PDA

View Full Version : Removing engine

Pete
15-11-11, 07:59 PM
Planning on taking my engine out sometime to clean it and the bay at the same time (e16se)
But safe to say I've never removed one before. I don't have an engine hoist but is it safe to drop under the car? I know how to remove etc but just whether or not to go over or under.

ash.blue
15-11-11, 08:16 PM
Safe to say hoisting is easier but as you say you havent one .. Taken out a 1.2 before by strippin it top to bottom but obvs its a lil easier and block is lighter.
When we pulled the 1.2 out we just took off the bonnet, stripped the engine of all the main top half, pipes, starter and that and then for the block we used 2 thick tubes over the bay (gfrom headlights to windscreen) .. Using rope, we strapped it round the block and the poles and undone mounting bolts.
We lowered it down slightly nd stuck more rope through the block mouting hole (drivers side nd box side) .. Undone the rope on the poles nd moved poles out of way nd pulled it out by hand.

Bit of a long winded process but it worked :) .. Hope this has helped a lil

Will F
15-11-11, 08:19 PM
much easier doing it from underneath - I must have done about 20 without the need for a crane... the only issue will be lifting the car up after the engine is dropped - but I am guessing this isnt an issue, as you arent fully removing it are you?
You just need a really good jack or two.

16v Nova Kev
15-11-11, 08:20 PM
if your not bothered about the engine your taking out then use a jack on the sump to lower it. and just get the car a good hight up. i took my 1300 out in about an hour.

p.s you could take the tie bars and arms off to give lotts of room.

Pete
15-11-11, 08:34 PM
I'd like to keep the engine intact as its going back in.

I have 3 trolley jacks so could I not jack the front up and drop the engine onto a couple of pallets?
And yeah I want it completely out. As I have an engine holder thing so I'd like to clean and spray etc.

Mike
15-11-11, 09:27 PM
Ive got an engine crane you can borrow Pete, providing you collect/return it from Wolverhampton.

Pistol Pete
15-11-11, 09:34 PM
Got my old 1400 lump out and my c20xe in without a crane. All done from the underneath too.

Pete
15-11-11, 09:37 PM
Quite possibly Mike, I'm going to strip it as much as possible on Saturday and then take it from there. Failing that I may need to borrow but I'll have to get back to you on that one. Thanks in advance tho Mike.

Mike
15-11-11, 09:40 PM
Quite possibly Mike, I'm going to strip it as much as possible on Saturday and then take it from there. Failing that I may need to borrow but I'll have to get back to you on that one. Thanks in advance tho Mike.

Yours if you need it, but you will have to collect & return chap as Im properly busy doing CarbonMike stuff through out this week/end etc.

Pete
15-11-11, 09:41 PM
Yeah that's fine mate.
Glad everythings going good with the carbon, in the near future I'd like some stuff doing if you get the time to do it?
I'll let you know more nearer the time like.

Mike
15-11-11, 09:43 PM
Ok chap.

Yeah Im busy alright! Do it all day everyday now on a proffessional scale at work to :D lol

Pete
15-11-11, 09:44 PM
Good to hear mate ;) how long till you get sick of doing it lol

Mike
15-11-11, 09:48 PM
Good to hear mate ;) how long till you get sick of doing it lol

With the cars I get to work on with, and prototypes etc etc, never probably lol

Pete
15-11-11, 10:03 PM
Ohh Ahh, you'll have to send me some pictures ;)
Did you get that Job then? Remember reading something about one you wanted to do with performance cars etc.

Mike
15-11-11, 10:15 PM
Ohh Ahh, you'll have to send me some pictures ;)
Did you get that Job then? Remember reading something about one you wanted to do with performance cars etc.

Not allowed to take pics/use phone lol but ya know lol these things do happen...

Yeah got the job alright :) amazing **** TBF.

swedge
16-11-11, 06:24 AM
ive always taken engines out the bottom way

support the engine on wood or anything else that wont damage the sump
undo the mounts loom shafts etc
get 2 mates to lift the front end up whilst you and a mate pull the engine from underneath

pikey or what eh? but it works

Pete
16-11-11, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the info Swedge, I'm going to give it a go hopefuly this saturday if all goes well.
Then comes the tedious part of cleaning it all :(

Bubba
16-11-11, 07:13 PM
i lifted my E16 out the top....by hand lol bad idea. not that the gte was ever going to be fixed.

swedge
16-11-11, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the info Swedge, I'm going to give it a go hopefuly this saturday if all goes well.
Then comes the tedious part of cleaning it all :(

i always use degreaser from my local motor factors, comes in a blue 5 litre tin for something like a tenner

i put it in a spray bottle and spray it everywhere and leave for a minute then hose it off, sometimes needs a scrubb but its good stuff

cant remember the name of it though

Benn
16-11-11, 09:45 PM
I have to say, rent a hoist if you can. Makes life so much easier. Done all mine from the top bar one. So easy its unreal, but even thru the bottom is easier with hoist as you wont be trying to lift or drop that weight your self.

swedge
16-11-11, 09:46 PM
yeah use a hoist if you can, its a bit safer anyway but is do-able without

Benn
16-11-11, 09:47 PM
And Swedge.. Hyper clean? I use it too.

swedge
16-11-11, 10:01 PM
yep thats the stuff

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Comma-Hyperclean-Aerosol-solvent-degreaser/dp/B004PZNEX6

do not pay amazons prices for it though :)

Benn
16-11-11, 10:09 PM
Pete, SES in Bristol will do it at a good price.