PDA

View Full Version : LET Brake Pad Recommendations

Nova_Tek
29-10-11, 09:09 PM
I know there are a few thread about pads in general but want to know what everyone rates on their motor.

Standard replacement discs (QH or Delphi IIRC) but pads wise I know they need to be good. Will only be used for fast road but don't want them to fade or cook if I need to ever throw out the anchors.

I've heard people mention - EBC, Mintex, Black Diamond, Ferodo but any particular model?

:thumb:

Mieran
29-10-11, 10:16 PM
Will help if you add what calipers you're planning to run.

I had 256s with ferodo ds2500 pads, wasn't up to the job imo. Need something better for LET power.

mowgli
29-10-11, 10:17 PM
i'd say 288mm with gm pads for a start.

Nova_Tek
29-10-11, 10:20 PM
It's currently on 256's so pads for that at the moment.

Will F
31-10-11, 08:57 AM
Get 288s - a decent 2nd hand set wont be much more than a decent set of 256 pads!

Steve0011
31-10-11, 12:21 PM
I have used loads of mintex 1166's on my scooby (sti and wrx) good all round pads for 'spirited' driving they do squeel a bit when cold tho :)

i did try EBC red stuff ceramic on one of my wrx's must say the only pad that i ever faded big style :( that was about 6 years ago EBC have now got a new compound and is quite rated.

hope this helps

Stuart
31-10-11, 02:34 PM
Never ever ever ever ever fit EBC pads to anything that weighs less than 1.5Tons.

IF you can get them, I'd look at Carbon Lorraine CL5+'s or Performance Friction Braking 97 spec pads, very lairy but oh so very very good (use with plain pikey discs)

Nova_Tek
31-10-11, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the info chaps. Mintex seems to come up often. What about Black Diamond?

Jeff16v
31-10-11, 10:02 PM
Never ever ever ever ever fit EBC pads to anything that weighs less than 1.5Tons.

Why stuart!

Benn
31-10-11, 10:06 PM
I run Wilwood four pots as i couldn't get a good pedal feel with 288 and 284 where a bit poo.

I use Mintex m1144's. Awesome pad.

MK999
31-10-11, 10:09 PM

*greens

Reds were spot on for me.

Edd
31-10-11, 10:17 PM
Ive used greens and thought they were good

Stuart
31-10-11, 11:00 PM
Greens never work properly on light cars (especially if you actually mean it when you brake ;) ), for some reason they work really well on lardy cars though.

Mintex 1144 are great but a bit soft
1155's seem to last 3-4 times longer than 44's and given 99% the same braking abilities etc.
CL5+'s are just stunning! dust wipes off even after leaving it for months of baking in
PFB97's are insane but will murder the wheels and potentially paintwork if you dont clean eveything frequently

Nova_Tek
01-11-11, 01:09 PM
1144's seem to have a folowing and get recommended by many - 1155's too but more serious users tend to use them.
CL5's & PFB97's are what brand?
Heard of people saying the RedStuff EBC are good and EBC them selves say to use RedStuff for Fast Road cars 200+ BHP.
Haven't seen anyone use Black Diamond!

Jack
01-11-11, 03:44 PM
In my experience...

EBC greens = cheese

EBC yellows = good, but as Stu says they seem to only work on heavy cars. I've used them on the Celica for years and they've been great; but thats a 1370Kg 4WD car.

Mintex 1144 = good, use these on the Nova albeit with dimpled/grooved discs - so thats about LET power. I wouldn't recommend them for track use as Lee reckoned they were starting to fade after a few laps of Combe, but for road use they've been great. Well priced too iirc.

I've not tried EBC reds, but people on CCUK reckon they're not good for road use as they don't work so well when cold.

They also like Black Diamond, but again thats on a heavy car.

Stuart
01-11-11, 04:23 PM
PFB97's are Performance Friction Braking brand 97 spec model.
CL5+'s are Carbon Lorraine Brand CL5+ model.

I will always say plain gyppo discs and spend large on pads... discs = consumables.

Dayle_
01-11-11, 05:37 PM
EBC wouldn't touch with barge pole.
Black Diamond Wouldn't touch with barge pole.

The EBC yellows from friends who have used them said they were OK then they tried Ferrodo, Mintex and changed the mind on the yellow's and said they were ****E in comparison, A friend then tried Carbon Lorraine and wouldn't go back to any of the others.

