PDA

View Full Version : Corsa B 2.0 8v flat as a fart

wwmnw
09-11-11, 10:33 AM
A mate is having an issue when he goes over 4000 rpm when warm the car keeps revving but not pulling, as if its hit a wall, but when cold its fine. He's tried changing the afm and he was using the 1.6 16v fuel pump which I said to change to the one he took out the Calibra.

Here is a message he's just sent me on facebook

Right changed fuel
Pump it's a bit better but still when it sort of warms up it don't like it under load bit if u sit there and rev it up it's fine it just when u try going for it hits that flat spot bud help !!!!!!

General Baxter
09-11-11, 10:57 AM
does he still have the cat?

sounds like what happened to my calbra lol,
does it sound like its on throttle bodys when under full rev ?

wwmnw
09-11-11, 11:41 AM
Not sure on the cat part but yeah it kinda sounds like its on bodies when planted.

wwmnw
09-11-11, 11:44 AM
I also mentioned the CTS to him with it running ok cold and as the temp rises pretty fast when its sat, after a quick blast round the block he lifted the bonnet and you could have cooked a cow on the manifold, it had been off for about an hour before I turned up.

mk1nova_rich
09-11-11, 01:32 PM
Backwards engine conversion FTL

speedyd
09-11-11, 02:07 PM
try a differnet crank sensor. i had a promblem like that with my old nova 2.0 8v.

Andy
09-11-11, 05:25 PM
Try fitting an xe

wwmnw
09-11-11, 06:54 PM
Baxter, it doesn't have a cat. Speedyd cheers for the info mate.

Andy/Rich lick my love pump xx

speedyd
10-11-11, 08:55 PM
no problems :)

Southie
10-11-11, 09:07 PM
Wmmmmnmnn some similar symptoms in this old thread if it helps at all :)

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/other-mechanical-electrical/42124-idling-misfiring-2-0-8v.html

davidfox280585
10-11-11, 09:09 PM
has the vac pipe to the pressure reg got a tiny split in it?

Jedro
10-11-11, 09:32 PM
not getting any fault codes with that paper clip test?

wwmnw
10-11-11, 09:50 PM
Wmmmmnmnn some similar symptoms in this old thread if it helps at all :)

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/other-mechanical-electrical/42124-idling-misfiring-2-0-8v.html
Cheers mate

has the vac pipe to the pressure reg got a tiny split in it?
There was one pipe that had a tiny split in it yes, no idea what its for but if my memory is right its the one on top of the rocker cover which is an oil pipe isn't it? Will get him to check the rest but just to be 100% sure where is the pressure reg and what does it look like exactly, little black thing with two pipes going into one end?

not getting any fault codes with that paper clip test?
Don't think he tried that yet.

Jedro
11-11-11, 08:29 AM
Don't think he tried that yet.[/QUOTE]

tell him to give it a blast, really easy...
if its a 16 prong he should bridge 5 and 6 then turn the ignition on...
10 prong is different
obv check his eml light is working first... count the flashes and look up the fault, mite save replacing things that dont need doing

mowgli
11-11-11, 09:12 AM
If it is running fine when cold, but not when warm, it sounds like a mixture issue.

Will F
11-11-11, 11:28 AM
If it is running fine when cold, but not when warm, it sounds like a mixture issue.

Its electronic injection though - so its going to be an electrical issue, rather than a mechanical/screw-type problem.

If it hasnt already been swapped - change the CTS, but that would bring the light on if it was gubbed.

Jedro
11-11-11, 12:48 PM
sorry as im not 100% sure what im on about but could it be an air leak somewhere?

wwmnw
11-11-11, 11:30 PM
Its electronic injection though - so its going to be an electrical issue, rather than a mechanical/screw-type problem.

If it hasnt already been swapped - change the CTS, but that would bring the light on if it was gubbed.
Yeah I had mentioned CTS to him and it has been mentioned a few times by others too.

sorry as im not 100% sure what im on about but could it be an air leak somewhere?
Possibly mate.

wwmnw
13-11-11, 10:27 PM
Well it wasn't the CTS, or the one I had was broke too.

Bamo
14-11-11, 07:36 PM
i too have same problem on a 1.8 8v spi engine and read this i will try a new cts i let u know if anynews.

Balley
14-11-11, 08:09 PM
Does it have a MAP sensor, is there any air leaks to the fuel reg? Sounds like its running rich to me.

Nova_Tek
14-11-11, 08:31 PM
Does he by any chance have an exposed cone filter? My brother, when he was driving the 2.0 8v Cav, had the same thing. Fine when cold, engine gets hot puts foot down, loads of nice noise but flat as a pancake.

Ditched the cone filter, went back to standard and pulled fine.

wwmnw
15-11-11, 01:00 AM
i too have same problem on a 1.8 8v spi engine and read this i will try a new cts i let u know if anynews.
Cheers mate.

Does it have a MAP sensor, is there any air leaks to the fuel reg? Sounds like its running rich to me.
No idea on the MAP sensor not sure if these engines used one thought it was just AFM, haven't checked the fuel reg, would running rich cause this issue though I thought it would return fuel if there was too much?

Does he by any chance have an exposed cone filter? My brother, when he was driving the 2.0 8v Cav, had the same thing. Fine when cold, engine gets hot puts foot down, loads of nice noise but flat as a pancake.

Ditched the cone filter, went back to standard and pulled fine.
He has a filter but I think its routed down by the bumper for constant cold air feed, will double check though.

One thing he did show me recently was a catch tank he fitted, there was some oil in it with water on top of the oil, he's not sure if the water is condensation or the head gasket is ****ed, catch tank is fitted to the passenger side chassis leg if it matters, could it be condensation?

pyromaniac_yeti
15-11-11, 01:07 AM
sounds almost like a carbed engine with a stuck choke...

perhaps an inlet air temp sensor??

Bamo
18-11-11, 07:32 PM
alright mate i been tweaking on mine and it working fine now. put my 1.8 8v in bogging down unable to drive. sorted my exhaust out as i was running a 1.2, put a fuel regulator and changed the mapping sensor and cts. working proper now lad just though u like to know see if ur is kinda same problem. dale