PDA

View Full Version : new car advice (for my dad)

Asa-James
24-10-11, 08:23 PM
well after some numpty turning across my dad last week and doing this...
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k155/asa_037/Photo-0093.jpg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k155/asa_037/Photo-0094.jpg

i'm now on the lookout for a new motor for him, sub 100,000 miles, economical diesel (due to doing 100 miles a day to work and back) and reliable. he'd ba happy with another mondeo, but if he can get something else with cash in his pocket he'd be happier lol

my shortlist so far is;

mk3 Mondeo 2.0 tdci
Vectra C 1.9 CDTI (alfa engine, i know it well)

and thats it. i wouldnt put him in anything VAG, and he doesnt like japanese cars.

so, does anyone have any other suggestions? or does anyone have experiance running the 1.9 vectra c?

turbojolt
24-10-11, 08:41 PM
What about a passat td there nice cars

Ben
24-10-11, 08:58 PM
Buy my 58 reg mondeo tdci estate

Pistol Pete
24-10-11, 09:04 PM
If the choice is between a Vectra and a Mondeo...i'd go for the Mondeo!

Heard good things about them. Looked at buying one myself, but bought a kitchen instead!!! But i have not heard bad things about the Vectras lol

Asa-James
24-10-11, 09:15 PM
i wouldnt put him in anything VAG,

What about a passat td there nice cars
lol

id rather he spent more time driving it than me fixing it, and i dont trust a PD as far as i could throw one.

Buy my 58 reg mondeo tdci estate

how much you after for it?

and Pete, the mondeo is a fantastic car, but he's not that fussy, so like i said if he can replace his with cash to spare he's laughing

Stuart
24-10-11, 09:20 PM
Veccy C with the 150PS engine is a fast beastie.

have to say I hate VAG's but our PD passat is running fine even at 154K lol

mowgli
24-10-11, 09:39 PM
asa as long as its the old 1.9 vag engine, it will run forever.....look at seats too....

Balley
24-10-11, 09:49 PM
Agreed the 1.9 PD is bullet proof. Skoda Octavia or Superbs are fantastic cars. Very strong and reliable. look out for one with engine judder though as the DMFs are a common failure.

Just don't touch a 2.0litre as they are ****!

What about an Isuzu Cav?? Lmao

Asa-James
24-10-11, 10:41 PM
Agreed the 1.9 PD is bullet proof. Skoda Octavia or Superbs are fantastic cars. Very strong and reliable. look out for one with engine judder though as the DMFs are a common failure.

Just don't touch a 2.0litre as they are ****!

What about an Isuzu Cav?? Lmao

still see problems regularly with the 1.9pd, cant stand them.

and he upgraded from an isuzu cav to the mondeo in feb, so doesnt want to take a backwards step lol

John
24-10-11, 11:14 PM
still see problems regularly with the 1.9pd, cant stand them.

and he upgraded from an isuzu cav to the mondeo in feb, so doesnt want to take a backwards step lol

As per facebook, i think you've been unlucky with your experience of the pd engine in both 1.9 and 2.0 form. It's fantastic. Personally i wouldn't touch either mondeo or vectra. brother in-law has a mondeo, and it's been nothing but trouble, (bottom pulley x2, flywheel, broken spring through tyre and loads more) i've worked on vectras for quite a few years, again nothing but trouble (egr valves, dmf's, inlet manifold flaps, cims and the rest) lol However, hey, it's all down to personal preference :)

MK999
24-10-11, 11:15 PM
Sounds like the Vectra just needs TB's lol

Balley
24-10-11, 11:29 PM
110% agree with John on this one!

Ben
25-10-11, 04:15 AM
I done nigh on 80k miles on my old mondeo after it had been dragged out a lake with a seized engine, freed it up and never had a minutes trouble with it afterwards, was excellent.

Adam
29-10-11, 08:47 PM
As per facebook, i think you've been unlucky with your experience of the pd engine in both 1.9 and 2.0 form. It's fantastic. Personally i wouldn't touch either mondeo or vectra. brother in-law has a mondeo, and it's been nothing but trouble, (bottom pulley x2, flywheel, broken spring through tyre and loads more) i've worked on vectras for quite a few years, again nothing but trouble (egr valves, dmf's, inlet manifold flaps, cims and the rest) lol However, hey, it's all down to personal preference :)

Whats your opinion on Vec C SRi CDTi's (150hp version) John?

Ben
30-10-11, 06:51 AM
Whats your opinion on Vec C SRi CDTi's (150hp version) John?

The 150 cdti engines are great IMO go well and plenty of tourqe just the vec is dull as poo to have it in, the signum and astra drive and handle far better.

Stuart
30-10-11, 08:18 AM
^^ what he said.

If I was going to have kept the VX it would have got a 150 1.9 Veccy engine fitted!

deanwilko
30-10-11, 08:46 AM
i would go for a passat we see plenty at work with over 400k on them (air port taxi cars) run like a dream both 1.9 and 2.0 engines, most problem we have had is the injectors on the 2.0 but vw are doing 7 year warrenty on them so not that much of a problem, compaired to the mondeo's with endless broken springs, starter motors, flywheels and timing chains, cant really comment on the vectra only worked on a couple mainly egr's and dual mass.

Adam
30-10-11, 09:14 AM
^^ what he said.

If I was going to have kept the VX it would have got a 150 1.9 Veccy engine fitted!
Yeah, 150hp, 230lb/ft torque, and 45-50mpg is quite tempting for my next motor.
I dont mind Vec C's, they look ok imo. And they are so much cheaper than a astra/sig.

Stuart
30-10-11, 09:21 AM
Signums are huge cash for what they are.

Dans veccy C is very surprising/irritating lol

Adam
30-10-11, 09:25 AM
Suprising/Irritating in a good way or? lol

Ben
30-10-11, 10:33 AM
I like the look of the vec but the interior and feel is awful. Fit a dtuk box and they fly with better economy, me and the mrs drove both cars from Antwerp to Bristol the 58reg mondeo averaged 44mpg and the astra nigh on 50!

Asa-James
30-10-11, 12:00 PM
well bar the reg and mileage, he bought a carbon copy silver mondeo tdci ghia. and who says old people are predicatable...

mowgli
30-10-11, 02:10 PM
asa, i'm sure your dad wouldn't have paid a blind bit of notice to what a load of nova owners would have to say... he obviously liked his old one, so it stands to reason that he'd go for another one.

Stuart
30-10-11, 05:38 PM
I like the look of the vec but the interior and feel is awful. Fit a dtuk box and they fly with better economy, me and the mrs drove both cars from Antwerp to Bristol the 58reg mondeo averaged 44mpg and the astra nigh on 50!

I'd sooner open mouth kiss you than fit a dodgy 'tuning' box to a modern Derv lol

Ben
31-10-11, 09:53 PM
I'd sooner open mouth kiss you than fit a dodgy 'tuning' box to a modern Derv lol

surely thats a given!

Ben
31-10-11, 09:54 PM
but on a side note how can they be that dodgy if vaux warranty the engines with them fitted.

Stuart
31-10-11, 11:03 PM
They do? WOW.....

Sure its not just the vaux dealer doing the warranty and not declaring it to GM UK. I know of Jag dealers who have supplied a 'warrantied' remap which set fire to the car and they tried to claim off Jag UK to only be taken to court and no pay out for the customer lol

Ben
01-11-11, 05:02 PM
yes you could well be right, was thinking about the astra 888 cdti's by thurlby.