PDA

View Full Version : Advice on GTE thermostat change

noknok
27-11-11, 03:08 PM
Af'noon

GTE off road at moment as precaution - heater not working and temp gauge not responding (it sits below cold on a run). I will earth the sensor to check it's not faulty but if I need to replace the thermostat can anyone give a brief guide.

Guessing I'll need to drain off some coolant but wondered how much, any order to work to or things to make sure I get right?:roll:

Many thanks

craig green
27-11-11, 03:41 PM
Cambelt & covers off, remove top pulley & replace the stat from behind the housing/outlet pipe.

new belt back on & time her up, sadly quite a bit of work for such a minor part replacement.

Curtoise
27-11-11, 04:41 PM
are they not behind the water pump ?

Iain
27-11-11, 06:15 PM
Behind the rear belt cover on the front top of the engine. I'm sure I've squeezed one in before without removing the whole belt etc.

Edd
27-11-11, 06:46 PM
You can deffo do it without removing the belt

noknok
27-11-11, 09:01 PM
Gulp! Cheers guys, will take a closer look to see if my fat hands can get in there, hope I don't need to strip too much out.

Will I need to drain off any coolant?

noknok
01-12-11, 08:31 PM
Strange things happening. Temp gauge suddenly started working again - rising to middle (normal) but only after a good 25 mins driving so seems delayed, needle has crept up towards 3/4, water levels good, but still only very slightly warm heat from heater which comes and goes but mainly stays cold.

Sound like a sticky thermostat? Thanks for a few pointers.

Iain
01-12-11, 08:36 PM
Does it cool down if you rag it? I'm sure mine used to do that when the stat was buggered

Yes it'll need the coolant draining for it

noknok
01-12-11, 11:17 PM
Iain yes it does cool down when I give it some beans but ive also seen it heat up! Need to get it sorted this weekend. The old girl has cost me a few quid this week, today I had a new middle and back box fitted as an emergency, not exactly the same as what I had on there (Ronal I think), tail pipe wasn't chrome for a start and lacked rolled edge finish but apart from that it looked ok, it think was from C S exhausts via kwik fit and apparently GTE spec. Wish I'd hunted around a bit more, not sure best place to source best standard spec kit??

Anyway all made better since my mate had the loan of a new Ferrari 458 italia for the day
, still smiling now !