PDA

View Full Version : Crankshaft Oil seal

phunkynova
29-10-11, 03:22 PM
Is it possible to replace the Crankshaft oil seal (cam belt end) on a small block 8v engine in situ and if so how can it be done?.
Thanks.

mowgli
29-10-11, 05:18 PM
Yes, you remove the crank pulley bolt, which is usually too tight, then the pulley & cam pulley, then you need a small sharp screwdriver to knock into the seal then twist & tweak it out. Then you use a large socket or similar to drift a new (well lubed) seal carefully back in.

phunkynova
29-10-11, 06:03 PM
Thank for that Mowgil.

mowgli
29-10-11, 08:05 PM
i just re-read my post, and when i said well lubed, i mean the inside of the seal, not the outside, which needs to be clean.

now, can i ask what sort of breather are you using? cos crank seal failure can be caused by excessive crankcase pressure

phunkynova
30-10-11, 08:48 AM
i just re-read my post, and when i said well lubed, i mean the inside of the seal, not the outside, which needs to be clean.

now, can i ask what sort of breather are you using? cos crank seal failure can be caused by excessive crankcase pressure

Breather OK the NV one with 2 pipes going to a catch tank plus the GTE high cam cover with pipe also going to catch tank.
Problem came from last rally when the bottom alt pulley worked loose and became oval on the crankshaft and started to vibrate and judder back and fore. :roll:

mowgli
30-10-11, 02:01 PM
ahh. next time clean the crank bolt threads with a wire brush, and use good loctite.