PDA

View Full Version : can some some 1 tell me how to mesh a mkII grille

bennybull
11-07-03, 04:15 PM
just brought a new grille and would like to know how to put a mesh in it and wether or not it matters if i havnt painted it firs
t

Jim
11-07-03, 05:44 PM
Painted what, the grille or the mesh?

To Mesh a Mk2 grille firstly you need to cut the slats out that are in the grille.

When you've done this you should have a nice hole in the shape of where you want to mesh it.

I got my Mesh from Halfords 3' x 1' sheet of it costs around ?19.

Turn the Grille over, so the back of it is facing you. You will need to mesh it from the back, not from the front.

Line the mesh up to the whole in the grille and roughly cut the required amount of mesh off the large piece so it's easier to work with - Make sure you cut off a little bit more than the actual hole size to give you some mesh to play with. You might aswell cut it square off the large piece instead of trying to cut it to the shape of the hole.

Line the Mesh up so that it overhangs all round the edges.

Get some cable ties and secure the mesh in the centre along the bottom of the hole, in the centre along the top, and again in the centre at the sides.

Continue using the cable ties around the mesh until you're happy that it's on securley. I think I used about 20 cable ties at a rough guess.

Now trim off any excess Mesh that is overhanging (try not to cut any cable ties whilst trimming the excess mesh off)

That should be it.

If you want your mesh a different colour to how it is from wherever you bought it, you'll have to paint it first before attaching it to the grille. When painting the Mesh use car spray paint. Only spray the bit of Mesh that is needed for the grilee, don't spray all of the mesh, as you might change your mind after you've sprayed a small piece and then you'll have fresh mesh to start again.

Some people have been known to glue the mesh onto the grille by lining the mesh up and cutting about an inch bigger than the whole then bending over this excess Mesh and using some sort of bonding glue or even P38 filler from what I hear.

It's up to you which method you use, but I chose cable ties and it's been fine.

Jim

dave.gsi
11-07-03, 07:34 PM
i had cable ties on my mark1 and used p40 on my mark 2. both work just fine

dangermousegsi
12-07-03, 09:16 AM
i used rivets to hold mine on but that was because whenever i bonded it it used to get hot a fall out

bennybull
12-07-03, 08:33 PM
its all done and looks cool cheers for the advice, just thought i'd mention that i also got some 6mm mushroom headed roofing bolts used them aswell as the cable ties they hold it quite well

cheers all