PDA

View Full Version : A problem with my car, what could it be?

RobHardyUK
13-07-03, 01:04 PM
Car: Nova 1.2 (Carb model)

I have had this problem with my engine cutting out recently, at junctions, wen no revs are there, it is like running the engine cold with no choke, it just stutters and stops, but now even after a long run, i have to have it on full choke, if i move the choke in even slightely it just splutters and stalls. It is like the choke is really sensistive, either on or off, but now its got to a point even after a long run, if i push the choke in, it just sods up. It done it right on the exit of a junction today, as in 10mins ago, couldnt start it back up, it just wouldnt turn over. Eventually it did, so i drove home on full choke, and made it.

What could the prob be?

locky
13-07-03, 01:54 PM
Is the air filter blocked up?
When did u last have it changed?

SKoob
13-07-03, 02:56 PM
try some carb cleaner, cud be ur jets in the carb are blocked or worn

RobHardyUK
13-07-03, 04:53 PM
well after playing about with it, couldnt see anything, the air filter was clean, fairly new, so we oiled a few linkages, and started it up, and it seems ok, though im going to test it again later when the eninge has cooled off abit, as it seems to idle VERY low. i still dnt think it is sorted... couldnt see ne real probs :cry:

Will
13-07-03, 07:30 PM
idle screw, yellow screw on driver side of carb, lol, turn it up or down to get it idling at 900 rpm when warm ish then it shud be ok, p.s. might wana change air filter etc etc

p.p.s have u serviced the car since u got it? no? do ;)

p.p.p.s service it urself and save dollar

p.p.p.p.s gimie a shout if u need ne help

adam2472
13-07-03, 08:52 PM
mine has been doing the exact same thing the last couples of weeks.. been having to drive at least 10 miles befor using no choke and then using some when stoped at junctions.

on sat me and the old man changed the contact points and condensor and re-did the timming.. this had made a big difference.. give it ago.. will only cost a max ?10 for new points , condensor and a set of them measuring width things(forgot name :P )

RobHardyUK
13-07-03, 09:39 PM
idle screw, yellow screw on driver side of carb, lol, turn it up or down to get it idling at 900 rpm when warm ish then it shud be ok, p.s. might wana change air filter etc etc

p.p.s have u serviced the car since u got it? no? do ;)

p.p.p.s service it urself and save dollar

p.p.p.p.s gimie a shout if u need ne help

Yep, this is what my grandad done, he lubed the linkages by the carb, and altered the idle screw. i think it idles a tad low now! however, it is much smoother, than ever, pulling away say in 2nd gear from standstill now! before it would be all jerky, now it is alot smoother! I know he changed tis, but was all the prob down to them linkages?

Aragorn
13-07-03, 10:44 PM
i hate chokes - i set the idle speed with a cold engine and now i rarley need to use it

it idles low and rough when cold but it dont need choke - when warm it idles at 900-1000 so thats fine too

saying that tho the carb setup is whack - had it on an exhuast analyser... at idle it was fine at 2% CO

rev it a little and it was hitting 8-12% CO - just cant be arsed properly setting it up

shanehandley
14-07-03, 09:14 AM
i had the exact same prob and it was the condensor and points, i did them then got it timed and now runs ace!

worth ago dont cost to much!

Aragorn
14-07-03, 07:11 PM
didnt think the 1.2 had condensor or points...

shane: yours a 1.0?

mowgli
14-07-03, 09:47 PM
the choke cable can slip, check it is tight.
also check the vacuum advance, they can cause rough running

burgo
14-07-03, 11:30 PM
my 1.2 has points and that is wot i would surgest and it wouldnt hurt to do a full service as in plugs leads points dizzy cap oil filter oil airfilter and drain and replace the water make sure u use anti freeze shouldnt b much more than ?100 alternatively buy my engine had all this done as well as more u cn have it for ?50

nova-1
14-07-03, 11:35 PM
i got a 1.2 engine im scraping you can have the carb for free if u want to try it? also its got new dizzycap and rotoarm on it.