PDA

View Full Version : L.S.D in to F20 gearbox problems...

nick_nova
26-10-11, 07:05 PM
Hi all,
I bought a F20 gearbox a few days ago, removed the differential hoping to fit my Quaife L.S.D. After the standerd item had been removed i compared it to the l.s.d noticing that the l.s.d is slightly bigger. I then attempted to fit it with no luck due to it being too big to fit.
I'm not 100 percent sure what the l.s.d originally came out off but i believe it was a F18. I have also used this L.S.D in a F28 box, it fitted no problems.

I thought all the diffs where interchangeable on the f16/f18/f20/f28 but obviously not.
Can anyone shed some light on the issue?
Many thanks

nick_nova
26-10-11, 07:07 PM
Also the standerd diff has 71teeth
quaife L.S.D has 67teeth

mowgli
26-10-11, 07:11 PM
am i right in thinking you can't actually change the final drive ratio on an f20?? i thought the pinion gear was part of the shaft..

the diff will most likely be a bit bigger to house the lsd bit, the important bits are the bearing races & the crownwheel positions, how is this one fouling?

Lee H
26-10-11, 07:43 PM
If you fit an F20 diff into an F28 you have to fit a spacer behind one of the bearings and use the F28 bearing. If it has been removed straight from an F28 it will have the wrong size bearing for an F20 fitment on one side.

Also you will need to swap the gear ring round the diff for the F20 one as the F28 probably has a different number of teeth.

nick_nova
26-10-11, 11:31 PM
The diff already has the black gear ring around it. i think il have to explain with pictures.

Change of question... How many teeth do the standard F18 diffs have? does anybody know?

mowgli
27-10-11, 07:56 AM
i think its pretty much been answered above. you need to swap the big gear over & fit the f20 bearings. the black gear ring is the speedo drive, isn't it

Stuart
27-10-11, 09:18 AM
You may also need to grind a little off the inside of the diff casing. There is a guide/article in the articles section (will be a good few pages back) but nova---chris, search wont really work.

steveboyslim
27-10-11, 11:36 AM
The Quaife diff is interchangable between the F16/F20/F18 and F28 2WD
For the F28 2WD you will need a bearing collar to convert to the larger F28 diff bearing which has to be re-used.
I each case the matching crown wheel has to be used.
For the speedo drive gear, the black F20/F16 is used unless you are using Calibra/cavalier Turbo speedo and 16 inch wheels, in which case you need the blue speedo drive gear and blue geared cable driver which I think can no longer be purchased new.

Steve

nick_nova
27-10-11, 01:32 PM
You may also need to grind a little off the inside of the diff casing. There is a guide/article in the articles section (will be a good few pages back) but nova---chris, search wont really work.

That is what i thought but i didn't want to start getting the dremmel on the diff housing just in case they wasn't interchangeable.

Thanks everyone for help il should get round to fitting it at the weekend

Stuart
27-10-11, 02:55 PM
Dremmel, no. Real grinder, YES lol

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?93401-*HOW-TO*-Fit-a-Gripper-diff-in-a-F16-Box

nick_nova
27-10-11, 04:19 PM
Had a second look at it today and fitted the bloody thing! No grinder was needed, i was just being a idiot haha. Had to changed the crown wheel and bearings thats all
thanks again