PDA

View Full Version : inertia switch

swedge
24-10-11, 04:54 PM
anyone know if any vauxhalls had an inertia switch fitted and where they are located in the car?

SimonTW
24-10-11, 08:13 PM
I don't know about Vaux, but the ford ka has one behind a panel in the carpet near the accelerator pedal for fuel pump cutoff.

swedge
24-10-11, 08:18 PM
cheers im fitting a facet fuel pump and would rather have it running via a relay and inertia switch as ill have it set to a toggle switch

Mike
24-10-11, 08:37 PM
Saxo VTR/VTR also 106 GTi have them under bonnet by battery/master cyclinder. Red rubberised cirlce switch cant miss it.

Stuart
24-10-11, 08:51 PM
Usually V close to the engine. just about all fuel injection cars since 1995 have them fitted.

windfreek
24-10-11, 08:52 PM
Saxo VTR/VTR also 106 GTi have them under bonnet by battery/master cyclinder. Red rubberised cirlce switch cant miss it.

more recent fords like the focus have them also.... but alas, there prone for causing intermittent faults, just like all ford electrical stuff lol

....just about all fuel injection cars since 1995 have them fitted.

dont you mean most euro cars, jap and yank dont have them in most cases, the ones on Bentley, VW, Audi etc all reverse the pump on impact to drain the lines

swedge
24-10-11, 08:55 PM
i take it ill be able to use my spare relay i have from my sri to wire this all up yeah?

Stuart
24-10-11, 09:13 PM
more recent fords like the focus have them also.... but alas, there prone for causing intermittent faults, just like all ford electrical stuff lol

dont you mean most euro cars, jap and yank dont have them in most cases, the ones on Bentley, VW, Audi etc all reverse the pump on impact to drain the lines

I never count Yank and Jap cars in 'all' statements because they are still in the victorian era with their useful tech.
Reversing the pump is just some fun with the harness rather than anything 'special' about the switch.

Do you really really really need one?

swedge
24-10-11, 09:15 PM
well its either that or just run it straight through a toggle switch whioch isnt good if i crash (not that i will lol)

Stuart
24-10-11, 09:18 PM
well you will be using a relay rather than directly running via a switch :p

swedge
24-10-11, 09:25 PM
but dosnt the switch get wired in to the relay?

i dont want the fuel pump to come on untill i flick the switch

Stuart
24-10-11, 09:39 PM
erm...... you use the switch to trigger the relay which powers the fuel pump.

Basically to save pumping a shedload of current through a simple switch.

Adam
24-10-11, 09:41 PM
Fuel pump off a manual toggle switch? Funk that

windfreek
24-10-11, 09:49 PM
things like that have a tendency to lead to things like this

http://static.squidoo.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/draft_lens3130832module19807662photo_1236608494red neck_pool_safety_Please_note_the_power_strip_betwe en_the_two_flip_flops_hazard.jpg

swedge
24-10-11, 09:51 PM
Fuel pump off a manual toggle switch? Funk that

which is why the inertia switch is being fitted

Adam
24-10-11, 09:52 PM
The intertia switches ive removed from various cars over the years ive found to be a bit "weak". Especially Ford ones, i.e. you trigger them off by hitting a pothole in a lowered nova

Stuart
24-10-11, 09:54 PM
I'm still deeply confused what mr swedge is trying to achieve here, especially compared to how its being described.

windfreek
24-10-11, 09:55 PM
i.e. you trigger them off by hitting a pothole in a lowered nova

Or when you shut a nova door/boot lol

swedge
24-10-11, 10:00 PM
I'm still deeply confused what mr swedge is trying to achieve here, especially compared to how its being described.

ok, i have my 20seh running r1 carbs with a facet fuel pump

i need to wire up the fuel pump but obviously dont want it wired straight through a switch incase i crash/roll/ do whatever

if i fit an inertia switch before the pump wont that cut the pump if i crash?
ive read when fitting an inertia switch to do it via a relay

Mike
24-10-11, 10:03 PM
Paraniod about crashing much :S

swedge
24-10-11, 10:04 PM
Paraniod about crashing much :S

lol its not my driving i worry about its other cnuts on the road

windfreek
24-10-11, 10:09 PM
ive read when fitting an inertia switch to do it via a relay

Inertia switches are usually rated about 10A@24V, not quite sure how big your pump is to need more than 240W of power?

Edit*
if your that desperate to fit one, just get a new one for £30 http://www.e-transportation.eu/catalog/product.php?id_product=30

swedge
24-10-11, 10:12 PM
Inertia switches are usually rated about 10A@24V, not quite sure how big your pump is to need more than 240W of power?

Edit*
if your that desperate to fit one, just get a new one for £30 http://www.e-transportation.eu/catalog/product.php?id_product=30

i dont know much about what thier rated for but just after some googling some people recomend using a relay

Stuart
24-10-11, 10:12 PM
Inertia switches never go via a relay (well atleast they shouldnt).

I'd still put a toggle switch+relay combo in so you can control the pump yourself anyway (obv in series with the Intertia)

swedge
24-10-11, 10:17 PM
Inertia switches never go via a relay (well atleast they shouldnt).

I'd still put a toggle switch+relay combo in so you can control the pump yourself anyway (obv in series with the Intertia)

so id put the relay in after the inertia yeah

windfreek
25-10-11, 06:08 PM
if you have to yeah, otherwise it will still be getting the full load