PDA

View Full Version : crankshaft bolt

swedge
16-11-11, 11:34 PM
whats the easiest way to tighten this bolt?

Steve0011
17-11-11, 08:51 AM
loads of thread lock and a rachet gun :)

swedge
17-11-11, 09:24 AM
yeah but how do i torque it?

Steve0011
17-11-11, 09:37 AM
i have never torqued that bolt mate. once its in with the gun the thread lock will take care of things :)

strickly speaking your supposed to torque up your wheel nuts but very very few do ;)

swedge
17-11-11, 10:00 AM
yeah but ive tightened up enough wheel nuts to know when thier tight enough lol

just dont fancy the crank bolt coming lose

Steve0011
17-11-11, 10:08 AM
to be honest i have never looked up the torque setting fot the crank bolt, put it in gear get someone on the brake peddle and see if it tightens to the specified torque?? on the whole car the two bolts that i dont want to come loose (crank and cam bolts) ALLWAYS get a good amount of thread lock glue :)

oops forgot flywheel bolts, they get the treatment aswell

swedge
17-11-11, 10:50 AM
its a hell of alot of torque that goes onto it thats all i remember until i check the trusty haynes, ill use loctite aswell i also used it on the flywheel bolts too

Keif
17-11-11, 11:20 AM
The way I did it when I rebuilt my C36GET was.

Got a mate to hold a bar to lock the crank, then with a torque wrench tighten up to initial torque setting.
Then with a long breaker bar AND a tube, then add on the extra angles to the correct f**kin' tight status required.

Steve0011
17-11-11, 11:28 AM
correct f**kin' tight status required.

FT always the way :)

swedge dont forget to locktight your cam bolt matey

Jonlem
17-11-11, 04:42 PM
loads of thread lock and a rachet gun :)

Terrible advice, impact guns can weaken the woodruff key and potentially lead to a big failure.

If I'm building a engine I'll lock the crank still with the sump off, otherwise I'll lock the flywheel through the starter hole

Jonlem
17-11-11, 04:45 PM
I also don't thread lock the crank bolt, SBD say not too and from memory most books say the same.

Oil the threads, same as you would on the headbolts.

Keif
17-11-11, 10:26 PM
I also don't thread lock the crank bolt, SBD say not too and from memory most books say the same.

Oil the threads, same as you would on the headbolts.

Was going to post the same, didn't want to until I checked.

Lubricate the bolt with engine oil.