PDA

View Full Version : No spark

BRoadGhost
02-11-11, 03:19 PM
I'm having issues with my C20XE on 45's & Bosch ignition, basically it's not sparking.

With the ignition on there's live going to the module and coil.

I tested + on the coil; 12V bulb & 2 wires, one to earth and other to + [black wire]. Bulb lit up. I then tested - on the coil [green wire] and the bulb also lit up!

This can't be right surely? The coil was new, but is this a sign the coil's destroyed or the ignition amplifier module?

burgo
02-11-11, 09:53 PM
the green wire is for the rev counter and does go on the positive side of the coil if i remember correctly so yes it will light up. does it have a +12v whilst cranking the engine?

BRoadGhost
03-11-11, 10:20 AM
There's two connections [aside from where the HT lead goes] on a coil. The one on the left is "-1" for the rev counter's green wire and the one on the right is ignition live "+15."

I haven't seen if it stays constant live when the engine cranks, i'll do that; I just didn't expect the result I got for something labeled "-1"

BRoadGhost
04-11-11, 12:20 PM
I tested "-1" and "+15" to ground and both gave the same result: the light dipped when the engine was cranked.

I assumed this is a coil issue then & have ordered a new one.

BRoadGhost
17-11-11, 05:56 PM
New coil and new ignition amp module fitted and still no spark.

There's live going to the coil and going to pin number 4 for the module.

http://www.tfelectronics.com.au/images/ignition/Module203.JPG

~ As it reads 0 227 100 203 pin number 7 is far left and pin 1 is far right.

There's also a weak live getting to the + for the distributor.

Southie
17-11-11, 06:49 PM
Have you flashed any fault codes up?

Is your timing okay?

Have you tried fitting any extra earths?

Is the dizzy cap and rotor okay?

BRoadGhost
17-11-11, 08:46 PM
There's no ecu as such so there won't be any fault codes

The mechanical timing is spot on.

Ignition timing is there or there abouts - can't see why that would stop the coil sparking..?

All earths are good.

Dizzy cap and rotor are almost new.

Southie
17-11-11, 08:57 PM
Have you cleaned the surface well underneath the coil bracket as it needs a good earth?

Have you tried a new king lead?

BRoadGhost
17-11-11, 09:47 PM
Heh just read the thread "C20XE H&H igngition wiring" and the subsequent link with the wiring explained.

I have no idea what's more worrying - the fact mine ran for a number of years or EVEN AT ALL not wired up like that on the exact same setup.

Perhaps I should rewire it to how they've done it!

BRoadGhost
17-11-11, 09:50 PM
And yeah I was even out there a couple of days ago welding nuts to the underside of the body to ensure a perfect earth for the bracket.

I've run the setup on brand new leads just to eliminate that possibility.

BRoadGhost
18-11-11, 10:59 PM
Just checked everything & although the wires are a different colour they were pretty much as they should have been - had to send the dizzy back to H&H to get the hall effect sensor tested...

Running out of options & not driven the thing for four months.