PDA

View Full Version : New project 'staight off the farm'

Austin_Nova16
04-11-11, 02:52 PM
I generally dont post much on here, but Im on here daily checking out all of the forums....Anyway I thought I would post some photos of my new project that I collected 2 weeks ago, having purchased about 4+ months ago.. Im constantly excited about working on it and getting it one the road! My current project mk2 cortina (2 years in the making so far) will have to wait its turn until this ones done..

I've always wanted one since the age of 10 when I first started buying Volksworld every month, but thought I would not be able to afford one looking at the prices they go for.

But after getting hooked looking through the classifieds on thesamba.com and finding one very cheap, I finally made a purchase.

So this is a 1960 11 window SO-23 split screen. It is a 'special order' Westfailia which are getting quite rare now. Its the earlier type with bullet front indicators and small window rear hatch. It also has a small sub-hatch in the roof.

The story of the bus is that a family in Texas bought it in 1960 and after using it for a number of years, their daughter started to use it to get to college and back each day - around 50miles each way. At around the end of the 60's while driving home, she fell asleep at the wheel and crashed into another car. She awoke in hospital bashed and bruised but was ok. The bus then sat on the farm ever since until earlier this year when it was bought by a VW enthusiast in Texas, who I bought it from.

Plans are to keep the outside as it is, but we will get in on a Jig and straighten out the front end before fitting a new front clip/floor/doglegs that I got sent over with the vehicle. I have already replaced the RH sill, inner sill, lower A and B pillars and RH rear sill and repaird damage to the rear RH corner. Other than these parts it is a amazing condition! Also need to get it sitting in the weeds!
I will be attempting to re-make all of the interior parts with the same materials as originally used as this is what makes the so-23 special.

A guy on the farm where my unit is has a jig and says its no bother to get ready for the replacement front end.

Engine wise, I bought a 2ltr aircooled engine, then a 2.0 subaru legacy came up for £150 so I got that, but now i'm thinking of TDI'ing it with a VW PD130 engine.. Just so I will use it more. I've also got a bug irs rear end, so I shall be using the box and arms from that (if I can find a porche box cheap enough!)

Hoping to get is done before the summer.

So heres some pics:
On the way back from Felixstowe http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/Austin/so-23/ontraileratthurrock.jpg?t=1320415073

All the parts laid out
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/Austin/so-23/ontrailerwithpartslaid.jpg?t=1320415314
From the back.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/Austin/so-23/rear.jpg?t=1320415038

pie
04-11-11, 03:00 PM
looks a good project fella

ryansnova
04-11-11, 03:05 PM
:eek: total respect for taking a job like that on mate lol good luck with the build ;)!....

Pistol Pete
04-11-11, 03:26 PM
Awesome project.

My mates ex german post van looked like that, well minus the front end stoved in....

lol he finished quicker than its taken me to do mine lol

SimonTW
04-11-11, 04:26 PM
Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Going to be a cracking build! What kind of costs were involved in getting it over from Texas?

Dervy
04-11-11, 04:27 PM
tdi is deffernetly an interesting choise of engine, will be looking forward to seeing this come together.

honie5
04-11-11, 04:54 PM
Haha this looks class shall look forward to seeing this finished fair play to ya lad!

Connor
04-11-11, 04:55 PM
Just leave it like that, seen alot worse campers on the road lol.
In all seriousness fairplay for taking it on, sure you'll do a fab resto on her

Mike
04-11-11, 04:57 PM
TDi engine will ruin that.

Austin_Nova16
04-11-11, 05:12 PM
Cost approx $1300 + £450 costs in the uk. I payed £69 import Tax ( which was 5% vat) - Bargain!

It shouldnt take too long to sort it out see as pritty much most of the outside bar the front end in in such good condition. Will stick a layer of Anchor wax over it to protect and the underside/inside will be made mint and painted - I've just bought a load of 2-part epoxy mastic which will be appied following sandblasting of those areas.

I know the purists would say a tdi ruins it! I did buy an air cooled to begin with .... it was my intention .... But i really want to use this vehicle and travel around europe/uk a fair bit with trips to the south west at least once a month.. so really I want an engine that will do 35+mpg, not less than 20, which it what you would get with an aircooled. Any mods I do to the vehicle to fit the tdi will be reversable.

