PDA

View Full Version : How to build a supercar on iplayer

Connor
26-11-11, 12:57 AM
Anyone watched it? was a good program imo, showing mclarens big jump into supercar design and manufacturing, i found it interesting so thought i would share incase any of you lot are bored. Enjoy
>HOW TO BUILD A SUPERCAR< (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b017t722/How_to_Build..._Series_2_A_Super_Car/)

TeddyThom
26-11-11, 03:21 AM
Shame they don't teach you how to do it on a stupidly low budget, t'is alright having monies to spend like drinking beer, but when you can't even afford the beer, kinda sucks...

Good series though :thumb:

Keif
26-11-11, 12:16 PM
Thought it was a bit too secretive. Didn't particularly follow the apprentice like they did in the previous 4 programs. They seemed to forget about her, then quickly get her to fit some brakes.

interesting, but could have been more focused on actually building the car (the clue's in the program title), not developing it or moving buildings IMO.

Connor
26-11-11, 12:40 PM
True true, but thats mclaren all over, i think it was more of a publicity thing to gain interest and to highlight the commitment mclaren has made

Mike
26-11-11, 12:46 PM
You gotta respect the nature of the business though, of course there going to be secretive!!

Why you think I not allowed cameras/phones at work, as we deal a hell of a lot with Mclaren (F1), Noble, JLR prototypes (the new 2012 RR is awesome btw!), Aston, Bentley etc etc. Same as Stuarts work with super cars etc etc, its all hush hush!

Connor
26-11-11, 12:49 PM
Same as every innovative company really, bet the workers manager was sitting directly behind the camera making sure there production line workers dont say something they shouldnt lol.

Keif
26-11-11, 12:57 PM
You gotta respect the nature of the business though, of course there going to be secretive!!

I do, I work for Rolls-Royce.

I know they're not going to tell you everything, but compared to last series and the first of this, they all were for more informative.
That included blurring out parts of a submarine.

brainsnova
26-11-11, 04:40 PM
I liked it but thought it was a little ambitious reducing build times to 45mins a stage at the new plant

Keif
26-11-11, 05:18 PM
Reducing Lead Times from development times to production should be easy.

shed-on-wheels
26-11-11, 06:19 PM
its cleaner than my kitchen!!!

mowgli
26-11-11, 07:46 PM
i've been watching the mp4-12c test cars near our yard for ages.... our lorries are parked on the farm that is inside the mira test track... the test cars have had some ugly paint jobs, but it doesn't stop them looking incredible... they also tested the f1gtr's there back in the early 90s... the legendary one was the one that was run into the 500t concrete block for the crash test, they screwed a new nose cone on it, and drove it home to woking!!! i also saw the crazy merc slr? supercharged one leaving manor motorsport (think merc powered f3 team that lewis hamilton drove for) with a completely different set of nose panels on one day, having had just done the crash test.. god it sounded good....

ps. the prototype f1gtr that did the crash test also won the 1995 leMans 24hrs....

i like mclarens

Bubba
26-11-11, 08:02 PM
this made me late for work...as i caught it at midnight lol awesome stuff

Stuart
27-11-11, 02:08 PM
I'd sak about 90% of the production staff. I've met the special people at Soiledhell that work for LR production and they would be better than the lot Rons got atm lol No wonder the cars are somewhat iffy with production folks like those shown on TV lol

Great work on the rest of it though, nice to see a british company (middle east money) doing the effort and keeping as much inside the UK as possible.

burgo
27-11-11, 09:46 PM
oh my wow i want to work there