PDA

View Full Version : prices for head work.

16v Nova Kev
28-10-11, 09:42 PM
im looking at ported and polished head for my 1.6 gte engine. am i better of buying one already done maybe. big valves would be good too:confused:

Mike
28-10-11, 09:42 PM
http://www.autosprint.co.uk/

bazil
28-10-11, 09:48 PM
http://www.autosprint.co.uk/

Bazil likes this link lol

16v Nova Kev
28-10-11, 09:49 PM
eek

tommy8252
29-10-11, 12:58 AM
I have a big valve port polished 1600 head for sale pm me if your interested

turbojolt
29-10-11, 01:01 AM
Auto Sprint regound my brothers cams mega friendly and helpful company and good prices aswell

swedge
29-10-11, 07:54 AM
the cam i have is a regrind of my original from autosprint reground to 274

philip
29-10-11, 08:21 AM
just be careful of the spring caps....had them failure and start to split on a couple of engines.

whats the rest of the spec of the engine? no point going bigger valves if dont need to.....same as no need to go mega on the ports so lose power low down.

tom reid
29-10-11, 09:42 AM
As Phil says, no point in having too big a port job and bigger valves if your using the car for a daily driver.
So what is the car being used for, is it a std fuel system etc?

And just to counter Phill's paranoialol, I think Autosprint's stuff is fine, Iv'e never had a failure with any of his stock.

Mike
29-10-11, 10:01 AM
I think Autosprint's stuff is fine, Iv'e never had a failure with any of his stock.

This.

You know what they say......... Its always easier to criticise some one elses work.

16v Nova Kev
29-10-11, 12:13 PM
its going to be a daily driver for most of the summer 1600/40s/cam thought a bit of head work would help?

MattBrown
29-10-11, 01:00 PM
This.

You know what they say......... Its always easier to criticise some one elses work.

His stuff is made in china along with tx autosports stuff. Pay cheap buy twice.

I've seen the valve spring retainers and caps phill took out of the head, and they have split, put them in the vice and they're soft as ****.

Regrinding cams is also a bit pikey, just fills the lifter more to get more lift. Seen them split/burst/fall apart

philip
29-10-11, 01:17 PM
Mike - critisise implies ive not used his parts....ive used guides and been fine and a few lads have used his cams to good results, but when a mates car dropped a valve after 4days on rollers, when i stripped the head, one cap was 1.2mm wider at the bottom of the taper compared to a stock cap, measured the others and they varied betwenn .6 and .9mm wider...so you tel me how its critism when its factual. I told the lad to go with piper springs and caps and he went cheaper, cost him alot more in the endm

Mike
29-10-11, 02:44 PM
Mike - critisise implies ive not used his parts....ive used guides and been fine and a few lads have used his cams to good results, but when a mates car dropped a valve after 4days on rollers, when i stripped the head, one cap was 1.2mm wider at the bottom of the taper compared to a stock cap, measured the others and they varied betwenn .6 and .9mm wider...so you tel me how its critism when its factual. I told the lad to go with piper springs and caps and he went cheaper, cost him alot more in the endm

lol Im not directly implying your criticising his work or parts, merely stating a fact. It IS easier to criticise some one elses work then your own. So dont get so uptight on your high horse.

Years ago I spent the fatter side of £5k at Shenpar engines having a motor & box built. They had left a random washer in the box destroying a £2400 gearset.

Doesnt matter who you are, who you claim you are, god of engine building & tunning or not, shÃ*t will always go wrong. But we all know, the proof is in the pudding, and quite a few people on here have used Autosprint along with loads of people I know based around the Midlands from my car club with great results. Autosprint built Speckys engine (well Jeff claims he did anyway), he aint doing to bad out on the tarmac is he.

Mike
29-10-11, 02:47 PM

I've seen the valve spring retainers and caps phill took out of the head, and they have split, put them in the vice and they're soft as ****.

