better but nowhere near the chrome like shine they should have, did you lacquer with regular 2k?

Yeah we use glasurit 929 88 - expensive but **** hot