PDA

View Full Version : Jackning Novas

marc69
03-11-11, 11:11 PM
Hi, a really basic question. Jacking Novas with trolley jacks. Where do you jack yours?

With my first mk1 i always used the jacking points, never had issues, with my first mk2, the jacking points in both front sides collapsed.

I then started using the chassis legs, in from the jacking points with my 1984 swing. My last mk2 chassis creaked and bent jacking up using the chassis legs!

The back is obviously easy, the axle.

Whats everyone's view re jacking on chassis vs jacking points?

brucer
03-11-11, 11:14 PM
on the front i jack under just behind where the front lower arm mounts to the body.

gary_126
04-11-11, 04:53 AM
on the chassis leg where the out-rigger comes. (i made a new foot for my jack, approx 100mm square and bonded rubber onto it, nice and flat and doesnt mark the paint)

mowgli
04-11-11, 06:20 AM
you could simply make up a small piece of wood to mimic the factory jack foot, or even chop up an old gm jack, and make it fit onto your trolley jack.

Jack
04-11-11, 08:06 AM
The back is obviously easy, the axle.
Beam :p lol

I use the rear beam and stands under the rear chassis legs for the back; or the front chassis legs behind the jacking points on the front.

As Mowgli said, use a bit of wood on your jack (snigger, jack wood) - I always do that and never had a problem.

Nova_Tek
04-11-11, 08:34 AM
For the front, what Mowgli said and for the rear the beam is best. But what I find with my jack is that the head is not very large and either side of the rear beam isn't actually the same level and it's at a slant, so a heft bit of wood needs to be used to stop it from sliding off.

Iain
04-11-11, 09:13 AM
Chassis legs where it meets the bit that goes to the sill, seems quite strong and allows you to fit axle stands just behind the lower arm

Also jack mine up under the tiebar bracket, floor where the rollcage mounts, etc.