PDA

View Full Version : Woooo :D

TeddyThom
09-11-11, 12:37 AM
Happy days. Have finally completed all of the back logged course work I had for college and am now a level 3 qualified mechanic!!! Just waiting on the certificate to come through the post :d:d happy days :d

Now to find a job in a garage...:wtf:

turbojolt
09-11-11, 12:43 AM
Well done matey, but have you not considered doing a media degree in uni rather then working?

TeddyThom
09-11-11, 01:00 AM
Uni ain't for me mate I'm afraid. Plus you got all the debt shizzle that goes with it, and I cba with that :thumb:

pyromaniac_yeti
09-11-11, 01:49 AM
Bah, if you're a qualified mechanic then get down here with an 18mm swan neck spanner...:d

shed-on-wheels
09-11-11, 02:00 AM
im qualified to bud but trust me never take on a welding job on a ford lol

wwmnw
09-11-11, 10:14 AM
Well done matey, but have you not considered doing a media degree in uni rather then working?

My sister did that, went all the way to London to go to uni, passed her course.

She works in a pub.

mowgli
09-11-11, 10:18 AM
teddy thom, how can you pass a mechanics course without actually working at a garage??

i suppose it explains why you were having trouble with the wheel bearing race, unless that was just you conning us to do your homework for you....lol

Jack
09-11-11, 10:47 AM
My sister did that, went all the way to London to go to uni, passed her course.

She works in a pub.
An ex of mine did an English Lit degree and some child care thing (dunno if she passed though, probably not as she was thick as the proverbial horizontally challenged wood formations) with the intention of being a primary school teacher.

Last time I looked, she'd just bounced around some sales assistant jobs in various shops, the latest of which was in some bric-a-brac shop lol

Doubt she carries any debt though as she was awarded a gazillion grants and probably isn't earning enough to start repaying any loans or owt!

General Baxter
09-11-11, 10:55 AM
teddy thom, how can you pass a mechanics course without actually working at a garage??

lvl 1 is plugging the computer in
lvl 2 is turning it on,
lvl 3 is checking for codes,
lvl 4 is wiping the codes,

:) modern nvq in mechanics :p

i have **** all apart from L o Ler / puwer crap, and still get double figure per hour, so im a lucky one :)

ryansnova
09-11-11, 05:24 PM
im onto my 2nd one now :D

Cle
09-11-11, 05:27 PM
im onto my 2nd one now :D

ditto just started my second year

TeddyThom
09-11-11, 10:05 PM

i suppose it explains why you were having trouble with the wheel bearing race, unless that was just you conning us to do your homework for you....lol

lol
I went to college off my own back. The qualification I have now gained is a BTEC National Diploma in Vehicle Repair and Technology, which is level 3. I couldn't get the wheel bearing off the car, and had tried all the mentioned suggestions and just for the life of me, couldn't do it. I ended up goin to see a friend of mine who took a blow torch to it and heated it up. lol

lvl 1 is plugging the computer in
lvl 2 is turning it on,
lvl 3 is checking for codes,
lvl 4 is wiping the codes,

:) modern nvq in mechanics :p

i have **** all apart from L o Ler / puwer crap, and still get double figure per hour, so im a lucky one :)

Alright for some. Trouble is, I think I'm a bit old to get into an actual garage under an apprenticeship and nowhere is taking them on :(

im qualified to bud but trust me never take on a welding job on a ford lol

Can't be any worse than a nova surely?? lol

Bah, if you're a qualified mechanic then get down here with an 18mm swan neck spanner...:d

Got it sorted out in the end did we not?? :thumb:

pyromaniac_yeti
10-11-11, 01:35 AM
True dat.

shed-on-wheels
10-11-11, 02:55 PM
oh it can be worse than a nova lol also when doing a head gasket or anything with the head of on a rover (you will do one some point) never turn the bottom end over without the head on it pushes out the cylinder inserts lol

Nobby
10-11-11, 08:48 PM
Fair play mate i started doin the vrq Level 1 which i assume is what you did? its good as it gives you an insight but you need to get into a garage because i only did 1.5 days from 3 in the workshop and shat myself when i went into a garage as i couldnt remeber anything as 9x out of 10 i had only done one once! lol I did my Level 2 then Level 3 NVQ and now working for Jaguar Dealership and i have to do my ATA Jaguar Level 3 and then Level 4 next year and will hopefully be a Master tech! You just gotta keep hacking at it trust me it pays off ;)

Southie
10-11-11, 09:21 PM
Congratulations, so what does this certificate now entitle you to work on?

I'm not up on mechanics btw lol

TeddyThom
10-11-11, 09:34 PM
Fair play mate i started doin the vrq Level 1 which i assume is what you did? its good as it gives you an insight but you need to get into a garage because i only did 1.5 days from 3 in the workshop and shat myself when i went into a garage as i couldnt remeber anything as 9x out of 10 i had only done one once! lol I did my Level 2 then Level 3 NVQ and now working for Jaguar Dealership and i have to do my ATA Jaguar Level 3 and then Level 4 next year and will hopefully be a Master tech! You just gotta keep hacking at it trust me it pays off ;)

Nah I just went straight into college and went straight into the Level 3. Kinda gay really... Trying to get into a garage is an absolute nightmare, I've even tried the two weeks free labour and STILL got turned down... :/ depressin much.

Congratulations, so what does this certificate now entitle you to work on?

I'm not up on mechanics btw lol
Mainly diagnostics as far as I am aware... Trouble is, it's finding somewhere that'll take me on :/