PDA

View Full Version : URGENT - rear engine mountm threads chewed/solid engine mounts

angusl2006
08-11-11, 06:30 PM
when to install my engine mounts today, firstly and most annoyingly -

The rear engine mounts, the threads in the chassis/captive nuts are goosed! anyone ever had this and what have you done, ive tried tapping it, someone previous fitted heli coils- they came out with the tap when i tried to clean the threads with it, next i taped the worst of the two hole to a bigger size, it should be ok but the back one is the worst, tried a bigger courses bolt but no luck. i cant go a bigger bolt cause il need to drill the new expensive engine mount and the holes will become very close to the edge of the mount making it weaker.

next, the drivers side chassis leg. I offered it up the the mounting point on the chassis and its looks like a need to drill a hold in the chassis for the nut and excess thread, true?
also, the solid engine mount i got for this only has one bolt sticking out to go onto the plate that joins the engine and mount BUT this mount has two holes, is there a new part to buy or is it a case of modifying. The engine is a x14xe incase that is important.

Also, it possible to get a strengthing kit for the engine mounts or do you need to buy a complete kit for the chassis.

Cheers folks

Angus

Iain
08-11-11, 07:02 PM
Can you not refit some helicoils to the rear chassis to bring the size back down so you don't need to drill the mounts?

Chassis leg, try grinding a little off the bolt head and have it facing into the engine bay, you can also grind a little off the mount insert so the bolt sits a little further away from the chassis.

What mounts are they?

mowgli
08-11-11, 07:24 PM
surely you can get the old captive nuts out & weld some new ones in..

angusl2006
08-11-11, 10:42 PM
Iain - they are ones from protec.

mowgli - that would mean cutting a section of it out and re-welding it back in?

what ever i decide to do it needs to be strong, dont wanna pay £500 to enter a rally and my engine decides to break free halfway through the stage.

Cheers

16v Nova Kev
08-11-11, 11:14 PM
could you weld in threaded bar then use nuts?

angusl2006
09-11-11, 08:38 AM
16v nova kev - this was what i was thinking, was gonna see what anyone thought before i went daft!

mowgli
09-11-11, 09:28 AM
do not use threaded bar, use decent bolts. they are way stronger.

Iain
09-11-11, 09:42 AM
You can access the back of that panel can't you? Possible to drill through, post a bolt through and weld the head to the back of the panel?

autoworksnovasport
09-11-11, 09:43 AM
could you weld in threaded bar then use nuts?

threaded bar is only mild steel

16v Nova Kev
09-11-11, 05:42 PM
well u know what i meant lol

angusl2006
09-11-11, 05:47 PM
iain, no its at a right bad bit, would need to do some serious hacking. going to have to cut a section out, weld on new captive nuts then weld it back on! :S