PDA

View Full Version : Fk type coilovers vs normal uprated shocks and springs

gtegary
01-11-11, 09:03 PM
What are people views on fk type cheap coilovers?

I've fitted a few novas with the fk kits and had a nightmare with tracking, camber being out and knocking...

Which has lead me to go down the route of uprated normal shocks with springs?

I want to drop the car 80mm and have bought a few set of 80mm springs and have sourced uprated shocks, but want to know if there is much advantage to fitting front coilovers?

pyromaniac_yeti
01-11-11, 09:56 PM
I'm having a simmilar problem with FK's at the minuite.

I plan to try and resolve this by fitting a non progressive 225lb 9" spring to them and see if this solves the problem...I'll keep you updated as to progress - they should be going on tomorrow.

gtegary
01-11-11, 10:08 PM
Cheers. I think the knocking maybe just down to poor design or fault with fk, as one car I had them on knocked and the current one I have doesn't??

I was just wondering what advantages coilovers had over the upgraded shock and spring setup??

pyromaniac_yeti
02-11-11, 02:09 AM
Height adjustability on the cheap ones, on the expensive ones bound/rebound damping adjustability too (that said you get that option on the more expensive shocks for most cars)

pyromaniac_yeti
02-11-11, 11:35 PM
The replacement springs arent a direct fit as the FK springs are sort of cone shaped. as in they're not the same ID either end!

That said they'll definately fit if the ID on the new spring is ground out a few MM from the 2 1/4", and the spring seat gets made a little smaller to match. again i'd guess at about 2-3mm. Nothing major tbh...gonna try an engineering firm and see if they can run it up in a lathe or something to do it quickly and easily cause i've run out of dremel sanding bits!!