PDA

View Full Version : H and R uprated anti roll bars

brucer
03-11-11, 06:28 PM
currently my new nova has got all new standard KYB shocks with uprated 60mm springs, now i know its never the best combo standard with uprated but thats how the car came.

im happy with the ride quality and comfortability but in corners it lacks that nice taught steering with too much body roll, i dont want to fit uprated shocks as it will ruin the quality of the ride and as its a daily its kinda crucial (wrong car for it i know).

after seeing over on LMF's site the uprated 26mm front and 22mm rear anti roll bars for the nova it got me thinking of looking into them. surely they would improve the body roll over the standard items.

anybody had experience with them and what are peoples oppinions on them with what im looking for?

thanks for any replys.

bruce

ratboy
03-11-11, 06:52 PM
i have a lowely saloon, was thinking about doing something like this as well, so will keep an eye on this thread :)

16v Nova Kev
03-11-11, 07:47 PM
double up your front and rear one and see whats it like before spending all that cash. personaly i would buy some billys.

scott.parker
03-11-11, 08:04 PM
My mk1 1.2 is on billy blacks and 40mm apex springs, sits nice, rides firm but good, the handling is let down now by tyres..

Pics of new nova?

MK999
03-11-11, 08:16 PM
Only ever seen 1 H&R ARB for sale 2nd hand, most people are against having any front ARB at all.

Mike
03-11-11, 09:59 PM
I didnt think H&R made them for Nova's anymore? Or atleast havent done for a long long time.

brucer
03-11-11, 10:35 PM
My mk1 1.2 is on billy blacks and 40mm apex springs, sits nice, rides firm but good, the handling is let down now by tyres..

Pics of new nova?

whats the differerance with all the billies and colours?

link to my new WIP here scott, http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?177949-brucers-GTE-wip

I didnt think H&R made them for Nova's anymore? Or atleast havent done for a long long time.

heres the link, may be wrong.

http://www.lmfvauxhall.co.uk/Anti-Roll-Bars-Nova/

Edd
03-11-11, 11:04 PM
Black Billies are just uprated standard shocks, I went through 3 front sets and 2 rear on my GTE, imo they are very poor, others opinions may be different

Yellow ones is where it's at tho, the pistons are nearly as wide as the shock body, if your keen you can change the inserts, imo they are the best non coilover set up on the market

I also thought that H+ R stopped doing nova sets ups, might think about getting a sets up now lol a friend has them on his golf, reckons that they are very good, cant say I know anyone running a nova sets up tho

I really really cant understand why people dont run ARB sets ups on a nova, they handle like utter crap without one now matter what engine or suspension set up you have

Mieran
12-11-11, 11:06 PM
they look like this:

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii34/ExTrEmeOc_CH/IMG_0134.jpg
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii34/ExTrEmeOc_CH/IMG_0142.jpg
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii34/ExTrEmeOc_CH/IMG_0144.jpg
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii34/ExTrEmeOc_CH/IMG_0158.jpg

Novasport
12-11-11, 11:23 PM
£345!!!, Fook that :tard:

sport
12-11-11, 11:26 PM
Mieran did you have them on yours?

If so whats your thoughts on them?

Mieran
12-11-11, 11:28 PM
I didn't, just found the pics on the internet.

Too much money imo especially when they're just fatter version of the standards

sport
12-11-11, 11:30 PM
I didn't, just found the pics on the internet.

Too much money imo especially when they're just fatter version of the standards

Mine aswell, was hoping to hear from someone running them.

Mike
12-11-11, 11:30 PM
Well too much money for a piece of bent to shape sprung steel bar!

Whiteline do similiar for a Corsa B, a hell of a lot of poeple rate them very high too.

sport
12-11-11, 11:32 PM
Whats peoples thoughts on H&R springs?

MK999
12-11-11, 11:33 PM
Well too much money for a piece of bent to shape sprung steel bar!

Whiteline do similiar for a Corsa B, a hell of a lot of poeple rate them very high too.

