PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearing help please.

TeddyThom
07-11-11, 12:31 PM
Basically am trying to remove the inner case of a rear wheel bearing that has decided to weld itself to the hub. I am at a loss as to how to get it off. The tools I own are mega shiit so am in need of a genius or something to help me get it off!!

Ideas please!

mowgli
07-11-11, 12:34 PM
1. ignore matt brown.
2. get a small cold chisel, and hit it with a big hammer, it will split.

TeddyThom
07-11-11, 12:35 PM
But won't that ruin the hub?? *runs off to find a chisel up to the job

mowgli
07-11-11, 12:50 PM
is it on a nova?
if yes, then you can clout them out anyway. and if it is totally solid, then a new drum is hardly going to break the bank.

TeddyThom
07-11-11, 12:53 PM
Yes it is on a nova. The drum and everything else is off, it's just the inner solid case from the larger part of the bearing that is stuck to the hub. The drum etc is all fine.

mowgli
07-11-11, 12:58 PM
iirc the inner lip of the hub has 2 'cutouts' that you can get to from the other side then you just clout it out.

i have encountered a situation where an outer race has seized into a hub, and it was cured by running a weld round the race, it caused localised heating & when cooled, it virtually dropped out..

TeddyThom
07-11-11, 01:01 PM
Like I said... The tools I have are mega shiit. I don't own a welder (sacrilige seeing as I own a nova!!) so I'm trying to do this with what I have got, which ain't much. :(

mowgli
07-11-11, 01:02 PM
ok, big screwdriver, socket extension, metal bar, bolt.

they can all be used as a drift..

swedge
07-11-11, 01:31 PM
i just replaced mine, there are 2 cut outs as mowgli said so you can access it

i used a 10mm wide cold chisel and my big lump hammer to get them out

just hit 1 side through the cut out untill it moves a bit then do the other untill it comes out completely

it did take a good whack mind