PDA

View Full Version : URGENT: brake advice

stevenf
25-10-11, 02:00 PM
just wondering if anyone could help. having problems trying to get nova through its mot with the brakes.

front passenger side reading is 167kgf max force
front driver side reading is 206kgf

32% imbalnce on the front

rear passenger side reading is 81kgf
rear driver side reading is 67kgf.

22% imbalance on the rear

am i right in thinking that the bakes run on a diagonal split and if i adjust the rear drivers side up that the front passenger side shoud get a higher reading?

front brakes are 256mm astra gte discs, callipers and pads

any help greatly appreciated

steven

brainsnova
25-10-11, 02:03 PM
Yes they are diagonal and might just need bled.

stevenf
25-10-11, 02:05 PM
whole system has just been pressure bled as both rear brake cylinders were renewed and the drivers side pipe replaced from front to back

brainsnova
25-10-11, 02:10 PM
Did you diagonal bleed it

stevenf
25-10-11, 02:12 PM
started from the furthest away from the servo and worked my way to the closest. i.e drivers rear, passenger rear, drivers front, passenger front in that order.

brainsnova
25-10-11, 02:17 PM
It's ment to be furthest then diagonal drivers rear, passenger front, passenger rear , driver front

stevenf
25-10-11, 02:21 PM
oops thats where i have been going wrong lol will try re bleeding them :D

stevenf
25-10-11, 10:30 PM
well the whole system has been re bled and made sure everything was free. the imbalnce is now up to 64% :( its only the front passenger side wheel that the problems are coming from. anyone got any ideas? i am now at my wits end after replacing the master cylinder, rear cylinders and even trying a different calliper.

AndrewJenkins
26-10-11, 07:24 AM
warped discs?

Southie
26-10-11, 07:34 AM
Here's some ideas and tips for you in this thread CLICKMIGME (http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/other-mechanical-electrical/405952-front-brake-imbalance-bleeding-mot-failure.html)

stevenf
26-10-11, 05:58 PM
Here's some ideas and tips for you in this thread CLICKMIGME (http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/other-mechanical-electrical/405952-front-brake-imbalance-bleeding-mot-failure.html) read through and already tried all that :(

stevenf
26-10-11, 05:59 PM
discs are new. so far i have checked the pistons in the callipers and they move freely, de glazed the front pads, cleaned the area the pads sit in and copper greased them, changed the master cyinder, renewed a brake line to the drivers rear, adjusted the rear shoes, replaced rear brake cylinders and replaced handbrake cable. re test again this morning showed a little difference and the tester told me the calliper was knackered. changed the calliper and guess what. the results were the same.even the mot tester is stumped

stevenf
26-10-11, 06:01 PM
oh and i cleaned all the pipes from the passenger front to make sure there was no debris in it

mowgli
26-10-11, 06:48 PM
is it on the original delco calipers? the sliders could be seized, or really loose, causing them to brake unevenly
have you got some duff pads?
did you replace the rear drums?

stevenf
29-10-11, 04:39 PM
finally got it to pass. went back to original discs, pads calliper and standard flexi hoses.

mowgli
29-10-11, 10:15 PM
my guess is that the new stuff simply wasn't bedded in enough