PDA

View Full Version : Help please. Trying to find the source of a noise.

TeddyThom
14-11-11, 05:18 PM
Basically, there is an almighty noise coming from somewhere in my drive train. Sounds similar to a wheel bearing/drive shaft gone. The noise is coming from passnger side. First thought was wheel bearing/drive shaft. Now seeing as they are pressed bearings, I decided to do the cheaper option and use the hub from my Mk1, luckily enough the hubs/brake calipers etc all matched up. Also switched over the drive shaft.

The problem still hasn't gone away, the hub and drive shaft are all good as they were run on my mk1 and they run sweet as a nut with no problems.

The only option left to check is if the noise is transferring from the drivers side somewhere or a gear box bearing somewhere. I'm not convinced on the gear box side of things as it pulls nicely, everything appears to be in order concerning that, I may be wrong etc but can anyone from the PNG wealth of knowledge dig something out for me??

Love love.

7ova
14-11-11, 05:23 PM
does the noise change when it is running and you press the clutch?
if so its your release bearing

TeddyThom
14-11-11, 05:29 PM
Nope. It is constant. Changes pitch slightly when I accelerate and decelerate.

christurboo
14-11-11, 06:50 PM
sounds like your foofoo valve is sticky;) will need a glass hamma to sort it out though

Andy
14-11-11, 06:53 PM
sounds like your foofoo valve is sticky;) will need a glass hamma to sort it out though
Thats so funny.........

Input shaft bearing i would say.

TeddyThom
14-11-11, 07:02 PM

Say what?

Thats so funny.........

Input shaft bearing i would say.

And I'm guessing that means gear box out jobby?? :(

16v Nova Kev
14-11-11, 07:04 PM
how rude he gives advice and you call him a jobby tut tut lol.

check the box has oil in.

Andy
14-11-11, 07:07 PM
Its difficult to properly diagnose based on sound but it sounds like it,and yah box out,may aswell just source a 2nd hand box though.

TeddyThom
14-11-11, 07:24 PM
Luckily enough I have a spare box. But surely if it was a gear box bearing, then the car wouldn't pull properly and I'd have trouble putting it in gear etc?? I have none of those issues...

Andy
14-11-11, 07:35 PM
Luckily enough I have a spare box. But surely if it was a gear box bearing, then the car wouldn't pull properly and I'd have trouble putting it in gear etc?? I have none of those issues...
You wouldnt know if it wasnt for the noise then it will just sh1t its pants and take down the full cluster

Jon_nova1
14-11-11, 08:42 PM
What gearbox? if its an F20 could it be the gearbox on the passenger side bottom arm?

TeddyThom
14-11-11, 08:49 PM
Ordinary 4 speed found on the 1200ST engine, I believe it's a F10...

Novasport
14-11-11, 08:57 PM
What about the tyre, the usual culprit with a bearing type noise. Try swapping the wheels around to see if it moves.

TeddyThom
14-11-11, 08:59 PM
Already swapped the wheels over for my trusty 5 spokes and still got the same noise :/

pyromaniac_yeti
14-11-11, 10:10 PM
Great...

Good thing I've already done all the hard work pulling the engine out of the mk1...****s sake...I swear it was a **** idea getting novas again lol

Balley
14-11-11, 10:14 PM
Diff bearings? mine were loud on mine when I had the F13..

Steve0011
14-11-11, 10:51 PM
as daft as it sounds..... i changed a knacked gearbox on my daughters astra a few months back, several weeks later hum hum hum hum bugger i thought ive bought a duff replacement. turns out it was the rear wheel bearing :)

pyromaniac_yeti
14-11-11, 10:52 PM
Checked em, no play :(

Was my thought after nothing else helped. Even so - isnt that a gearbox out job? Be easier to change the whole damn box wouldnt it??

pyromaniac_yeti
14-11-11, 10:54 PM
Rear wheel bearing just got done, its definately coming from the passenger side wheel on the front.

Steve0011
14-11-11, 11:06 PM
you can pick up a replacement F10 or 13 for about £50

:)

pyromaniac_yeti
14-11-11, 11:25 PM
Or unbolt it from the mk1 thats parked directly infront of it being broken up for spares for £0 :)

Still considerable amount of arseache and more time off work for him though :(

Steve0011
14-11-11, 11:42 PM
lollol did'nt realise you had a doner car, should only take a couple of hours

Connor
14-11-11, 11:43 PM
Is it speed related, as in relative to speed of the car as in if you disengaged gears and coasted it does it still make the noise? Or is it through the revs, and in increases in pitch in revs through the gears like if it had a straight cut box lol.

TeddyThom
15-11-11, 10:26 AM
It makes the noise be it in gear or otherwise. Once the car is moving, said noise makes an appearance. Rear wheel bearing got done, and a full bearing test was done on all 4 wheels. I really hope it's not my gearbox. :(

pyromaniac_yeti
15-11-11, 01:46 PM
Would it perhaps be easier if i film inside the car and post the video?

