PDA

View Full Version : nova sri rally car

robert_novaj611
27-11-11, 03:06 PM
hey there everyone i have a nova sri thats been striped to a shell and i was thinking bout getting into rallying is there enyone on here that could give me sum tips what i need to do like the welding whats the best suspension parts etc etc cheers :thumb:

mk1nova_rich
27-11-11, 06:01 PM
Join a local motor club that is involved with rallying. You will meet existing competitors and other people just starting out who will be able to share advice and knowledge.

For low budget novices like yourself 'road rallying' is usually the starting point...based on navigational skills rather than flat out rallying in a high powered car. There are fairly tight restrictions on engine/transmission modifications and weight removal...a standard road car is often suitable but people can choose to fit rollcages, sump guards etc

Steve0011
28-11-11, 09:46 AM
have a look here (you have to register to see threads) http://www.britishrally.co.uk/forum/index.php

there are some rules re engine etc

no twin carbs anymore :(

the 1.4 is a good engine to start with (i have the Sri :)) theres allways a chance of winning the under 1.4 prize (allways put 1389 as your cc on entry form :)

you can remove lots of stuff for weight saving, sound deadening material, ditch the rear wiper motor etc etc. however all standard trim must remain for road rallies eg. door cards, roof lining carpets etc. you can stitch weld the shell, fit a roll cage, bucket seat, steering wheel and add gauges.

stick with 13" or 14" wheels 15's or above fook up your gearing. tyres must be E marked (so no slicks)

get a F13 CR gearbox with a 4.18 final drive (4.28 of 4.53 are prefered but a very rare item to get hold of) the higher the final drive the better the acceleration, you will loose top end speed but road ralling is all about tight twisty B roads so getting out of corners quickly is far better than top end speed anyway.

BTW a sump and tank guard is a must!

there are lots of other things you can do to your car and stay within the rules.

hope this help a bit

steve