PDA

View Full Version : Virgin TiVo

Mazz
28-10-11, 09:53 PM
Anyone got it installed? Just signed up for it as its cheaper than the robbing ba$tard BT line rental and having Plusnet BB

16v Nova Kev
28-10-11, 09:55 PM
i have had virgin for years and its ok tbh. im getting a tivo on monday yaay

Mazz
28-10-11, 09:58 PM
(I'm quite excited tbh)

16v Nova Kev
28-10-11, 10:03 PM
im getting 165 channels/ 10mg broadband/ tivo box /phone line with free weekend calls for 44quid?

Benn
28-10-11, 10:07 PM
Reading reviews, is it that much different to a Sky+ box?

I'm upgrading to the 1T Sky+hd soon. (have sky+hd all ready but want abit more space)

John
28-10-11, 10:07 PM
is the tivo cable?

Tim
28-10-11, 10:08 PM
my tivo box is due 26th nov. i also am quite excited. lol.

16v Nova Kev
28-10-11, 10:08 PM
1tb is that to record all the soaps you watch lol

16v Nova Kev
28-10-11, 10:09 PM
is the tivo cable?
aye

Benn
28-10-11, 10:11 PM
1tb is that to record all the soaps you watch lol

lol yeah. Strike back, big bang theory, southland... All the normal soaps..lol

Tim
28-10-11, 10:12 PM
1tb means you watch to much telly lol

General Baxter
28-10-11, 10:12 PM
iv got

virgin tivo 1tb, the M package TV, 50mb fibre optic BB, and the lowest phone package, and my mobile phone nokia N8 with 400mins, unlimited text and 2gig a data, all for £60 a month :)

Benn
28-10-11, 10:19 PM
1tb means you watch to much telly lol

What else do you do when its raining out side? Tv rules.

Mazz
28-10-11, 10:22 PM
Mine's TV(M pack), phone & unlimited BB (500gig Tivo) for £36.90 pm

Mike
28-10-11, 10:23 PM
Ive have personally installed a funk load of these when I was at Fujitsu. There pretty good TBH, the apps & games are loads of fun too. I know everything there is to know about them lol lol

bazil
28-10-11, 10:41 PM
Reading reviews, is it that much different to a Sky+ box?

I'm upgrading to the 1T Sky+hd soon. (have sky+hd all ready but want abit more space)

You can just replace the hard drive in your own box, saves buying the new box unless your getting cheap with a new deal,

I can't get virgin as our villagers told them to fcuk off and not dig up our roads lol

andy_mk3
28-10-11, 10:45 PM
I can't get virgin as our villagers told them to fcuk off and not dig up our roads lol

Same here lol

I have a 2TB drive in my HTPC, it's no-where near enough space ;)

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a102/muckingfuppet/utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwOTE0LTAwMDE5LmpwZw.jpg

Benn
29-10-11, 06:02 AM
You can just replace the hard drive in your own box, saves buying the new box unless your getting cheap with a new deal,
l

I've looked at that, but if anything goes wrong then i'm buggered.

bazil
29-10-11, 06:26 AM
Ahh, my box is out of warranty anyway so I'm just going to upgrade the HDD, I've read that you done get a full TB anyway as a quarter of the memory is locked of to run anytime and a few other program's but I'm not exactly up to speed on it all.

Stuart
29-10-11, 09:38 AM
Tivo is more than sky+ though, it 'learns' what you like and records it for you without having to do much. Pretty cool if you are a forgetful chimp like me lol

When we move I'm hoping its to a cable area to get NTL tivo (Dont care that its vergin, its still NTL)

John
29-10-11, 09:46 AM
Yep, living in an area with no cable sucks.

Mike
29-10-11, 09:58 AM
Tivo is more than sky+ though, it 'learns' what you like and records it for you without having to do much. Pretty cool if you are a forgetful chimp like me lol

When we move I'm hoping its to a cable area to get NTL tivo (Dont care that its vergin, its still NTL)

Certainly does, but you ONLY get back as much as you put in. The more shows you rate like/dislike the more things it'll fire back at you saying "because you like xxx you might also like this" an from that it'll it start auto recording. You can also search by actor, producer, costars etc, see more programmes that xyz producer/actor has done, create a whish list so if that programme/film is EVER on it'll record it for you. The search function is awesome. Like Sky you can sync smart phones to it, you can connet TiVo to a PC & copy programmes to your PC or burn onto disc if your into that sorta thing (the install guy wont tell you about that tho :thumb: )

TiVo has been out in the states since about 1992 (obviously not under the Virgin brand) so Im still shocked its only now a UK franchise has only just come up with the technology to bring it here :S

What ever you do, within about the first 2 or 3 hours, DONT turn the TiVo off at the mains. In the first few hours it remotly downloads about 50mb of crap from America, including channel listings & other digital signal stuff, if you turn it off it stops the downloads & turning it back doesnt restart them, the box will be useless.

Mike
29-10-11, 10:04 AM
Oh, and dont be paraniod about "having low signal" either. Digital signals work backwards to analouge. TiVo's allegedly only work between -10dmbv & 0dmbv, same as your normal broadband signal freq. That is actual lies as they'll work upto +7dmbv, and all the red button & interactive services will work upto +7 also (Ive fitted a lot of these at + signals and get them all working fine)

The setup process takes about 40 minutes, as once the box is turned on its a long boring wait whilst it downloads all its shÃ*t.

There are faults with the thumb up thumb down aswell. Ill explain how it works if you want to know lol its quite funny lol

Mazz
29-10-11, 11:12 AM
Thanks Mike!

