PDA

View Full Version : Engine Rebuild

OllieKing
14-11-11, 04:20 PM
Hello chaps,

Im soon to be purchasing a 1.6 8v on twin 40's
iv got time on my hands so im aiming to rebuild it before it goes in. Im looking to get it in the best condition possible on a reasonable budget that will be able to take some stick for the odd track day. Think its done around the 80 thousand mark.

The plans

Machine the head and clean
Hone the bore
Recut the vaulve seats
re grind the crank journals

new rings
new big end bearings
new lifters
new followers
new gaskets
new water pump
new oil pump
new cam belt
and service the carbs aswell as new oil, filter and spark plugs

my question to you is

have i missed anything ??
is there anything on the list thats not worth replacing??
when i get my crank reground will i need a different size bearing??

thanks for the help!

Stuart
14-11-11, 04:24 PM
I'd only get the crank reground if it NEEDS it...pointless waste of money otherwise. Polish will do.

OllieKing
14-11-11, 04:27 PM
cool, was thinking the same, any tips on inspecting the crank, using a plasticgague is the only way i know of!

have some rep

Stuart
14-11-11, 04:28 PM
Give to engine builder, let them measure it..... aslong as they arent theiving *******s and try to blag you for a grind anyway

Steve0011
14-11-11, 05:52 PM
Main bearings ;) but im sure you have them on your list

good tip with the oil pump, KEEP the original GM pump if you buy an aftermarket pump swap the internals from the new one to the GM casing, when you open up the pumps you will see what i mean the casting quality is worlds apart

Andy
14-11-11, 06:01 PM
Need a good micrometer to measure journals then see what the vauxhall guidelines are for tolerances.
Check the journals for scoring or marks.
Check the bearings as a good indication of what sorta life its had.
Polishing isnt dear,i paid £25

philip
15-11-11, 08:27 AM
pistons possibly if bores are too worn, some people will re-ring but dont expect to 30k without it starting to smoke as it will especially if going to hammer it on the track

OllieKing
15-11-11, 09:08 AM
Cheers for the comments, all usefull stuff!