PDA

View Full Version : 1.3 sport

paul burney
06-11-11, 02:36 PM
If any one has any tips any help is welcome. I have just got my sport engine running for the first time in 4 years and it very tappie is there anything I can do to reduce the noise

Thanks
Paul

autoworksnovasport
06-11-11, 02:39 PM
run it with fully synthetic oil for a few miles "should stop any tapping" providing nothings stuck

Royston
06-11-11, 03:03 PM
Hi Paul,
Sounds like either the hydraulic lifters aren't filling/siezed or possibly a worn cam shaft/followers.

What is the history of the engine, is it as stood for years is or just been rebuilt, a bit more info would help.

If the cam, etc is OK, maybe needs a service, my 1.3SR used to start tapping on start up when a service was due!!

paul burney
07-11-11, 09:24 PM
Hi Royston
The engine has been sat for 4 years just striped it all down and rebuilt it. What is the best way to check the lifters as I don't think the cam is worn.

Thanks
Paul

Royston
07-11-11, 09:31 PM
If everything was clean on assembly, and there is no wear on the cam (worth checking, when worn it is clear to see)

How long has it ran? seconds or minutes?

any wear on the followers or the feet that sit on the back of the valves?

can you get a fine feeler gauge under the cam follower/cam, you shouldn't be able to one the hydraulic lifters are filled

did you oil up the components when you built it?

Got good oil pressure?

Edd
07-11-11, 09:41 PM
my freshly rebuilt 1300 was noisy for about 20 mins

Novasport
07-11-11, 09:43 PM
That had brand new genuine lifters in it aswell.

Edd
07-11-11, 09:45 PM
i wasnt liking it all for the first 15mins lol craig was laughing at me for worrying so much lol

Royston
07-11-11, 10:25 PM
Took @ 30 mins for the lifters to fill on the rover 1.6 k series to fill the other day!!!!!!!!!!!

Hence my questions above;)