PDA

View Full Version : do i need to strengthen the chassis for C20XE?

NOVA-LE67
15-11-11, 09:20 PM
im about to put my C20XE in to my nova (hopfully this weekend) but i am not sure if i should get a stregthening kit first. i know the c20let guys do it but not sure on the XE.
any suggestions?
thanks

Benn
15-11-11, 09:21 PM
You wanna stick weld yes. A plating kit is up to you really, some people do, some dont.

Mike
15-11-11, 09:25 PM
Id say yes on the basis of A) XE isnt meant to be there anyway and B) whilst acessible youd be stupid not to.

NOVA-LE67
15-11-11, 09:28 PM
cheers guys. ill do it :) i dont want to drive it for a month then wish i had lol ill put some pics of the Nova i destroyed up in a few days when there is more to show. it was soooooo chavy, got some good parts off it though :)

steviegsi
15-11-11, 10:27 PM
I definitely would, a standard xe will eventually try to pull a nova apart. The front crossmember on my Gte was f*cked around where the tie bars bolt through.

Lee H
15-11-11, 10:42 PM
I never welded one of the XE's I did as my daily driver and everytime I took it racing at York the front crossmember started parting company with the chassis legs. Had to keep welding all the cracks up and ended up scrapping it in the end. Depends how good the starting shell is though as mine was already pretty rotten.

BRoadGhost
15-11-11, 11:01 PM
When it comes to stitch welding I wouldn't stop with just the engine bay.

And yeah the front crossmember is a nightmare; even stitched and plated the standard one on mine cracked.