PDA

View Full Version : Fitting full sill panels.

Balley
24-10-11, 06:42 PM
Any one got any photos of how they have done there's? I don't want to trim it much as mine is pretty rotten in areas, yet I don't want to spend hours blending them in! What is the easiest way of doing it?

Cheers Dan

brainsnova
24-10-11, 07:03 PM
Cut out all the rot back to good metal then trim the full sill to form a butt joint or use a joggler then grind back the welds flush and a thin skim of filler over it.

swedge
24-10-11, 07:45 PM
the way i done it was to cut just under the step inside the door part as it was only my lower sill that was rotten the top was fine

i actualy cut the replacement sill first then clamped it up onto the car on top of the rotten bit

drew a line along the edge of the new sill so i knew where to cut but i actualy cut 10mm below the line as i used a joggler to get a smoother finish with less filler and grinding etc

once youve cut along the line go along the lip underneath the sill with a grinder and hunt out the spot welds and drill them out, if the lip on the inner sill is ****ed youll have to weld some new bits in to weld the new sill onto

mine were pretty rotten so i didnt have to drill many spot welds out just gave it a good tug lol

once you have the old bit off give the inside of the sills a good clean and remove any rusty parts, i wire wheeled it all back and gave it a good coating with red oxide primer

with the new sill drill 10mm holes along the lower lip every 50mm

if your using a joggler go along the bit you cut making a small crease in the metal to weld to of not ignore that part

offer the new sill up using clamps/mole grips/magnets to hold it in place

make sure everything is ligned up and tack weld along the bit you have cut at the top just to hold it

you wont get a good run welding along the cut bit so you just want loads of little welds but remember to change what bit your welding to stop the metal getting to hot and warping

puddle weld the holes you have drilled along the lower ege

gring all the weld away skim of filler and your done :)

theres a few pics in my project thread when i replaced mine, links in my sig

Balley
24-10-11, 07:51 PM
Cheers guys :)

davidfox280585
24-10-11, 07:54 PM
good description thats how i fit them though a joggler isnt a cheap tool approximately 60 new

swedge
24-10-11, 07:56 PM
mines is a manual joggler so kinda ****s your arms up after doing a full sill lol

Balley
24-10-11, 08:05 PM
I have a plan to make one lol.. unless I can borrow one that is.

swedge
24-10-11, 08:06 PM
cover the postage and you can borrow mine :)

Balley
24-10-11, 08:12 PM
That is very kind of you, when I get round to fitting them I will pm you.. Thank you Sir :)

swedge
24-10-11, 08:18 PM
no problemo

16v Nova Kev
24-10-11, 09:40 PM
joggle FTW. just please paint/prep the inside of the new sill i see to many people fitting panels that really wont last.

Balley
24-10-11, 09:43 PM
Okay I plan on zinc priming the inside any way and then when there done I have jot 5 litres of wax oil to spray inside there too :) I may re make both front chassis legs while am at it to. Inch by two inch box section ftw!

16v Nova Kev
24-10-11, 09:47 PM
zink of good old rustins red lead anything is better than the std black shiz.

Nobby
24-10-11, 10:07 PM
have a look in my wip theres a few pics how i did mine