PDA

View Full Version : gearbox are compatible with this engine?

marc69
24-11-11, 06:27 PM
I have a 1991 Nova 1.4 NV engine, it is currently fitted with a F13 CR box but I can't get reverse after two weeks of trying so, time to give up.

Will a SPi corsa/astra box from the scrappy fit?
Will a 4 speed box from a 1.0 ohv Nova fit?

As far as I know, the engine, clutch and driveshafts are all from the last 1.4SR NV carb engines made .

If the 1.0 fits, all going well eventually I'd like to get 80-100bhp from the engine, will this box take it?

Thanks

swedge
24-11-11, 06:32 PM
1.0 box wont fit

how are you setting up the linkage?

do you have a haynes manual? search for the drill bit method its the easiest and quickest way to set the linkage up

marc69
24-11-11, 06:36 PM
I have done the drill bit thing but even with the linkage removed from the box, I can use the selecter on top of the turret on the box and get all five forward gears by hand but cannot push it further to the side of first to get reverse. Is it possible that the reverse is broken in the box?

swedge
24-11-11, 06:40 PM
is the engine the original to the car?

only thing i can think of is it used to be a 4 speed and the small plastic lug at the bottom of the gearstick isnt cut off meaning it wont push far enough over for 5th or reverse

or you are using a selector turret on the top of the gearbox from a 4 speed

or your linkage is shagged

marc69
24-11-11, 06:50 PM
I have no idea if the box is original to the car, just got the car few weeks ago and the guy couldn't even get the engine to go.

It is a corsa or cavalier gearstick with a solid bar giong through the car.

I can get and drive in 1st,2nd, 3rd,4th and 5th.

With the linkage not being original, I assumed it may have been the fault however, with the linkage removed from the gearbox and using the control rod, I can select all forward gears but the control rod will not move further to the right (from the front of the car) than 1st gear.

I don't know anything about gearboxes so, I don't know if it is a possibiblty that reverse can be knackered in a box, but I am finding it impossible to get.

It's driving me mad, the starter went yesterday, put a new one on, today there is no spark from the plugs......If things keep on going this way I have a feeling I know where the next journey for this car is!

swedge
24-11-11, 07:00 PM
I have no idea if the box is original to the car, just got the car few weeks ago and the guy couldn't even get the engine to go.

It is a corsa or cavalier gearstick with a solid bar giong through the car.

I can get and drive in 1st,2nd, 3rd,4th and 5th.

With the linkage not being original, I assumed it may have been the fault however, with the linkage removed from the gearbox and using the control rod, I can select all forward gears but the control rod will not move further to the right (from the front of the car) than 1st gear.

I don't know anything about gearboxes so, I don't know if it is a possibiblty that reverse can be knackered in a box, but I am finding it impossible to get.

It's driving me mad, the starter went yesterday, put a new one on, today there is no spark from the plugs......If things keep on going this way I have a feeling I know where the next journey for this car is!

haha welcome to nova ownership lol, i dont know much about the internal shifter but someone else should comment who has 1

if you still cant get anywhere with it i would try fitting the standard linkage back in and try that before you go changing any box's etc

start with the easiest and cheapest methods first

marc69
24-11-11, 07:07 PM
I will try the standard linkage but...will be a few months before I can get it and I have to push the thing out of my drive and block the street everytime I want to go into the garage, a bit of an inconvenience. Do you reckon the corsa/astra SPi gearboxes would fit though? Probably get one cheap from the scrappy?

I have tried using the control rod on my 1.0 gearbox to get reverse and it does which is why I assume something is wrong that it won't on this box. Also the fact that the more I am exploring this car, the more problems. It has been hacked about by a few previous owners and most things are worn out or not on right.

swedge
24-11-11, 07:12 PM
with the internal shifter isnt the reverse set up in a different position from up to the left?

im not too clued up on the inernal shifter maybe try in here

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?93293-*HOW-TO*-Internal-Cavalier-gear-shift

marc69
24-11-11, 07:19 PM
thanks for the link, sadly it says that reverse is the same.

swedge
24-11-11, 07:21 PM
so youve tried turning the bit that goes into the turret clockwise (looking into the bay) and pull it towards you into the turret. that should be reverse make sure the linkage is disconnected when doing this though

marc69
24-11-11, 07:23 PM
I've done that, it will not turn farther than 1st. Very frustrating, but this is why i suspect there is an internal problem ie knacked

total_vauxhall
24-11-11, 07:25 PM
Only a shot in the dark but is the white plastic block on the linkage nuckle the correct way around ? It fits both ways for diffrent cars

swedge
24-11-11, 07:25 PM
hmm its a strange one anyway

marc69
24-11-11, 07:27 PM
yes, is it possible that someone has wrecked reverse?

swedge
24-11-11, 07:28 PM
could possibly be but you would probably still be able to get into reverse it would just crunch alot or be really rough not just stop like hitting a brick wall lol

marc69
24-11-11, 07:32 PM
Yes, the only thing I can think of is the selector bit inside is bent or something stopping it from going over...

marc69
24-11-11, 07:33 PM
Only a shot in the dark but is the white plastic block on the linkage nuckle the correct way around ? It fits both ways for diffrent cars

Shots in the dark are welcome because I am at a loss, I'll have a look at it and experiment thanks.

swedge
24-11-11, 07:35 PM
hmm, best thing to do is take the selector turret off (4 10mm bolts) and you will see 3 bars that run across with a gap inbetween them

when the bars are in line that is neutral, now someone may know how to set them to get the box into reverse

once you figure it out put the bars like they should be in reverse and try that

if it dosnt work then your gearbox is fooked

garyc
24-11-11, 07:50 PM
Take the selector off the top of the box and check all the levers inside are in the right position, one could have been moved over. You can normally use a screwdriver to move them back. Put the selector on and select reverse. Start the car and see if it reverses, lol. If it does then you know its something to do with the linkages either worn or fitted incorrectly.

marc69
24-11-11, 09:50 PM
The fitting of the linkages are not great but, I have unattached the linkages and still can't get reverse.

Do you know which selector in the box is for reverse? ie top, middle or bottom and do you know if it should go to the passenger or driver's side?

That would let me know defiinately if the box (and possibly nova!) is for the bin.

garyc
24-11-11, 10:19 PM
Put the selector in neutral, turn it fully anti clockwise then push forward. Iirc that should be reverse. You may need to slacken off the gear stick first.

Andy Brooks
25-11-11, 06:32 PM
this may be a stupid question but you are lifting up the little bit under the gear knob when you try get it in reverse? sorry for sounding dumb but i saw a guy local to me running a internal cav shifter and he couldn't get reverse and it turned out that he didn't know you had to lol

marc69
25-11-11, 09:02 PM
Thanks, i have done all these things, had another look tonight and had a look at my fourspeed box. With both disconnected from the linkage, the selector pushes hard to the right (from the front of the car) on the 4 speed and then pushes back into reverse, the problem box will not go hard right at all. I am now giving up with this box!

So back to the question are the gearboxes from an spi corsa/astra compatible with the engine and shafts?