PDA

View Full Version : not starting

b16nov
29-11-11, 01:05 PM
ok, have just rebuilt everything ecept the carb on my 12st nova engine,
timing is all correct on cambelt and bottom pulley, turns over but will not fire,
connected the coil back up and seems fine but still wont fire,
have tried this for about 5 mins on and off just to make sure the fuel is getting in, and guess what still non starting????
any help?????
at this point the battery died

b16nov
29-11-11, 01:21 PM
only other thing i changed was to paint with heat temp paint, the cam shaft housing and also the cylinder head,
would i be in any trouble if a bit of paint is poss in the spark plug threads? thats the only possibility i could think of but saying that was very carful when i did paint

autoworksnovasport
29-11-11, 01:30 PM
do these have hydraulic lifters?? if so tow it round for a few miles in 3rd-4th gear this will fill the lifters and you will then get compression and it "should start"

thegingerwhinger
29-11-11, 02:00 PM
yeah definately what phil said, when youve had the engine apart the lifters will have emptied and basically you need to refill them with oil by towing it in gear! have you checked basics fuel and spark etc?

b16nov
29-11-11, 04:07 PM
will a 1200 starter fit in a 1600 gte engine?

Southie
29-11-11, 04:22 PM
will a 1200 starter fit in a 1600 gte engine?
Yes, all small blocks are the same from 1.2 to 1.6.

See here which backs me up CLICKYME (http://www.startermotor-alternator-store.co.uk/vauxhall-nova-12131416-gsi-starter-motor---1988-93-s898-7203-p.asp) ;)

b16nov
29-11-11, 04:24 PM
will a 1200 gearbox fit on a 1600 gte?

Southie
29-11-11, 04:28 PM
The gearbox housing doesn't allow for the bigger fly wheel on the 1.6 if it's the F10, on a 1.6 a F13 will fit though.

b16nov
29-11-11, 04:34 PM
how can i tell what gearbox i have, i know mine has the plate you can remove to change the clutch

shed-on-wheels
29-11-11, 04:39 PM
they are stamped just behind the gear selector fella

b16nov
29-11-11, 06:32 PM
also can anybody pls talk me through the timing and set up for this car, as said it is a 12st with a pierburg 1b carb and electronic ignition,
1)timing mark on bottom pulley, checked all ok
2)timing mark on camshaft pulley, checked, seems ok
3) been told need to set up the ignition timing by twisting the dizzy cap, where are the marks to use to do this?

when i timed up to put on the cambelt im abit unsure as put the head back on from doing head gasket, cylinder 1 is at tdc, camshaft was in marked position,
but after when i put the cambelt on, i firstly turned it over 2 times by hand, well 17mm and ratchet, all seems ok and no valves hitting pistons or anything,,,,,,,,,,,,
but i noticed for every revolution of the bottom pulley, the top (camshaft) pulley had ony gone around a half turn,
is there any chance i have timed up wrong on the cambelt and need to turn the camshaft pulley around another half turn , mark and try again

hopefully somebody can understand what im trying to say and know what im on about, all help would be very great right about now,
cheers

b16nov
29-11-11, 06:40 PM
out of interest how east would it be to put in a fuel injection engine? the main mod would be to have an electronic fuel pump im guessing? is this right?

Leeboo
29-11-11, 07:01 PM
The crank pulley and camshaft pullies are two very different diameters, so they will not turn a full revolution for each other if that makes sense.

If the distributor is 'roughly' right, tow it as said.. my 1200 had to be towed around 3-4 miles after sitting for ~7 years, being stripped and put together.

b16nov
29-11-11, 07:12 PM
the car was running till a week ago when decided to strip to change head gaskets and whatnotsd

shed-on-wheels
29-11-11, 07:36 PM
if the engine has been stripped you will need to tow it around to build up enough oil preasure for her to kick over bud and its easier just to get an injection engine tbh bud

marc69
29-11-11, 08:05 PM
Also have you checked that the spark plugs are getting fuel (keep trying to start after a few minutes remove a spark plug and it should be covered in fuel)

A very rough and probably unsafe way to check that there is a spark, the removed spark plug, attach it to the lead, get someone to turn the engine just a few seconds (after the fuel has evaporated) in a dull light, you should see the spark jumping the two points of the plug.

b16nov
29-11-11, 08:11 PM
where i have painted the cylinder head, would this effect anything as if the spark plug is not earthed?
also i did the oil change last monday then removed the head last wednesday, i left the oil in the engine and didn't drain it as i knew it was good oil,
should i drain the oil and just put it straight back in????
to be honest i think i used semi oil aswell

shed-on-wheels
29-11-11, 08:12 PM
or welsh style here lol remove your lead from any cylinder put a long screw driver up into the end of the lead rest it agains an earth you should here it ticking or just to ensure your timing marks are dead on make a timing gun simples!!