PDA

View Full Version : Diesel engine swap - what can be fitted thats BIGGER than a 1.7TD?

pyromaniac_yeti
17-11-11, 10:15 PM
I've got the 1.5TD engine in my nova, unfourtunately im coming to the conclusion that its a bit ****ed. Shedloads of smoke on startup (blue), a ton of oil coming out the breather, and to top things off an icky wastegate aswell...been this way scince i bought it :roll:

Anyway, was planning on the 1.7TD swap. Decided why not push it a bit further.

Assuming i did the conversion to the 2.0 box/1.6 driveshafts like you'd do with a 2.0 conversion, what bigger engines are there than the 1.7 that'd fit?

2.2 four pot in the omega, theres a 2.5TD isuzu four pot? Anyone know what'd go on what box? :thumb:

Dervy
17-11-11, 10:58 PM
i don`t know but im guessing 2.2 and 2.5 would be too wide to fit in the nova as the 1.7 are a pretty tight fit, but if you can do it then it would be an absolute monster, you`ll have to get down the scrappy and take some measurements :)

pyromaniac_yeti
17-11-11, 11:11 PM
It'd almost certainly want the chassis notching somewhere to get it to go, but i mean the saab 2.2 (the old non common rail one, im lead to belive they are identical to the vauxhall one, and searches on ebay make them cheaper too!) makes for 120bhp out of the box.

Now i had a rental which weighed in at around 1200kg, with a 115bhp CRDI engine in it and that was f*cking rapid. Remember booting it five minuites after getting it down a motorway sliproad like i would have in my 1.8 N/A courier, straight out into the outside lane and glancing at the speedo to see it zipping past 110! quite happily pulled to 130 before i'd **** myself.

So thats a reasonable assumption to say the 2.2 could make around 150-160 with a big intercooler and a ****load of boost.

35bhp more and loosing around 400-450KG sounds like a very appealing prospect. And having driven a 1.9TDI around for ages, i KNOW something around 2.0 in diesel isnt going to break the bank MPG wise if driven sensibly.

The issue comes in with mating up a gearbox/driveline...what boxes would fit what?

mowgli
17-11-11, 11:12 PM
the isuzu 2.5 is a no no. they are huge

pyromaniac_yeti
17-11-11, 11:14 PM
Hmm. So realisticly the 2.2 saab/vauxhall is the only likely candidate...

Dervy
17-11-11, 11:39 PM
im thinking though if you going to the extent on putting a more modern engine in, then why not go for the 1.7 cdti engine from a astra h, as they use the isuzu bottom end so will bolt straight in, and get the right one and you`ve got 130 bhp standard.

pyromaniac_yeti
17-11-11, 11:43 PM
Only reason for asking about the 2.2/2.5 is that they're both (to the best of my knowledge) non common rail, just plain old rotary injection pumps so should be very little wiring/****ing about to be done & tuning em isnt £££ on a chip, its 15 minuites with a screwdriver & a tenner on a boost controller

Dervy
17-11-11, 11:52 PM
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109176

some interesting stuff, the engine dont look to big, but needs a bigger turbo.

Balley
17-11-11, 11:58 PM
I can't see the 2.2 fitting I work on a few of them and there huge.. Have a go though pal as it talks a good fight and will be a true one off!

pyromaniac_yeti
18-11-11, 02:12 AM
Assuming i got a vectra and had the engine out of that, and for a second that itd fit - would i be able to get off the shelf driveshafts to fit it? When the v6 conversions are done do they use the box that came with the engine or something else entirely??

Id probbably have to move the radiator forwards a few inches to get clearance for the turbo...idk. Ill find an engine, measure the rough dimensions and compare that to a LET size wise to see if theres even the slightest possibility of it fitting.