PDA

View Full Version : new biofuels...

Bubba
09-11-11, 11:41 PM
not sure if this has been posted

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/274696/biofuel_shakeup_will_affect_thousands.html

bollocks :(

christurboo
10-11-11, 12:21 AM
were fooked then....

TeddyThom
10-11-11, 12:44 AM
You are having a major laugh?? Please tell me this is some sort of weird screwed up prank...

shed-on-wheels
10-11-11, 12:54 AM
WTF!!! how the fudge are we going to afford it esp in ressesion goverment only think of themselves!!!

Jack
10-11-11, 07:35 AM
Hmm, auto express. It MUST be true.

mowgli
10-11-11, 07:38 AM
read the text...... they said carb cars might not like it...
so every lawn mower in the land won't work either??? i doubt it...

Bubba
10-11-11, 07:43 AM
read the text...... they said carb cars might not like it...
so every lawn mower in the land won't work either??? i doubt it...

and motorbikes?

it might be true...it might be wildly inaccurate but its still ****.

Andy
10-11-11, 08:11 AM
A pipedream for the government at best perhaps............

Jack
10-11-11, 12:54 PM
it might be true...it might be wildly inaccurate but its still ****.
The EU tried to force everyone into doing it a couple years back, the only takers were France and Germany; the latter in which it failed dismally and in some cases led to fuel shortages as filling stations had to sack off storage of 'normal' fuel in favour of the required amount of E10. Which nobody bought. So it sat there going off whilst the (now smaller) regular unleaded tanks ran dry. lol

Heck, if Germany can't do it, we've got no chance!

Incidentally, its not the eco-warrior's wet dream either, as ethanol tends to lower MPG so you use more fuel. Plus its more environmentally damaging to refine than oil, and in many cases huge forests of CO2 eating trees are lopped down in favour of growing the required crops. Oh yeah, that and farmland too, so less farmland = less food = higher food costs. World will end, etc. lol

shed-on-wheels
10-11-11, 02:59 PM
but they are saying that the carbs wont like it didn't they have an addative for when four star went so you could run unleaded? im sure theres bound to be somthing like this for this bio fuel rubish

phazer
10-11-11, 03:13 PM
It'd be cheaper to just put Super/Vpower in than run an additive.

nova_saloon
10-11-11, 05:41 PM
only 8p more i suppose and i find it last longer then normal fuel anyways. but whats makes the older engines not like E10 then? i cant imagine the combustion engine has changed that much since it was first developed till now :S? it goes in it gets squished a little sparky and a boooomy. whats different about this, burn faster slower? if so cant you just get change the timing or up/lower the compression,

Curtoise
10-11-11, 05:50 PM
if this happens. im rioting

phazer
10-11-11, 05:52 PM
Will you burn your car out before moving on to someone else's?

ratboy
10-11-11, 05:57 PM
we should all go out
steal priuses
park them on the m25 and burn them in protest :D

this is a joke by the way :P

Connor
10-11-11, 05:58 PM
Calm down everyone, its a story from the internet, if this was going to actually happen, surely there would be more (reliable) sources showing the story

ratboy
10-11-11, 05:59 PM
wate for the 'sun' to run it lol

Jack
10-11-11, 06:25 PM
but whats makes the older engines not like E10 then?
Ethanol can corrode fuel lines and rubber/plastic parts if they're not designed for it. Also causes phase separation, where water is drawn into the fuel by the ethanol, which (if it hits saturation) can then cause the water + ethanol to separate from the petrol and sit underneath it. If this gets sucked into the engine.. ouch. lol It doesn't take long either apparently, one source reckons you should refresh your tank of E10 every 2-3 weeks :wtf:

Actually, I'm not sure why I'm bothered about all this as neither of my cars use regular unleaded. WIN lol

nova_saloon
10-11-11, 08:23 PM
oooo well lar dee dah with your diesel or your expensive higher octane!

but yeh that sucks, just probs a story thats been blown out of proportion then!

MK999
10-11-11, 08:37 PM
Ethanol can corrode fuel lines and rubber/plastic parts if they're not designed for it. Also causes phase separation, where water is drawn into the fuel by the ethanol, which (if it hits saturation) can then cause the water + ethanol to separate from the petrol and sit underneath it. If this gets sucked into the engine.. ouch. lol It doesn't take long either apparently, one source reckons you should refresh your tank of E10 every 2-3 weeks :wtf:

Actually, I'm not sure why I'm bothered about all this as neither of my cars use regular unleaded. WIN lol

Since it's coming through the fuel lines and not being poured in broken gasket style I can't see a bit of water doing too much damage, water injection is a common way of cooling turbo charge and after having some issues setting up a golf recently and testing the spray patterns (K-Jet system) it seems someone has poured coolant into his tank at some point... it didn't run right, but it wasn't as if it ruined an engine. Also putting only enough fuel in to last you 2 weeks isn't a huge issue lol

Nothing materials wise is any different from an 80's engine to modern day so I don't see where the blow your engine up horror stories are coming from personally, we're still using iron cylinders, steel valves and seats, ally heads and pistons. Only thing I can think of since it references carbs specifically is it maybe eats brass? I.E Carb fuel line banjo's, jets etc.

