PDA

View Full Version : Help with coilovers

Nova_Ro
30-10-11, 11:36 AM
hey all,
im looking to get myself a cheep set of coilovers for the more door in the next few weeks but noticed i would need to get the top mounts of my current shocks to fit them as the ones im looking at dont come with a replacment, i have a full set of standard springs and shocks a shed somewhere so that would be the doner for them,
but i have tried in the past to take them apart and was not succsesful :confused:
i have two spring clamps and most other tools i can imagin i would need but still no luck getting the bolt on the very top off?
can anyone point me in the right dirrection?

Nobby
30-10-11, 12:18 PM
piece of piss mate ideally u want a vice to clamp the strut in, you need to clamp the spring up with the clamps even on each side then you will need a crank handed spanner ideally i think its a 19mm and a allen key bit to hold the strut piston, and loosen it off and put the the top mount onto the new strut but remeber which way it goes.

Curtoise
03-11-11, 04:20 PM
yeah i find the easiest way is to gun it off, if u don't have access to that go to a local garage and offer them a tenna to do it, most would help. if not and u dont plan on re-using the shock your getting the top mount off i used mole grips to hold the piston still while i used a rachet and socket to loosen the nut off. hope this helps cheers