I thought Tivo had been out before in the UK, years ago, but it need a separate phone (and another line rental) which is way it didn't take off..

Mike
29-10-11, 11:30 AM
Thanks Mike!

I thought Tivo had been out before in the UK, years ago, but it need a separate phone (and another line rental) which is way it didn't take off..

It did yeah, but was a massive flop! Wasnt powered by Virgin tho, was some one else? BT I think?? Apparently it was shÃ*t tho lol

BTW TiVo means, TV in Video out, if youve ever wanted to know that lol. Like broadband it runs off one incoming cable providing your TV/TiVo service & also your internet service. Phoneline is the classic 2 pair copper cored line.

Mazz
29-10-11, 11:32 AM
Yea it was BT, hence why it was crap!

Mike
29-10-11, 11:34 AM
Yea it was BT, hence why it was crap!

FPMSL no surpise there then :S BT equipment is proper old skool & lets down there entire network :S there trying to squeeze all this new fangled digital info/signals down a network of ancient wiring & components & its about max'd out now! Not taking a biased side, as I hated every minute of working for Virgin/Fujitsu, but out the two, VM do have a massive upper hand when it comes to networking!

Benn
29-10-11, 06:00 PM

Ah, see ive been reading about them and that is the best and easiest description of why its ment to be good...

Doesnt sound all that really.... Bit of messing about with liking stuff... Youll get lots of radom sh*te on there... Lol

L33 LEG
29-10-11, 06:08 PM
Is this the same Tivo as what was about YEARS ago? I remember the first day it came to the UK and me and my dad waited for currys to open so we could be the first to get it lol

Was an awesome piece of kit but unfourtanetly nobody else knew about it. Sky plus came out a bit later iirc and although everybody was saying it was the best thing ever, we always thought that tivo was much better.

Even got the free teddy somewhere lol

Adam
29-10-11, 08:44 PM
I have SKY hd, mate has VM tivo, i still prefer Sky over Virgin for tv tbh. The ONLY thing i like on Virgin is the on-demand compared to Sky.

I cant get cable round here, so am stuck with phone broadband.
Cable broadband Sky tv would be my perfect world, but im stuck with 6meg phone.

Hayley
29-10-11, 09:32 PM
Yep, living in an area with no cable sucks.

I know how you feel. I couldnt get sky because my house faced the wrong way!

General Baxter
29-10-11, 11:09 PM
I have SKY hd, mate has VM tivo, i still prefer Sky over Virgin for tv tbh. The ONLY thing i like on Virgin is the on-demand compared to Sky.

I cant get cable round here, so am stuck with phone broadband.
Cable broadband Sky tv would be my perfect world, but im stuck with 6meg phone.

do you loose sky, when it pisses down with rain still? not had it for years :P

Adam
30-10-11, 09:11 AM

Nope, they seemed to have solved that with their new dishes. Had no probs with rain or wind. But its not seen snow yet.

I do remember them days though back at my parents place lol

Benn
30-10-11, 10:36 AM
I know how you feel. I couldnt get sky because my house faced the wrong way!

lol Wtf? You can put the disc on any side of the house... Or even on the garage fence... You've been fobbed off.

Even in the heavy snow i had 99.8% perfect signal. (.2% is lost cause of the curvetur of the earth i was told..lol)

Stuart
30-10-11, 05:49 PM
When looking at houses to buy, I'm instantly saying NO to ones that need the dish on the front lol
Dont want the place looking like a commoners gaff lol On the back, or hidden high up the roof on the chimney ftw

General Baxter
30-10-11, 06:10 PM
Nope, they seemed to have solved that with their new dishes. Had no probs with rain or wind. But its not seen snow yet.

I do remember them days though back at my parents place lol

my old dears old place, you had to trim the tree in the summer, as the leaves blocked it lol

thedjse
03-11-11, 12:34 PM
I have had my Tivo box for about 2 months now somethings are good some are not.

The "like" & "dislike" feature are pretty good alot of shows i would of missed if it hadnt of been for that.

The remote its self is crap and the menus are crap. On demand is cool but not easy to use and not everything is there.

Sometimes my box misses the ends of shows WHICH REALLY PISSES ME OFF!!!!

It dosent help the guy just gave me a book and went its pretty complicated read through that.

Jack
03-11-11, 01:06 PM
lol Wtf? You can put the disc on any side of the house... Or even on the garage fence... You've been fobbed off.
Hayley has no land round her house though, plus its surrounded by massive historic residences so can barely see the sky let alone anything else lol

Mike
03-11-11, 05:15 PM
I Sometimes my box misses the ends of shows WHICH REALLY PISSES ME OFF!!!!

Thats actually nothing to do with the the box, its down to the TV channel broadcasting the programme.

ALL the install guys are told & trained to give every customer (domestic or business install) a demo & crash course how to operate any new equipment. Tut tut tut, naughty Virgin techy lol the remote is dead simple to use lol very similiar theory to the oringal V+ only thing that confuses people is the back button lol

You used any of the apps yet, the youtube one is right handy lol espcially if youve got a projector!

Adam
03-11-11, 06:00 PM
Thats actually nothing to do with the the box, its down to the TV channel broadcasting the programme.

Dont get that problem with sky though :p
And going by the VM forums,its a TIVO problem, people never have the issues with V+ boxes, just the tivo ones

The remote is ok to used if you aint used SKY before, because everything is like the opposite to a SKY remote lol lol

Benn
03-11-11, 06:03 PM
Hayley has no land round her house though, plus its surrounded by massive historic residences so can barely see the sky let alone anything else lol

So? It can be bolted on a wall out side the balcanny of a flat.. Close buildings shouldn't affect it to much either...