PDA

View Full Version : buying an impounded car

grooge
23-10-11, 11:55 PM
basically, can you do this?

boy a know had his saxo vts impounded for driving with no insurance. he currently has no license and isnt allowed to get it out the impound without proof of insurance. so he's ****ed.

he's now come to me offering it in exchange for my old dirtbike which is worth way less than the car. i'm up for this as i'm wanting rid of the bike anyway and quite like the car, but can you legally buy a car thats impounded??

bazil
23-10-11, 11:57 PM
doubt it, iirc the owner has to pay the bills and get it out legally or its off to " The Claw "

pie
24-10-11, 12:00 AM
you need to proof of insurance befor they let it go iirc

bazil
24-10-11, 12:01 AM
you need to proof of insurance befor they let it go iirc

possable for a friend to drive it out with legal docs then? maybe?

Dave.
24-10-11, 12:03 AM
No... no if's no but's, when the car is impounded it becomes the property of the affecting Police force... its no longer his car to sell to you and selling it to you is also a offence, That car will get crushed no matter who ownes it, my dad worked for the police for 25 years and knows Section 165 inside out!!!! the only people that can claim that vehicle are the person whos name is on the impound form, or the legal registered owner at the time of seizure. You cannot legally buy/swap an impounded car, and you will never ever be able to retrieve it from there... So no you cant

binty2k8
24-10-11, 12:09 AM
why not go to the impound lot and see if you get insured on the car if you can get it back then if you can do that and sort it that way

Dave.
24-10-11, 12:22 AM
why not go to the impound lot and see if you get insured on the car if you can get it back then if you can do that and sort it that way
No you cant, because then he could give it back to the uninsured unlicenced driver... not allowed

grooge
24-10-11, 12:30 AM
No you cant, because then he could give it back to the uninsured unlicenced driver... not allowed

thats what he was trying to do, or get a friend with a traders policy to do it but couldnt do either

grooge
24-10-11, 12:35 AM
the only people that can claim that vehicle are the person whos name is on the impound form, or the legal registered owner at the time of seizure.

it might be able to be saved yet then as his name isnt on the v5 a dont think, he only bought the car that day.

i know the previous owner and know the police showed up at her house as it was still in her name, dont know if she's sent the v5 away yet. i'll need to ask her

thanks for all the replys

Dave.
24-10-11, 02:04 AM
If they have said they sold the car to him... or hes admitted he just bought the car... then only the new keeper can claim the car... basically its going to the crusher dude, their was loads of tecnicalittys and loopholes years ago but now its 99.99% watersealed

grooge
24-10-11, 02:08 AM
fair play, shame really cos its good wee car, low milage, leather interior etc

cheers :thumb:

binty2k8
24-10-11, 08:02 AM
I allways thought the company.dont have to.crush them.they can.sell them.on coz our local recovery place took my mates car off him and put it on ebay

Stuart
24-10-11, 08:10 AM
I'd go with what Dave says lol

Maybe they can sell it as salvage but might get turned into a CAT C/B or something to make life hard to put it back on the road.

Dave.
24-10-11, 06:57 PM
Anything over a certain value (£2000 iirc) can be sold at auction to recouperate costs, but excuses like "My novas worth £2000 because its got this and that" or "My Saxos worth £3000 because its got a race tuned engine and coilvers" doesnt work, its based on what standard average cars go for... not souped up sheds

wwmnw
24-10-11, 06:58 PM
Time to steal it F&F style.

Mike
24-10-11, 07:20 PM
I'd go with what Dave says lol

This.

TBF Daves dad did have a rather large impound yard packed with motors & knows his shizzle when its comes to impoundage, recovery costs & legal side of this kinda stuff.

grooge
23-11-11, 10:58 PM
well wee update, theres defos still loopholes in the system as the car is now sittin at my lockup!

16v Nova Kev
23-11-11, 11:06 PM
depends who has impounded the car and what he wants to do with it. my sr was taken off somebody and he never claimed it so after 14 days the guy was going to scrap it. so i swaped a scrap car for it and applied for the log book

L14MNP
23-11-11, 11:23 PM
well wee update, theres defos still loopholes in the system as the car is now sittin at my lockup!
Nice one mate! Get some pics up? I'm not blinkered like many on here, and know they can be a good car.

My understanding of it was that they would release to anyone with a licence and proof on insurance. I got someones car out that I don't even know as a favour to someone else this way. lol

Maybe it varies by Police force? I assume Dave knows his stuff, but as grooge says, and I have experienced - there are ways around it.

Bubba
23-11-11, 11:31 PM
i like going to the scrappy and seeing "no insurance no car" stickers on the windows....with the b and c pillars bent right in :p

Connor
23-11-11, 11:34 PM
Time to steal it F&F style.

Gone in 60 seconds stylee ;)

Jack
24-11-11, 12:35 AM
Was there a cigar in the glovebox?

pie
24-11-11, 09:38 AM
lol jack

grooge
24-11-11, 06:58 PM
it was impounded by the police and stored at 911 recovery in possil. i know it was an MOT station that picked it up from the impound but thats all, although i know own it, i've not actually seen it or spoken to the guy lol been to busy so got my mate to get it for me. if i have time later tonight i'll have a look at it.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/citroen-saxo-16-vts--2001--silver-for-sale-or-swap-for-clio-12-or-less/91990029

thats the car there, although i paid considerably less for it, nowhere near 900. its got other work done to it aswell but i cant remember what. think its got a stainless exhaust and sure it has a quickshift. think its been remapped aswell? but it seems all cars have been remapped now lol

16v Nova Kev
24-11-11, 07:32 PM
nice one did do you need to apply for the book

grooge
25-11-11, 12:07 AM
got the book off the boy who had it when it was impounded.

pyromaniac_yeti
25-11-11, 01:54 AM
Feckin saxos. Nowt but trouble...Various mates have had em. Not that quick, not that cheap to run, not that reliable, not that much of a looker....all in all bland, characterless and french.

Mazz
25-11-11, 03:09 PM
...and french.

And there lies the problem...most small french cars are pap imo..

scott.parker
25-11-11, 03:12 PM
i loved my ren 19tdi lol was as fast as standard e16

16v Nova Kev
26-11-11, 03:57 PM
i disagree completly

heds
27-11-11, 05:44 PM
get someone with a traders policy to get it out, ive getten plenty out for people.
or if you fill the new owners bit of the log book in and get insured then you can get it out.

Ben
27-11-11, 06:08 PM
depends on local plod iirc but avon and somerset the car needs to be valued at over £3k for it to be resold as a whole useable car, does not get registered as nothing to do with insurance companies as they have not paid out for it.

Jon_nova1
27-11-11, 11:23 PM
We've got cars out the impound using only a drivers licence a policy that insures any car you drive and the person it belongs to, the people at the impound have even admitted they don't care what happens when it leaves aslong as its driven away legally