PDA

View Full Version : towing a car without tax/mot

Nebbz
07-11-11, 10:31 AM
What are the laws of this? As i need to know as im moving yards so the nova needs to be shifted off their land. :thumb:

Alex J
07-11-11, 10:37 AM
no tax, no test, cannot be on the road.

Hobbit
07-11-11, 10:37 AM
If the wheels are touching the road it needs insurance, tax and MOT. so your only option would be to trailer it.

TeddyThom
07-11-11, 12:34 PM
If the wheels are touching the road it needs insurance, tax and MOT. so your only option would be to trailer it.

If the car is being towed then surely the only thing that the towed car needs is a driver with a driving licence, obviously the car towing it needs to be all legal but the towed car wouldn't. Otherwise everyone who would take a car to a scrap yard by towing it would need to tax, MOT and insure it.

Hobbit
07-11-11, 12:55 PM
as said you need a trailer. Fixed bars are used for recovery use only so the car being towed woud be all legal.

TeddyThom
07-11-11, 12:58 PM
No you don't need a trailer for the towed car. Tow rope. Sorted. No police car will pull you over unless you are being dangerous. There is a difference between what the law says and how the police enforce it. The towed car does NOT need to be taxed, MOT'ed and insured. Just a big sign saying on tow and a light board if the electrics don't work in it. Seeing as it is going from one yard to the other then I highly doubt the fuzz will even bother.

Hobbit
07-11-11, 01:03 PM
so your advice is to just break the law as it'll be alright?

:roll:

mowgli
07-11-11, 01:05 PM
No you don't need a trailer for the towed car. Tow rope. Sorted. No police car will pull you over unless you are being dangerous. There is a difference between what the law says and how the police enforce it. The towed car does NOT need to be taxed, MOT'ed and insured. Just a big sign saying on tow and a light board if the electrics don't work in it. Seeing as it is going from one yard to the other then I highly doubt the fuzz will even bother.

the law works differently round here.....

TeddyThom
07-11-11, 01:07 PM
Not really no. What I am saying is, if the car towing said nova is legal, and the person controlling the nova has a full valid driving licence, then the coppers won't do anything. I've done it countless times, and got pulled over once, said copper asked us where we taking it, and got the reply of the scrap yard, welcome to follow if you wish. He denied said opportunity and told us to carry on. Therefore, if you are towing the car using a tow rope, from one yard to the other, you will be fine. If it is illegal to use a tow rope as you are suggesting, then why do they sell them? Surely tow ropes should be banned.

To be fair, it's all what I would do, and I've done it enough to know that you won't get any problems from the police if you are towing your car from one place to another.

Do what you think is right at the end of the day.

mowgli
07-11-11, 01:09 PM
just cos you found one cop who let you get away with it, doesn't mean all cops will. each force has their own interpretation of the rules, i live on a county boundary, and its amazing what the differences are...but round here, all dodgy looking vehicles get pulled.

Hobbit
07-11-11, 01:15 PM
If it is illegal to use a tow rope as you are suggesting, then why do they sell them? Surely tow ropes should be banned.

as already said, they are for recovery use where both cars have tax mot and insurance :wall:

Nebbz
07-11-11, 01:43 PM
im so confused...

If it helps it would be towed with a solid bar not rope. If not ill be booking a trailor hire for the hour i need it.. But just wondered if i could just attatch it to the vitara on a solid bar to get it home and offically off road out the way again (i.e back garden)

Hobbit
07-11-11, 02:26 PM
To be legal you need to use a trailer as the car being towed has no tax or mot. Simple.

mowgli
07-11-11, 02:29 PM
hobbit tells the truth.. anything else is up to you....

Nebbz
07-11-11, 02:43 PM
right well thats all i want to know, i am not risking my car being impounded or crushed on false information.....Thanks guys, majourity over the minority here, i will look in to trailers :)

swedge
07-11-11, 02:46 PM
simple way to think about it is all 4 wheels have to be off the ground otherwise it needs to be roadworthy i.e. tax mot and insurance

bai1ey
07-11-11, 02:53 PM
the difinitive anwser would be ring you local authority and ask there advice.
then you have it from the horse mouth.

Alex J
07-11-11, 02:58 PM
http://community.o2online.ie/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/1000i59BA869AA59ABF2B/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

Peanut_119
07-11-11, 03:01 PM
i wouldnt even try it, my mate got caught towing a car from his house to his unit, and ended up with 6 points and a £200 fine, as people have said if its on the road (being towed or not) then it need tax mot and insurance, the only time it doesnt need tax and mot is when its booked into a MOT station for a MOT but still needs to be insured

Jack
07-11-11, 03:03 PM
the difinitive anwser would be ring you local authority and ask there advice.
then you have it from the horse mouth.
They probably won't give you a straight answer either. lol

Law is, if wheels on road then MOT, VED + insurance required. Simples.

....maybe put some mcdonalds trays under the wheels? LOL

Nebbz
07-11-11, 03:09 PM
there was a time it was on those trays........good times

Well im trying to work out what would be cheapest?

Just throw it in for an MOT, get it taxed and insured or trailer it to save the rush? its £110 + vat (i dont know how to work out how the 20% vat thing)

prob be the trailer found one place that will do it.

Hobbit
07-11-11, 03:12 PM
well 20% of £110 is £22 so total would be £132

bai1ey
07-11-11, 03:13 PM
do you not no any one with a trailor nebbz surly there is someone on here in the south that will lend you a trailor for a hour.

Alex J
07-11-11, 03:13 PM
there was a time it was on those trays........good times

Well im trying to work out what would be cheapest?

Just throw it in for an MOT, get it taxed and insured or trailer it to save the rush? its £110 + vat (i dont know how to work out how the 20% vat thing)

prob be the trailer found one place that will do it.ring a scrap man, tell him to come and get it, then your be around £250 in pocket and you dont have to worry about m.o.t and all that jazz!

Hobbit
07-11-11, 03:25 PM
Not sure if Lynz is still doing this? but might be worth giving her a shout as she's not far from you.

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?123799-Recovery-vehicle-transport

brainsnova
07-11-11, 08:57 PM
Insure / book in for motty. Drive it to new yard . Cancel motty. Simples