Jack
10-11-11, 10:16 PM
Controlled water injection is a bit different to sucking in a load of water/ethanol mix instead of petrol though. lol

Also putting only enough fuel in to last you 2 weeks isn't a huge issue lol
Might be for someone who doesn't use their car much - I could make a full tank in the Nova last 3 weeks. Not to mention when its sat around in storage tanks.

garyc
11-11-11, 06:27 PM
Carbs will need jetting richer that's all. Most carbs are compatible with alcohol fuels, well su's are!

Mike
11-11-11, 06:50 PM
Diesel FTW :)

mowgli
11-11-11, 08:21 PM
well, modern diesel is about 5% water... look at some in a jam jar, it is cloudy these days, it used to be clearer.. they add some soap to mix it, its is how ultra low sulphur came about.. its also why modern diesel systems are crap.. & older injectors now last a couple of years instead of 10..

Pistol Pete
11-11-11, 08:23 PM
Hmm, auto express. It MUST be true.

lol the best at automotive billy BS TBH!

Stuart
11-11-11, 08:43 PM
well, modern diesel is about 5% water... look at some in a jam jar, it is cloudy these days, it used to be clearer.. they add some soap to mix it, its is how ultra low sulphur came about.. its also why modern diesel systems are crap.. & older injectors now last a couple of years instead of 10..

Go on, entertain me, why are modern diesel systems crap?...... because you cant 'fix' them with a hammer and adjustable spanner, or some other cunning reason (other than OEM's being pikey on manufacturing costs and sacrificing quality for cost)

If you notice in summer months, most UL is E5-10 anyway as it fecking stinks + attracts insects. Its not a 'bad' fuel, its just not a good one and as Jack said growing crops to make biofuel will cause food prices to ROCKET along with killing more of the planet, nice.
Most injection cars can/will cope with the fuel but anything that was closely cost engineered will be sodding close to lean melt down given it needs about 10-20% more fuel to get the same performance/AFR (lets not forget Lambda sensors wont be setup for E fuels and as such give screwy readings anyway).

We were setting a (crapy) bike up on normal U and E10, it would rev to 8K on UL and 5K on E10 lol

mowgli
11-11-11, 08:57 PM
stuart, there used to be a certain amount of tolerance in a diesel injection system, the new common rail stuff is designed only to take diesel of a much finer tolerance, and with any deviation from that fine tolerance comes the huge repair cost... i've had to do the injectors on a merc van engine twice now, at a cost of £1000 each time.. a few years back , a set of injectors & a pump service would be £200 tops, and be needed once every 10 years.
i think the high flow of fuel is the main reason for the trouble, as the old school systems weren't particularly fast flowing.

Stuart
11-11-11, 09:08 PM
stuart, there used to be a certain amount of tolerance in a diesel injection system, the new common rail stuff is designed only to take diesel of a much finer tolerance, and with any deviation from that fine tolerance comes the huge repair cost... i've had to do the injectors on a merc van engine twice now, at a cost of £1000 each time.. a few years back , a set of injectors & a pump service would be £200 tops, and be needed once every 10 years.
i think the high flow of fuel is the main reason for the trouble, as the old school systems weren't particularly fast flowing.

Thats nothing (really) to do with the fuel quality, its the pikeyness of the OEM in the manufacturing of the injectors/pumps. The Dev pumps/injectors used on the current shape tranny were almost sand proof!!! but then they cost 4-5times more than the production stuff. Not sure whos to blame on that front, the OEM's for cost downs or the general pubelick not wanting to pay real money for real technology lol

mowgli
11-11-11, 09:11 PM
this crap is filtering down onto plant & agric stuff, and the power just isn't there... everyone is buying 500hp wagons cos they are about as quick as the old 400hp ones used to be

John
11-11-11, 09:13 PM
New diesel stuff is actually quite good imho. The first attempts at cr by various manufacturers just needed work. I'm with stu, if they'd not employed pikeys (read french) to make engine parts they'd probably be ok.

Stuart
11-11-11, 09:14 PM
this crap is filtering down onto plant & agric stuff, and the power just isn't there... everyone is buying 500hp wagons cos they are about as quick as the old 400hp ones used to be

but probalby more fuel and tax efficient.... although I'm sure you will know a man whose been fecked over by it lol

mowgli
11-11-11, 09:46 PM
but probalby more fuel and tax efficient.... although I'm sure you will know a man whose been fecked over by it lol

they still burn as much fuel as before.. in an old wagon, there was sooo much torque to play with that you could easily miss out gears when changing up, and they would hang on so much better on hills, but now its all revving & gear changing & buggeration, and don't even get me started on paying £2500 a week in fuel duty...we manage to get tuppence a litre discount for bulk...

Andy
11-11-11, 09:48 PM
bring back commer knockers

mowgli
11-11-11, 10:00 PM
my dad had one of those, i just remember it, i was 4 at the time, they were scary

Andy
11-11-11, 10:01 PM
2 stroke diesels.Proper engines lol

mowgli
11-11-11, 10:04 PM
when i first drove artics, i was coming up the m5 at night (doing 60) when a wagon appeared and flew past me... bedford tm with a detroit v8 2 stroke...it sounded like an aeroplane

Andy
11-11-11, 10:04 PM
Yeah the commers sound like jets lol

Jack
11-11-11, 10:24 PM
http://isiria.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/one-horsepower-car.jpg?w=500&h=412

Andy
11-11-11, 10:27 PM
LOL wtf?

TeddyThom
12-11-11, 10:45 AM
http://isiria.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/one-horsepower-car.jpg?w=500&h=412