PDA

View Full Version : driving with no mot

swedge
23-10-11, 11:01 PM
so on my local "cruise" site theres a section of the forum where one of the local police officers answers questions

well 1 guy wrote this

If I went to aberdeen and got a car that had no mot. Can I drive it to the garage on the same day if the mot is booked. In gala?

I think I know the answer just weighing up my options.

bearing in mind i live a good couple hours away from aberdeen

this was the police officers reply

I have checked and can not find any distance stipulation to driving a vehicle without an mot to a pre arranged mot. So I would say yes this would be fine.

surely thats not right lol

TeddyThom
23-10-11, 11:06 PM
IIRC, the wording states you can drive it to the local MOT station. Which means the closest one. However most coppers say where is it booked in, you tell them the place, they ring up get told that yes you are booked in, and away you go. They will also more than likely follow you to some degree.

Least that is my understanding of it, no doubt Mowgli will be in shortly to completely ruin my understanding of these things lol

swedge
23-10-11, 11:07 PM
yeah im waiting on mowgli too, he's like a big bag of answers

TeddyThom
23-10-11, 11:09 PM
Let us hope then that he can finally say "Yes TT you have got something right." lollol

LEWI007
23-10-11, 11:10 PM
^^With age comes experience and all that... lol lol

autoworksnovasport
23-10-11, 11:25 PM
IIRC, the wording states you can drive it to the local MOT station. Which means the closest one. However most coppers say where is it booked in, you tell them the place, they ring up get told that yes you are booked in, and away you go. They will also more than likely follow you to some degree.

Least that is my understanding of it, no doubt Mowgli will be in shortly to completely ruin my understanding of these things lol

you are correct:thumb:

Andy
24-10-11, 10:02 AM
Afaik ANPR at the moment doesnt pick up on mot's as our lasses mate drove for months unknowingly with an expired MOT.
I wouldnt worry-you dont get points for no MOT anyway.

Alex J
24-10-11, 10:43 AM
Afaik ANPR at the moment doesnt pick up on mot's as our lasses mate drove for months unknowingly with an expired MOT.
I wouldnt worry-you dont get points for no MOT anyway.
with the price of insurance these days its cheaper to drive with no licence, no MOT , no tax, no insurance in a stolen car with 15 people in it with four bald tyres.

paul james
24-10-11, 10:53 AM
I don't think they would be too strict on you having to go to the closest MOT station, as it may be fully booked or just a ****e garage that you can't trust.

I wonder if some dodgy types with cars that wouldn't pass an MOT book one every day with no intention of going, just so their legal? lol

TeddyThom
24-10-11, 11:15 AM
you are correct:thumb:

Well it's not mowgli but it works for me lol

^^With age comes experience and all that... lol lol

lollol +1

swedge
24-10-11, 12:33 PM
well aberdeens not exactly local lol, AA roue planner says 180 mile

Nebbz
24-10-11, 12:48 PM
hmm this thread is helpful as always wondered what leg i would stand on when it comes to the point of MOT'ing the nova again! DO not want to tralor it again! o_0

swedge
24-10-11, 01:14 PM
i reckon if he got pulled in aberdeen or on the way home he'd get fined

do they take the car of you for no mot? i think they do as its not roadworthy

mowgli
24-10-11, 02:42 PM
Right folks, from my understanding of it, you can be booked in a garage in penzance & drive it from aberdeen.. I know from our trucks that you sometimes have to travel fairly large distances to get a booking, and that is considered normal, the last test i had, i asked the bloke in the queue where he was from, and he'd done 100 miles cos his local hgv centre was fully booked..

I also read an article in practical classics where some lads had bought a rover p6 in manchester & driven it to kent still with its 1992 tax disc & a written booking for its mot, they got pulled by the police in cheshire on the m6 & were allowed to carry on

so as long as you have the valid booking, you can get away with it.. As long as the vehicle is in a roadworthy condition

Jeff16v
24-10-11, 04:20 PM
As long as the vehicle is in a roadworthy condition
Oddly enough a car is only considered un-roadworthy once its had an MOT, lol

brainsnova
24-10-11, 04:23 PM
I'm driving with no mot on Thursday 12pm I'll report back lol

mowgli
24-10-11, 04:30 PM
Oddly enough a car is only considered un-roadworthy once its had an MOT, lol

this is a popular misconception.. a car can be deemed unroadworthy at any time, whether it has an MOT or not.

it can pass the MOT & be pulled up outside the test centre, and could be given a prohibition notice... ok, the tester will get into hot water for it, but it is perfectly feasible

swedge
24-10-11, 04:31 PM
if a car has no mat its basicly un roadworthy though isnt it?

mowgli
24-10-11, 04:32 PM
no. if you are getting your car prepped for mot, and it has lapsed, and your car is driven to the test centre, and passes, how could it possibly not be roadworthy on the way to the test??

swedge
24-10-11, 04:42 PM
i still wouldnt chance driving it that far with no mot

TonySR
24-10-11, 04:43 PM
Carrying on with what Mowgli said, I understand you are also allowed to drive a car that needs work done (to pass a MOT) to a garage, then onto another garage if the garage that carried out the work doesn't do MOT's. Correct?

Iain
24-10-11, 04:46 PM
Think you can take it to a "permanent place of repair" or similar wording to have the MOT work carried out - not sure if that still works out OK if that's your house...

Jack
24-10-11, 05:46 PM
You can drive to and from a (pre-booked) MOT test with no MOT.
If the car has previously failed an MOT, you can drive it to a place of repair (again, pre-booked) for work to be carried out to remedy the faults picked up on the MOT.

Bizarrely, the only exception to that is if the car fails the MOT and you take it to a scrapyard to be disposed of. THEN the car has to be towed there.

[edit] There's no restriction as to where you can drive from the MOT if you fail - garage, home, the moon, wherever.

[edit again] Reading the law word for word, you can't drive your car to the tyre shop for new tyres if you didn't fail the MOT on tyres. So say you didn't fail on bald tyres, but wanted them replaced before the re-test - you'd have to get tested, get a fail on the bald tyres, THEN get the new tyres, then re-test again.

brainsnova
24-10-11, 06:29 PM
I always take my van and know everything is :thumb: apart from brake balance so the fuzz can gtf