PDA

View Full Version : in all honesty what do novas handle like?

Jedro
19-10-11, 10:15 AM
as above. what are they like for handling compared to a corsa b for example?
iv never drove one and would love to own one one day soon, just wondered what they are like in roundabouts, corners etc...

Alex J
19-10-11, 10:21 AM
http://www.shinyshiny.tv/4_i-dunno-lol.jpg

Royston
19-10-11, 10:32 AM
As the chassis are almost identical, about the same I would expect.

Weren't Corsa B's slightly wider? so might improve it a little

pie
19-10-11, 10:35 AM
ya corsa's are slightly wider

moffat
19-10-11, 10:36 AM
ive drove both and say the novas is alot better, also prefer it to a corsa aswell

Iain
19-10-11, 10:48 AM
Utter crap as standard, as good as you want depending on how much work/money you want to put in!

mowgli
19-10-11, 10:59 AM
well, if its massively lowered, then it will be truly awful unless someone has done some serious work on the geometry....

novas handle pretty much like every other cheap hatchback to start with...

thedjse
19-10-11, 11:12 AM
Corsa's are a bit wider but arent they abit higher too??? I have had both HATED!!!! the Corsa B felt like it was going to tip over on every corner. Nova handles alot better standard IMO.

They are better lowered like any car really... All depends on set up really as said above

Stuart
19-10-11, 11:21 AM
on std suspension both are dire (for different reasons) Nova is very soft and wollowy and the Corsa is somewhat siff and horrid (I believe the OEM term is 'sporty' lol)

mowgli
19-10-11, 11:22 AM
when they were first launched, i drove a brand new corsa 1.2 on skinny tyres, i thought it drove brilliantly, i could get the back tyres to chirp on most corners, and thought it handled very much like the 1.2 nova

wwmnw
19-10-11, 11:51 AM
If I ever have to drive a Nova on standard suspension again I'll fry my eyeballs, its like being on a boat in a tsunami.

Gareth_C
19-10-11, 11:55 AM
If I ever have to drive a Nova on standard suspension again I'll fry my eyeballs, its like being on a boat in a tsunami.

I thought you were told that it wasnt a tsuami your were experiencing, it was just you moving around in the bath chubby :p

scott.parker
19-10-11, 11:55 AM

lol it ain't that bad, but yeah i uprated the suspension on the 1.2 as it was quite soft and rolly..

wwmnw
19-10-11, 12:04 PM
I thought you were told that it wasnt a tsuami your were experiencing, it was just you moving around in the bath chubby :p

Yeah, I have a bath while driving my car.

mowgli
19-10-11, 12:14 PM
you lot should have driven a new nova..... they handled great, before they got all loose, and all the bushes, springs & shockers got worn... they were actually quite fun, and certainly well thought of by the motoring press.....and the car buying public.... ok, new stuff has got all big wheeled & power steeringed, but a std nova was a good car.

paul james
19-10-11, 12:45 PM
Agreed, I loved my old standard spec suspension Novas. Sure they may well have had quite a lot of suspension travel, but it never felt to me like the car was going to tip over or out of control. I suppose it has a lot to do with what style of car you prefer, and what expectations you have, but to me Novas handle great, they are predictable and can be pushed hard with confidence.

Connor
19-10-11, 01:22 PM
Driving a standard height nova is such a laugh, agreed at high speed its not that stable but low speeds down the old b roads its such a laugh. Much better with the suspension upgraded i must add lol

Jedro
19-10-11, 02:35 PM
i really would love to have one but as our lass doesn't approve of anything older than what iv got i dont think i stand a chance (seriously, shes a nutter!! haha)
would be happy with some sort of crappy cheap 4 door car and a tidy nova shell and use the engine etc.. from the corsa

were/how much would i get a reasonable nova shell?
will be making a drive soon so will need an ornament to sit on it lol

Novasport
19-10-11, 02:48 PM
As Mowgli says, the Nova got good write ups in the motoring press back in the eighties including for its handling. My Swing feels pretty good as standard as it is still like new. 95% of Novas now will be well worn and replacement components on a standard car will be more than likely cheap motorfactor specials so if its not uprated it will more than likley handle poorly.

mowgli
19-10-11, 02:51 PM
everybody should actually try & drive a nova on std 145 or 155r13's for a month before trying any upgrades.. its how motoring should be done.....

Jedro
19-10-11, 02:55 PM
their a lot lighter though aren't they?

mowgli
19-10-11, 02:56 PM
yes.

boyd_1989
19-10-11, 05:36 PM
how much does a standard 1.2 luxe nova weigh?

Nova_Tek
19-10-11, 05:43 PM
My Nova 1.2 was, as far as I can correctly recall, a bit 'meh' in corners. I only have memories of great handling with the much better, stiffer and more expensive upgrades I did to the springs and shocks. My handling memories and now good lol

The SR we have though is standard apart from it has new GM shocks and that handles pretty well. It's no Lotus Elise but I've had fun showing bigger cars how to go round round-abouts. It grips well and corners nice but it is a tad on the soft side and does have body roll. 90% of people will no doubt upgrade to more modern stuff when they buy a Nova. Go for the expensive stuff as there is a very good reason why.

Nova_Tek
19-10-11, 05:45 PM
how much does a standard 1.2 luxe nova weigh?

Around +/- 750KG if it's totally standard

Edd
19-10-11, 06:04 PM
i actually thought that when i bought my SR 15 years with 23k on it it was awesome in standard form, amazing through lanes/twisty stuff

Nova_Tek
19-10-11, 06:18 PM
^ For a standard little car, I feel pretty much the same bar a some body roll etc

BRoadGhost
20-10-11, 09:42 PM
The single biggest thing you can do to make the thing feel like a drivers car is put in a higher ratio steering rack and imo makes it safer to drive hard. The only time things have gone wrong for me was when I didn't have one and I had to take my hands off the wheel.

wwmnw
20-10-11, 09:47 PM
Problem is, not many of us are old enough to have driven Nova's when they were at their best.

I certainly wouldn't call feeling sea sick 'fun'.

mowgli
20-10-11, 09:48 PM
puff... understeer is fun in a nova & the handbrake is the best cure for it

L14MNP
20-10-11, 09:49 PM
I love Nova's. Mostly the look.

Dunno if it has been said though, but you cannot compare them to a 205 GTi!

L14MNP
20-10-11, 09:49 PM
I love Nova's. Mostly the look.

Dunno if it has been said though, but you cannot compare them to a 205 GTi!

BRoadGhost
20-10-11, 09:54 PM
I've never put the thing up a curb due to understeer...

swedge
23-10-11, 01:27 PM
the only vauxhall car i have drove with standard suspension has been a vectra and which was like driving a bloody boat, ive drove plenty corsas and novas with nearly the same setup and the nova has out handled the corsa every time

my car is fully poly bushed with coilovers strut brace rear spax and handles really well, maybe a bit to stiff which can send the back end out but all in all good fun :)