Cheers all

karl Rowntree
04-11-11, 08:59 PM
Hi Austin

Great find there mate, looks in pretty good condition apart from the front! Take a look on SSVC forum, there is a TDI splitty on there for sale with a few links to other guys that have done the conversion.

Having got one myself I think its a great idea to convert it to a TDI if you are going to be putting some serious miles on it. I dont drive mine often but when I do its 55 mph all the way, if we get there its a bonus! You can always put it back to standard anyway. I would seriously consider converting it to steering rack and some disc brake's up front as these are the 2 things that will make it more driveable, mine is standard and a real mare to drive.

If you get stuck for any parts Austin give me a buzz, I have a few bits lying around the workshop, would be good to help if I can

Cheers

Karl

TANKNOVA
04-11-11, 09:44 PM
mate kev told me last night about this new beast im shore with your hands on it its going to turn out epic! like every thing else youve built !

burgo
04-11-11, 10:52 PM
**** that!! your a braver man then me

brainsnova
04-11-11, 11:35 PM
Don't acid dip it it will fall apart lol

Alex J
05-11-11, 08:45 AM
looks like it came straight from the atlantic lol

John
05-11-11, 08:57 AM
Fantastic purchase Austin! Keep us updated on here with your progress! (karl is yours the black/red split? think i saw it at vw action uttox)

Benn
05-11-11, 10:28 AM
It's crazy what these go for now, even ones like yours. Love the you're taking this on even with the large front end smash. But having seen your skills i cant see it being out of your reach.

karl Rowntree
05-11-11, 06:32 PM
Thats the one John, how'd you know that was mine?

scott.parker
05-11-11, 07:09 PM
Nice buy Austin, very nice, and in good condition compared to the ones you see in this country that age!

Karl I'm sure i put a pic of yours on here from Billing, maybe John saw that as well?

Austin as for the TDI engine, although it's not as powerful i would look to get one of the older 90-100-110bhp non pdi engines, AH codes i think? like i had in my old B3 Passat, they don't need to use oil like the PDi's and I'm sure i read on the passat forum they were a much more reliable engine, i know mine never gave me much trouble at all in the 4 years i had it.

Good luck with it, look forward to seeing the progress.

Scott

Austin_Nova16
07-11-11, 08:53 AM
Thats very kind Karl, Cheers!
I had seen your name over on ssvc and a few old posts. A pritty decent forum!
I'm hoping to pick up a few things at the Slough swap meet next week and that should be me done (apart from a bench seat).

I have read through that TDI build tread a number of times now.. Maybe the slightly earlier engines (AH) code engine maybe so much easier as you say Craig.
Think I will try and pick up a complete car to get the engine and all the gubbins from.

I've booked it in for Saturday to get the bus on the jig up on the farm where my unit is. The guy rekons it will only takle a couple of hours to get it all tweaked ready to chop the front off, so quite excited about getting it sorted. Battery tray and long side sill should be with me today, so will sort those bits this week (as well as breaking the subaru i've got).

Jedro
07-11-11, 09:48 AM
fook me you've got some work to do on that.. should be an interesting one...

twin40s
07-11-11, 10:11 AM
i swear i saw thisd on ebay?

loggyboy
23-01-12, 10:31 AM
'Subscribed'! Will watch this with interest!

Still got the RWD nova Austin?

kevster
06-04-12, 11:22 PM
update fella needed !!!! lol how's tricks will pop up soon .

Danb1987
06-04-12, 11:37 PM
First time iv seen this thread...... Hats off to you for taking on a project like that! :thumb: I would look at it.... Say feck that an leave it alone lol lol

If you don't mind me asking what did you pay for it? These do seem to go for silly money!

Dan

scott.parker
10-04-12, 08:08 PM
An theres me thinking there was an update! lol

kevster
13-01-13, 03:58 PM
Are you still alive bud , what's the crack with the car seen now days

mark_sr
16-01-13, 11:39 AM
awesome project fella dont mind the old vw vans me my dad used to love them.