PDA

View Full Version : making a fibreglass mold.

Bubba
21-10-11, 12:47 AM
ive got the IS splitter on my bm, which is a nice fibreglass one (possibly gen bmw not sure) but i keep catching it on a few junctions and now noticed its split. instead of just fixing it and what not i want to make a mold and make a few of them.

ive seen videos on how to make the mold and i think ive got a rough idea of how to do it. the main question is, before i take the mold, obviously the splitter needs to repaired and have the surface perfect, does it need to be painted, lacquered, polished and waxed before i put anything on the surface?

EDIT erm, is this the right section?

Royston
21-10-11, 06:51 AM
Ask Mike or 16XE Chris

Nicely:d

mowgli
21-10-11, 09:08 AM
remember this, once you make the mould, you need to add a decent layer of paint to the inside of it, or your copy will be bigger than the original.... it might not be by much, but 1mm is 1mm if it doesn't fit right..

autoworksnovasport
21-10-11, 09:12 AM
are you making a latex mold??

Bubba
21-10-11, 12:41 PM
I aint got a clue, I watched come videos on you tube about making the moulds. Basically said wax the **** out of the item, gel coat it then put glass matting on it. Then when its done make sure you give the insides of the mould a good clean, and then wax it 7-8 times. The easier the better

mowgli
21-10-11, 01:01 PM
moike is still at work, then there is the friday commute back home, so don't get your hopes up till about tea time.....and after giving moike some ammunition to take the piss out of his new workmates (he works in the next town over from me), there is a good chance he'll be going to A&E too.....