PDA

View Full Version : Seh in nova wont idle.

Christ
08-11-11, 07:05 PM
This car is really getting on my nerves now would really appreciate some advice with this.

Car was fine last weekend, put a new battery on today, car took ages and ages to start and once it did it sounded really bad, it was missfiring and spluttering and I had to keep my foot on the throttle for it to run, after a few minutes it cleared and I left to warm up on idle, when I came out to check on it it had stalled. started it up fine, then when I take my foot off throttle it cuts out.

What should I be looking at, someone told me possibly the alternator, but its putting out 13/14volts.

thanks for any help folks!:cry:

mowgli
08-11-11, 07:07 PM
its so basic that the alternator won't be causing it.. look for air leaks, maybe test/swap the cts, and check the icv too. they hate this weather. and also make sure there is no damp in the connectors.

Nova_Tek
08-11-11, 07:10 PM
First check the obvious and check the ICV as if it's naffed it won't stay running. Then check the rest of what Mowgli said

16v Nova Kev
08-11-11, 07:14 PM
if you need parts im breaking one.

Christ
08-11-11, 07:33 PM
its so basic that the alternator won't be causing it.. look for air leaks, maybe test/swap the cts, and check the icv too. they hate this weather. and also make sure there is no damp in the connectors.

if i unplug the cts and the icv should the engine still run?

The car hasn't been out of the garage for about 5 years so damp shouldnt be a problem. would the maf cause this kind of problem?

thanks

Christ
19-11-11, 05:16 PM
Ok update on this, car wont start at all now, tries to turn over fine but doesnt go.

I have done a paperclip test and the only code that comes up is 65, which is an afm fault?

Would a bad afm stop the car from starting?

Nova_Tek
19-11-11, 11:40 PM
Yes it is possible. Remember my dad's SEH had problems many years ago, bad idle, increasing idle, cutting out etc.