PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of an RX-8

L14MNP
28-10-11, 02:02 PM
I'm after opinions and ownership experiences, iirc Saloony had one of these - will have to search his posts.

I want another motor that I can run (not every day) alongside my diesel 106, the Pug will be used for work etc so the MPG I lose with a Rex would be offset by the veg oil warrior (I like to think lol).

The massive nosedive in second hand prices has really caught my eye lately. There seems to be many plus points to buying one, I guess the main one is that I can get a nice modern looking 'sporty' car for buttons.

I am looking at pre 2005 230 models, so no crazy tax prices. The cars themselves can be had for under £3K with average or below average mileage, FMSH, T&T, warranty recall work completed, nice spec and that amazing 9K RPM rotary.
A good deal I reckon!

Apparently the rumours they drink oil as much as petrol is bollocks. I have read a fair few reviews etc and owners say they use no more than any modern VAG, BMW engine etc. Not to mention the fact there's no timing belt changes, so if anything (were you paying a garage to do a belt) buying just the oil for one of these works out cheaper overall.

I know the MPG is crap, low 20's around the doors and 27 on a run roughly, but for the way this car drives I would say that isn't the end of the world, like I say, it won't be used daily.

I'm aware they aren't massively fast either (EP3 CTR region) but 230 BHP and 0-60 in 6.5 seconds along with a good chassis should still make for a fun car that is quick enough I think.

I feel the need for a newer car for several reasons, but detest the initial price that comes with it, plus I want something fun. Even if there was someting else that would do the job of the RX-8 and my Peugeot it still wouldn't run on chip fat!

This one really caught my eye even though it's already sold;

http://cdn.images.pistonheads.com/aimg/3240/3240972-1.jpg

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3240972.htm

It's only a 192, but the prices don't vary that much. I just thought it was a nice looking car for the money.

So, aside from ensuring I find one with full history and any recall work carried out, the lowest mileage I can, and strong pulling rotary is there much else to look out for?
I know about the wheel corrosion and occasional body rust.

I also read that even though rotor tip wear isn't as common on these as previous RX's, it can still occur due to carbon build up from the car being kept below 3K RPM, so 'one careful lady owner' isn't always a good thing.

These engines were made to be caned, infact they require it! On the upside, apparently the already dismal MPG figures aren't really affected by this. lol

Still yet to drive one tbh, gonna do that soon. I reckon I will like it though. Who could hate that sound, the efortless pull, the central Porsche-esque rev counter, digi speedo and what looks to be a great driving position! Lack of torque may be a factor, but it's not something that stops a Honda engine being fun!

Am I missing anything here?

Cheers.

mowgli
28-10-11, 02:17 PM
Stick a chevy v8 in it

L14MNP
28-10-11, 02:21 PM
Someone mentioned one to me that a mate of hers had with a blown rotary, sold to the scrap man for £800. I said I would have been wanting to stick a 1UZ-FE in it rather than get shot for that amount if it was me!

SBC's and LS1's etc are nice, but very expensive. The Lexus V8 is practically free. lol

Anyway, the rotary is a good 50% of the appeal to me, as it's not the best looking car in the world. They've aged well though imo.

Alex J
28-10-11, 03:00 PM
IMO they look ****ing ****, and are the worst mazda EVER made, also need shares in an oil company to keep re filling the ****er lol

L14MNP
28-10-11, 03:03 PM
IMO they look ****ing ****, and are the worst mazda EVER made, also need shares in an oil company to keep re filling the ****er lol

The don't look amazing, but the pre-facelift ones (as above) aren't what I would personally call an ugly car, just it will never be an FD RX-7 though. As for the worst, I think you need to check the history books. lol @ the uninformed oil remark too.

Of course, if thats all IYO then i can't contest it. lol

Any other genuine sports cars of that age the can be had for so little and offer so much? I'm open to persuasion. :) The has 4 doors but looks like a coupe thing is awesome too (IMO) lol

brainsnova
28-10-11, 03:05 PM

Shamon mofo

brainsnova
28-10-11, 03:07 PM
There was one on gummy bears Edinburgh probs still on it red and title is price dropped £4500 to £2500 or something like that.

Alex J
28-10-11, 03:08 PM
id rather ride a chopper bike with no wheels than drive one of them heaps, my old boss had one and it was a pile of dogs muck.

L14MNP
28-10-11, 03:10 PM
lol

Just scrolled up to look at it again, they are quite cool really. You two are just haters. :P

Check the little rotary shaped details everywhere. :d I wonder if it had a Vauxhall badge.... lol

L14MNP
28-10-11, 03:11 PM
There was one on gummy bears Edinburgh probs still on it red and title is price dropped £4500 to £2500 or something like that.

Average price. lol

Hence my interest.

L14MNP
28-10-11, 03:13 PM
id rather ride a chopper bike with no wheels than drive one of them heaps, my old boss had one and it was a pile of dogs muck.

What was up with your bosses, piston rings? lol I know some cars can casuse issues.

A proper sports car with a unique engine is never gonna be trouble free though to be fair. A lot are owned by the wrong type of people I reckon.

Worth a stab at around £2.5K imo - until I hear a good reason why not to instead of the same old tired, misinformed crap. lol

Alex J
28-10-11, 03:24 PM
What was up with your bosses, piston rings? lol I know some cars can casuse issues.

A proper sports car with a unique engine is never gonna be trouble free though to be fair. A lot are owned by the wrong type of people I reckon.

Worth a stab at around £2.5K imo - until I hear a good reason why not to instead of the same old tired, misinformed crap. lolhis was brand new from mazda, and was tripe in a tin, it drank more oil a day than my vauxhall leaked a week, and the same with petrol. utter plop.

saloonwoody
28-10-11, 03:41 PM
iv had a few experienses with them , coil paks (spin over with no compression) they over fuel on start up , rotor tips wearing due to poor servicing ? but not a bad lookin car imo not fast by any means , but id have one just cos of the back doors lol id say get one just make sure its got a good service history :thumb:

Jack
28-10-11, 04:34 PM
Just buy a GT4, then take it to Craig for servicing. Tell him Jack sent you. lol

Mike
28-10-11, 04:45 PM
As with anything Rotary, they cost a fortune to repair when they die.

boomtings1
28-10-11, 07:02 PM
We have put new engines in 2 of these this year both around the 60k mark. If your thinking of serviceing it yourself as soon as you get it take note the spark plugs are 100 for the set. And when you test drive one make sure it will start back up once the engine is fully warmed up. But I do think there quite nice and to say they have no torque can get the back end out ok :) I wouldnt have one tho unless was given me lol.

MK999
28-10-11, 07:44 PM
You didn't tell me the new job was hairdressing?

Olly755
29-10-11, 08:43 PM
I bought a brand new one when they first came out and loved it.

Mazda gave a free thrash day at Prodrive for all owners. Spent he day hooning it around and came away deeply impressed.

They go well when you thrash the bollix off it, handle well and slide superbly.

Luckily I sold mine before second hand values started to plummet. Really cannot believe how cheap they are now.