Especially since it follows the same poor design! Proper drop links etc on the front and it might be worth the price tag. Rear is a bit of a lost cause anyway so a bit of bar across it is about as good as it gets lol

Stuart
12-11-11, 11:37 PM
I'd be looking at blading the front and possibly even the rear, but then you are into big money lol

Was given a rough rule of thumb from an ex Zakspeed F1 Engineer, that the ARB wants to be 3-4 times stiffer than the springs used on the axel... seems to work nicely in most applications.

Mike
12-11-11, 11:41 PM
I'd be looking at blading the front and possibly even the rear, but then you are into big money lol

Was given a rough rule of thumb from an ex Zakspeed F1 Engineer, that the ARB wants to be 3-4 times stiffer than the springs used on the axel... seems to work nicely in most applications.

Used ARB blades arnt that hard to get for reasonly cheap TBH Stuart. Obviously gotta know what your doing with them though lol

Stuart
12-11-11, 11:41 PM
Used ARB blades arnt that hard to get for reasonly cheap TBH Stuart. Obviously gotta know what your doing with them though lol

So thats you and me sorted then lol

Mike
12-11-11, 11:42 PM
So thats you and me sorted then lol

lol lol lol

No comment lol

mowgli
13-11-11, 09:42 AM

just where would you fit a blade type arb on the front of a nova? there is hardly any room in front or behind the engine,
above???

MK999
13-11-11, 01:14 PM
just where would you fit a blade type arb on the front of a nova? there is hardly any room in front or behind the engine,
above???

I'd probably go between the steering rack and brake cylinder and straight through the chassis legs, drop the links down to the uprights, or for less hassle and possibly a lighter setup, although the actual ARB would have to be very stiff i.e heavier, across the front X Member, drop the blades onto the tie bars... Less ideal as the tie bars are pretty flexible themselves and you're further away from the actual wheel displacement. Could also possibly work it into a strut brace type position (Although dual purpose would be a pretty inspired design) have the bar across the struts and drop the links through the inner arches.

Stuart
13-11-11, 03:19 PM
Just under where the front legs of a roll cage would go, ok thats a shade low but hey its all fun.

I'd opt for a stronger front end and put the blade where the X member was (or as MK says, an inspired dual use x member/blade arb )

mowgli
13-11-11, 11:10 PM
thats the problem, with a nova, the front isn't strong enough, and the back of the bay is cramped. my old mk1 astra had an arb that bolted under the rack & had drop links onto the wishbones, but the layout of the nova was done a bit on the cheap imho, and the factory arb does the job quite well for a road car, but for track, i'd think its a bit lacking

MK999
13-11-11, 11:22 PM
The standard front ARB is absolutely shocking, you can achieve the same effect by putting contact adhesive into all the bushes. An ARB should be free to move if you took the springs off and jacked the car up and implement a SPRUNG resistance to a difference in displacements between left and right, the standard Nova design works in a resistance to any kind of suspension displacement in the fact that it's rubber mounted in a clamping system to the wishbones.

mowgli
14-11-11, 05:27 AM
it lessens roll between the 2 sides, so that when you hit a bump with both wheels, it doesn't actually stiffen the ride.

call it what you want, but a lot of us prefer driving a nova with the factory arb compared to no arb. the only reason it looks like it does, is cos an engineer was asked to fix the body roll issue & do it at a price,

Stuart
14-11-11, 08:00 AM
it lessens roll between the 2 sides, so that when you hit a bump with both wheels, it doesn't actually stiffen the ride.

call it what you want, but a lot of us prefer driving a nova with the factory arb compared to no arb. the only reason it looks like it does, is cos an engineer was asked to fix the body roll issue & do it at a price,

Could have done it for 'free' by simply revalving the dampers.... given the 'extra'* roll resistance the OEM arb gives, doing it in the dampers would have been equally as good if not better and cost nothing.

*I mean nothing imho lol

Edd
14-11-11, 10:13 PM
The standard front ARB is absolutely shocking, you can achieve the same effect by putting contact adhesive into all the bushes. An ARB should be free to move if you took the springs off and jacked the car up and implement a SPRUNG resistance to a difference in displacements between left and right, the standard Nova design works in a resistance to any kind of suspension displacement in the fact that it's rubber mounted in a clamping system to the wishbones.
Imo the standard front arb is fine, nova's are shocking without them, your uni textbook might tell you there crap tho I expect lol

Balley
14-11-11, 10:22 PM
Imo the standard front arb is fine, nova's are shocking without them, your uni textbook might tell you there crap tho I expect lol

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Edd again.

