PDA

View Full Version : Megasquirt?

Nobby
19-11-11, 11:52 PM
How does this work folks? Whats the best kit to get? Where from? Easy to setup? What about sensors etc etc Looking into it for a new engine that i wont really be able to use the original ecu with as its non vaux. any help appreciated cheers

Connor
20-11-11, 02:55 AM
The kit depends on what your using it for there v2 and v3 iirc, one sec i'll find the site which tells you loads of info how to set them up etc, to give you an idea of whats involved on them.

Connor
20-11-11, 02:59 AM
here you go mate
http://www.megamanual.com/index.html
online pdf's available, just click the area you want to read on
http://www.megamanual.com/files/docs/

I looked into the megasquirt setup for a project i was doing at uni, but it ended up being a theory based project so never got round to it, but its pretty simple tbh, there are better setups available but if your mechanically minded and are not afraid of building circuits etc, then for the money its a very good buy imo

Stuart
20-11-11, 08:59 AM
There is a good guide in the articles section about someones install.

What is the engine you plan to run on?

brucer
20-11-11, 09:44 AM
i was looking into it to replace the standard managment on my GTE, i kind of went against it as ive heard some people wont map it and i may end up worth the car running worse than it was.

Stuart
20-11-11, 09:50 AM
Thing is, its more a DIY calibration job than taking it to someone (thats kinda the whole ethos of MS), the only place I know that does tune Ms is mtech but they rebrand it as theirs (naughty lol )

You can pick up a DTA EXP48 for not much more than a MS setup thesedays, and I'd take one of those anyday of the week!
StuartSquirt is still WIP and I dont expect anything to be about till middle/end of next year from that lol

Nobby
20-11-11, 10:39 AM
cheers guys im looking at the saab b308 low pressure turbo similar to what david dixon did with his 3.2 turbo, but i will probably start with just the saab running gear instead of the c25xe stuff like david did as it was to much fit thr afm and ecu to cope with and wouldnt run much boost than 5psi. Then i want to run vxr manifolds and a remote turbo so need something i can map at a later date.

Mike
20-11-11, 10:41 AM
cheers guys im looking at the saab b308 low pressure turbo similar to what david dixon did with his 3.2 turbo, but i will probably start with just the saab running gear instead of the c25xe stuff like david did as it was to much fit thr afm and ecu to cope with and wouldnt run much boost than 5psi. Then i want to run vxr manifolds and a remote turbo so need something i can map at a later date.

PJ Motorsport up the road from me will happily map MS. They do a lot of 1900cc american block RST's with it etc.

Stuart
20-11-11, 11:13 AM
Might be able to use the Saab Trionic T5/7/8 suite to run the engine how you want...?

Nobby
20-11-11, 12:04 PM
ye mate but i think you have to have a speed sensor to run it??

autoworksnovasport
20-11-11, 12:07 PM
you can run that from the abs sensor

but if you were going megasquirt ive seen a lot of BIG builds use this reliably so its a good cheap way of managment

Stuart
20-11-11, 01:36 PM

but if you were going megasquirt ive seen a lot of BIG builds use this reliably so its a good cheap way of managment

Its not actually 'that' cheap though... it used to be, but there have been a fair few £3-500 PCM's come out meaning the older (and still good) ones are coming down to barely over a fully lashed together MS setup. Microsquirt looks acceptable as its mostly automotive grade kit, but its still got some poorly designed circuits on there :(

Nobby
20-11-11, 02:24 PM

Find me an ABS sensor on a nova lol

Stuart
20-11-11, 02:46 PM
Find me an ABS sensor on a nova lol

Corsa rear drums have abs teeth and then fit the sensor... done :p

Nobby
20-11-11, 05:00 PM
Corsa rear drums have abs teeth and then fit the sensor... done :p

cheeky!! point taken! :p

Stuart
20-11-11, 06:24 PM
Although would be better on the front to give you a more realistic setup.

Do Corsa uprights fit with no 'bad' things happening to the rest of the car?

Mike
20-11-11, 06:29 PM
Straight swap onto a Nova AFAIK.