Regrinding cams is also a bit pikey, just fills the lifter more to get more lift. Seen them split/burst/fall apart

Autosprint actually make a lot of there own parts & obviously all the branded gear is bought in. Grinding cams isnt pikey at all, its a hell of a lot cheaper then buying in blanks that you have no idea how strong or not they actually are until there in some ones engine.

Ive seen/heard of more OE cams snapping then aftermarket regrinds. 3 of them were on here in E16 engines. 2 were Skunk2 cams in Civics an the rest are standard run of the mill affair cars.

swedge
29-10-11, 02:58 PM
when i was looking for a cam everyone recomended autosprint plus they were very helpfull on the phone with regards to what i needed for my engine

philip
29-10-11, 04:00 PM
like i said i do use some of geoffs parts but after ive had a failure with a particular part i wouldnt use it again incase it happened again...common sense really i didnt say all the parts he sells are poor but after having a steel retainer of his fail i wouldnt use them again from him.

Ive seen/heard of more OE cams snapping then aftermarket regrinds surely the idea of regrinds is on an OE cam or have i missed something?

Mike
29-10-11, 06:01 PM
surely the idea of regrinds is on an OE cam or have i missed something?

Its no longer OE if its been altered is it. Pedantic @unt.

tom reid
29-10-11, 09:44 PM

Wrong on every aspect of the above.

tom reid
29-10-11, 09:50 PM
I don't think Phill's being pedantic, he's putting his experiences across, which he has every right to do, given that I have a good bit of respect for Phil and his work, my experiences with Geoffs parts are a bit different, parts can and do fail, the parts phill had may have been used outside of their operating spectrum or may have been over revved, missed a gear, or they might just have been dudds, it happens.

mowgli
29-10-11, 10:01 PM
considering that most 'tuning' stuff is just aftermarket but in a snazzy box....as in shells, rings, oversize valves, etc...cams are usually regrinds of cheapo stock ones. getting blanks just means the original shape wasn't ground into it, and valvetrain stuff will be pretty much pattern too, ok the valve springs might be special, but there are spring makers all over the industrial areas of britain, so sending them a sample of the original with a request for stiffer isn't too hard... the trick is to get this stuff to hold together long enough to win the race or rally.......road usage will be way harder on this stuff as competition engines are warmed up properly, tuned properly & have a finite life.

bazil
29-10-11, 11:39 PM
someone answer me a simple question

SHOULD I USE AUTOSPRINT TO PORT A HEAD?

lets not throw handbags just tell me if you can name a better source to port my head?

turbojolt
29-10-11, 11:48 PM
From the service me and my brother revived yes.very good company

philip
30-10-11, 12:32 PM
ive seen some of his heads and been good tbf.

16v Nova Kev
30-10-11, 06:19 PM
what do you get done with a stage 2/3 head

mowgli
30-10-11, 07:10 PM
well, stages of tuning went out with radio one on 275/285m on the medium wave (AM)

stage 2??? stage 3?? what does it mean? no-one knows. it is no longer relevant.. total performance of the engine is the important thing.

16v Nova Kev
30-10-11, 07:17 PM
ist cos they advertise it as a stage 2/3 or full race just wondered what the differance was.

phunkynova
30-10-11, 07:29 PM
I use Autosprint stuff and no problems yet. Was very helpful on the phone with me so I can only say YES the kit from him works well. :thumb:

mowgli
30-10-11, 07:51 PM
ist cos they advertise it as a stage 2/3 or full race just wondered what the differance was.
thats the problem.. stage 2 is probably fast road... but that is so ambiguous, and then full race!! drag race, oval, road circuit??

philip
31-10-11, 12:29 PM
stage one was usualy head cleaned up, new seals, skim etc. stage 2 was light port/polish, seals, skim, stage 3 may of been enlarging the ports and inlet valves, 3angle seats, stage 4/race, may be stage 3 but with enlarged exhaust ports too. alot of the ford lads still use 'stages' but as mowgli has said its abit redundant now, people tend to spec heads to what the cars being used for, powerband, cost, rest of engine spec. i.e. no point with a race head skimmed to death to go on a standard bottom end, will end up making the motor **** to drive low down and making less power.