****innn Gutted as it had to be said! Lmao

Mieran
14-11-11, 10:43 PM
Why is it crap without?

I can see why on standard bushes but with stiff poly ones the tca and tie bar shouldn't have any play in them

Having to think about it, would putting rose joint on the tie bars and a bar going across a good idea?

excuse the very poor diagram lol, blue is where the rose joints go (weld brackets on the tie bar) and red is hollow bar with nuts on the ends to wind the rose joints in:

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/493cfhttp://www.freeimagehosting.net/newuploads/d7895.jpg
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/d7895

Mieran
14-11-11, 10:52 PM
or you could triangle it to the front cross member?

Stuart
14-11-11, 11:13 PM

I've driven STD and modded novas with and without the OEM ARB and frankly its a waste of a couple of kilos of steel over the front axel. Some like it, some dont..... its nothing to do with textbooks (although the Nova ARB design is about as far away from text book as you can get, hence its ropeyness).

Edd
14-11-11, 11:17 PM
I've driven STD and modded novas with and without the OEM ARB and frankly its a waste of a couple of kilos of steel over the front axel. Some like it, some dont..... its nothing to do with textbooks (although the Nova ARB design is about as far away from text book as you can get, hence its ropeyness).

All personal opinion, I personally think the extra kilos are worth it

I built many nova's, big and smallblock with lots of different suspension set ups and will never drive a nova without one, feel dangerous without imo

Stuart
14-11-11, 11:26 PM
feel dangerous without imo

:roll:

Benn
14-11-11, 11:31 PM
What is a blade arb then? Soz i don't know all the techy speak...

Corsa rear white line ones really tighten up the rear (from driving a friends gsi)

Some one needs to make them to fit a Nova.

Stuart
14-11-11, 11:43 PM
What is a blade arb then? Soz i don't know all the techy speak...

Corsa rear white line ones really tighten up the rear (from driving a friends gsi)

Some one needs to make them to fit a Nova.

http://www.alfaholics.com/2010/07/alfaholics-adjustable-blade-rear-anti-roll-bar-105/

Same idea works at the front.
Essentially its a bar (can be spring steel, can be normal steel if you arent twisting it beyond its stretch point), with arms off the ends that you can rotate to adjust the spring in the lever. Think of a carrot, shave out a load of the middle so its a sort of I shape, bending it over the wide section is floppy and over the thin section its stiffer. Thats the adjustment of the ARB and ultimately means you can run any kind of configuration you like.

I've even seen ARBs that are connected by lever arms (like F1) and go via blades to a tiny section of spring steel to do the job A bit like this http://www.serpent.com/image.php?ImageID=1234568280&size=350

Nova_Tek
14-11-11, 11:51 PM
They are meant to be really good but only ever came across a set for sale on ebay a while back... wasn't cheap though. I've got KYB shocks with lowered H&R springs too but not as low as yours. I was running no ARB what-so-ever and it felt good. Put a rear ARB off a GSi so need to see what that will be like together with the poly bushes. A lot of different opinions with running front ARB's. Have you got a front brace? My Nova will also be running a lower brace as well as turret brace.

Maybe try using standard GSi front ARB before spending cash on H&R stuff see if it helps.

Nova_Tek
15-11-11, 12:00 AM
Whats peoples thoughts on H&R springs?

Like I've mentioned before, I use them (H&R Sport springs). They only lower by around 35mm but are designed to stiffen things up as you'd expect and maintain ride quality compared to standard. Had them for 4 years and I can't rate them highly enough as an everyday kit. I'd go as far as saying they are more comfortable than standard Nova springs. I paid a lot of money, but it was well worth it.

Edd
15-11-11, 08:06 AM
:roll::confused:

moffat
17-11-11, 04:42 PM
22mm on the rear is just the same as the GSI is it not? mk2 cav rear ARB fitted to a nova axle would be 1st choice