TeddyThom
15-11-11, 06:31 PM
I doubt very much you'd be able to pick up hte noise mate, however, I have been removing said gearbox from said mk1 donor, shall be having a very quick look at gear ratios tomorrow once its out of it, then the same for the mk2, if I can't fathom out how to change any cogs over etc then I shall leave well alone and just replace the whole box etc lol

TeddyThom
17-11-11, 03:58 PM
Right. Got the gearbox etc all sorted out and swapped over. Got the hub and drive shaft all sorted out and swapped over... STILL got that damned noise... I'm at a complete loss now.

Any suggestions??

Spudly
17-11-11, 04:17 PM
Well if you now know your box is good, your release bearing could possibly be the only remaining culprit if you say all four wheel bearings are definately good, there is no problem with your shafts or anything like that either, youve checked its not your brakes binding havent you as that seems all thats left?

Failing that you know its all good so just turn the radio up till the noise goes away lol

moffat
17-11-11, 04:18 PM
is the clutch ok? cv boots? thats all i can think off apart from has the g/box got oil in it? are the diffs ok?

tis strange

TeddyThom
17-11-11, 04:35 PM
Clutch is alright, CV boots etc are alright... It still pulls alright, feels like nothing has changed yet I've done al lthis damned work to it... Luckily for me I have a friend who actually works in the trade coming down later to see where I have gone wrong if anywhere...

And lol Spud, I tried that but when it starts to vibrate slightly you know it's still there which dampens the mood no matter what song haha

Curtoise
17-11-11, 05:14 PM
are you SURE its not the front right wheel bearing? they often sound like there's a problem on the opposite side.

mowgli
17-11-11, 05:51 PM
/\ my thoughts too...

also is it on the original ac delco brakes?? cos a knackered slider can throw up all sorts of faults, if it is too slack, the caliper can twist & drag on the disc, and if it is seized, then it can cause drag on the disc, so either way, its the same noise...

is the tracking massively out?

TeddyThom
18-11-11, 12:47 AM
T'is all sorted out now, turned out I was a complete utter bellend, and when I was changing the hub etc, I picked up the wrong one and put the fecked one back one... Dozy prick that I am. Proper p!sstake, and now subject to much ribbing from everyone. Ah well, lesson learned, we all start somewhere.

Steve0011
18-11-11, 08:40 AM
what would be really funny is you slung the new one out ;) na just kidding. glad its sorted

swedge
18-11-11, 09:33 AM
haha weve all been there and done stupid crap like that lol

Connor
18-11-11, 10:55 AM
Definitely something i have done before lol

mowgli
18-11-11, 11:44 AM
Before the internet, we kept this sort of thing quiet

swedge
18-11-11, 11:50 AM
Before the internet, we kept this sort of thing quiet

an pretend to blame it on something else you magicly fixed

mowgli
18-11-11, 12:01 PM
no, people just kept quiet about the whole thing in general......

Southie
18-11-11, 12:41 PM
http://www.worldofkronos.com/gifs/seefox1.gif

TeddyThom
18-11-11, 01:14 PM
^^ lol

no, people just kept quiet about the whole thing in general......
Maybe so, but I don't mind admitting my mistakes. We all make them. I shall be even more careful with what I am doing next time I do something.

On the plus side, I know how to sort out my gearbox now if I need to do anything to it lollol

pyromaniac_yeti
18-11-11, 03:15 PM
Dont mind admitting your mistakes?! **** off!!

You even phoned me to tell me not to shout about it on the forums gimp!

TeddyThom
19-11-11, 12:25 PM
I didn't phone you... I told you not to do it, so I could. I didn't want you having the satisfaction of shouting it. Simples.

Curtoise
19-11-11, 08:33 PM
HAHA we have all done something similar, tbh you have balls saying it on here i would have been like "it was the other one" haha

Andy
19-11-11, 08:52 PM
Hmmmm,qualified mechanics eh?!
lol

mowgli
19-11-11, 09:36 PM
i'm glad i am not qualified in much.......

Andy
19-11-11, 09:42 PM
i'm glad i am not qualified in much.......

Same

marc69
19-11-11, 09:44 PM
That's a good and funny thread, a thread on mistakes made by everyone would be a laugh, of course I have never made any.......(in the last 5 kinutes or so)

Andy
19-11-11, 09:45 PM
That's a good and funny thread, a thread on mistakes made by everyone would be a laugh, of course I have never made any.......(in the last 5 kinutes or so)
So,so fail,..................

marc69
19-11-11, 09:52 PM
So,so fail,..................

was the point!

Andy
19-11-11, 09:53 PM
ok then,the humour lol

marc69
19-11-11, 10:16 PM
Sorry, my humour has always been a bit, well unappreciated by others is maybe a fair assesment.

TeddyThom
21-11-11, 10:40 AM
HAHA we have all done something similar, tbh you have balls saying it on here i would have been like "it was the other one" haha

Ah well, I don't care really, think what you want lol

Hmmmm,qualified mechanics eh?!
lol
There is a difference between having a bit of paper saying you can do something and actually being able to do something lollol

Plus the fact that I went to college off my own back, no workshop experience to my name, so mistakes like this are to be expected! :)