I still say a Mintex M1155 would be ok, Last a lot longer than the M1144 and have a better bite when Warm and can be picked up cheaply.

Standard Discs will be fine, no need for grooved or drilled, just a gimmick in my opinion.

Nova_Tek
01-11-11, 07:02 PM
Thanks Stuart, I decided with standard discs for the time being so I can have a benchmark to begin with then I'll be able to notice what's better when I start changing.

My bro went from standard GM stuff to Grooved and drilled discs and O.E spec pads and says his braking has improved albeit with a tad more braking noise. But I do wanna get good pads as they'll no doubt make the most difference. Nothing worse than faded pads that no longer stop you when you plant your foot down.

I'll check out those brands and models :thumb:

Stuart
01-11-11, 07:10 PM
EBC wouldn't touch with barge pole.
Black Diamond Wouldn't touch with barge pole.

The EBC yellows from friends who have used them said they were OK then they tried Ferrodo, Mintex and changed the mind on the yellow's and said they were ****E in comparison, A friend then tried Carbon Lorraine and wouldn't go back to any of the others.

I still say a Mintex M1155 would be ok, Last a lot longer than the M1144 and have a better bite when Warm and can be picked up cheaply.

Standard Discs will be fine, no need for grooved or drilled, just a gimmick in my opinion.

I'm hooked on carbon lorraines now, I had PFB97's in the past which were face alteringly epic BUT the dust destroyed my wheels, these CL5+'s are 99.9% as epic but the dust wipes off after 3 months lol.

Nova_Tek
01-11-11, 07:43 PM
CL5+'s are coming in around £200 so far in places I've looked. Mintex 1144's are around the £90 mark. Are Ferodo Performance and DS ranges any good? What about TarOx?

Dayle_
01-11-11, 09:14 PM
Yeah Ferrodo DS's are good. If you can ring Questmead up in Manchester for pads. He is MR Mintex, Questmead is a wholesale place but may just sell to you, Our M1155's where about £49 last time.

Dayle_
01-11-11, 09:18 PM
Thanks Stuart, I decided with standard discs for the time being so I can have a benchmark to begin with then I'll be able to notice what's better when I start changing.

My bro went from standard GM stuff to Grooved and drilled discs and O.E spec pads and says his braking has improved albeit with a tad more braking noise. But I do wanna get good pads as they'll no doubt make the most difference. Nothing worse than faded pads that no longer stop you when you plant your foot down.

I'll check out those brands and models :thumb:

End of the day discs are discs, Its all down to the pad and that too goes for Calipers, Its the Pad that does the job.

I always wonder about these Tarox 120 Grove discs or how ever many they have how can they be any better than a solid disc??? Surface area of pad to disc and all that, I could never get my head around it.

Stuart
02-11-11, 10:12 AM
agreed, I cant see how a massively reduced disc face can be any real use other than eating through pads in no time.

£200 for CL5+'s.. WOW thats a bit steep :s I'd not pay that much for them lol
Questmead do sell to individuals, they just dont say that because they would get tons of douchebags calling up all the time. IMHO I'd not go for 1144's but go straight to 55's since the extra cost is naff all but they last 3-4 times longer.

Nova_Tek
02-11-11, 04:37 PM
But the 55's are described as a track pad on some sites so will they work if they haven't been 'warmed up'

Stuart
02-11-11, 04:50 PM
But the 55's are described as a track pad on some sites so will they work if they haven't been 'warmed up'

Marketing people need a kicking.

Trust me, they arent upto full strength when cold BUT they are still infinitely better than OEM. MOT etc no problems.

Nova_Tek
02-11-11, 04:56 PM
Cool mate, sounds like a plan. Appreciate it.

Will call up Questmead and see if I can get some direct from them as the pricing sounds much more competitive.

phunkynova
02-11-11, 05:00 PM
I run Mintex 1155 on my road and rally car, two thumps up :thumb::thumb: and had no problem with them from cold.

Nova_Tek
02-11-11, 05:02 PM
Think that says it all now, unless something comes up better for less I'll be getting the Mintex 1155's :thumb:

Dayle_
14-11-11, 05:45 PM
Did you get the 55's in the end mate.

Nova_Tek
14-11-11, 08:01 PM
No mate, it's been a very busy month... haven't even called up the place to ask them yet!