PDA

View Full Version : Matt Metallic paint finish/vinyl

MK999
16-10-11, 09:05 PM
http://www.wraptivo.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/wraptivo_bmw_small.jpg

Loving this! discusslol

John
16-10-11, 09:08 PM
Like it! We saw a matt black, new m3 yesterday, looked awesome imho! We've sold a matt metallic rs4 at work too and that also looked very good.

MK999
16-10-11, 09:28 PM
Like it! We saw a matt black, new m3 yesterday, looked awesome imho! We've sold a matt metallic rs4 at work too and that also looked very good.

Is that something Audi are actually offering as a factory option? That's pretty awesomely in tune with the modifying scene and current trends if so! First time I've seen a matt metallic finish, it looks almost sort of surreal in the way it picks out features.

John
16-10-11, 09:31 PM
Is that something Audi are actually offering as a factory option? That's pretty awesomely in tune with the modifying scene and current trends if so! First time I've seen a matt metallic finish, it looks almost sort of surreal in the way it picks out features.

Don't think it was factory Mark. They had it specifically done at the customers request. However i think Matt black can be factory done. One of the Audi dealer in our group have recently sold a Matt pink A3 cab too lol

_Jake
16-10-11, 09:34 PM
Wonder what it would look like on a nova...

MK999
16-10-11, 09:36 PM
Ah fair enough, rich Audi owners obviously lol Would have thought the norm would be to buy the car, and then go somewhere that would respray or wrap it. Pink A3 cab must be a sight to behold! Bet the owner was quite nice too :p A little while ago I saw a brand new BMW on the motorway with the reg plate "KI55 XES" Spaced so it sort of read "Kisses x" Owner was gorgeous, I overtook a few times! lol

Bubba
16-10-11, 09:36 PM
how can matt reflect light like that? i would have called it satin

Novasport
16-10-11, 09:37 PM
Matt colours are a factory option on the BMW M3 and the Peugeot RCZ but the finish is a nightmare to look after. We got a booklet for paint care and the list of don'ts is a mile long!

Balley
16-10-11, 09:38 PM
You cant wash it though...

MK999
16-10-11, 09:40 PM
Matt colours are a factory option on the BMW M3 and the Peugeot RCZ but the finish is a nightmare to look after. We got a booklet for paint care and the list of don'ts is a mile long!

I'd be quite interested in seeing that if you could scan in a copy or something? Thinking about some matt paint on wheel centres for, strangely enough, a BMW lol

MK999
16-10-11, 09:43 PM
how can matt reflect light like that? i would have called it satin

As per title, matt metallic... so the metallic flakes catch the light, hence the rather overpronounced features of the car. That's actually a show car for a company that does outlandish bits for BMW's, so it works pretty well for its purpose!

Bubba
16-10-11, 09:44 PM
i wouldnt call it matt tbh, but im just picky

Mike
16-10-11, 09:50 PM
Id say its satin TBH.

Not that I know a great deal about paint finishes or anything lol

Bubba
16-10-11, 09:53 PM
satin metallic yes.

Benn
16-10-11, 10:10 PM
I've seen 2 RS Audi A4 and a Audi A8 all in Satin metallic wraps. There is a Bmw 1ser in a silver satin wrap around here too.

It's nothing new really, work vans shops and stuff have had graphics and stuff for years.

Novasport
16-10-11, 10:12 PM
There was an E46 M3 Individual in matt black for sale for ages at a dealer down south. I think they were asking around £40k for it at a time when similar age E46 M3's were up for £20-25k.

MK999
16-10-11, 10:13 PM
I've seen satins (matt satin whatever lol) before but never metallic ones, seems to highlight everything that much more.

Stuart
16-10-11, 10:18 PM
There is a matt/satin M5 in the local bimmer dealer, I asked if it was a wrap or real paint and he said it was real :s For a matt/satin finish the only sensible thing to do is have a wrap like the RS500

MK999
16-10-11, 10:23 PM
There is a matt/satin M5 in the local bimmer dealer, I asked if it was a wrap or real paint and he said it was real :s For a matt/satin finish the only sensible thing to do is have a wrap like the RS500

Costs as much as a respray and doesn't last as long as it's softer though? Painted finish is better surely?

ben doodar
18-10-11, 08:27 PM
There's a new m3 around here in Matt metallic grey. Looks absolutely brilliant!

Bubba
18-10-11, 08:59 PM
Costs as much as a respray and doesn't last as long as it's softer though? Painted finish is better surely?

technically...cheaper if it gets damaged? easier to rewrap a panel than respray a panel and get a perfect colour match

MK999
18-10-11, 10:24 PM
technically...cheaper if it gets damaged? easier to rewrap a panel than respray a panel and get a perfect colour match

Why would it be cheaper when it's circa 2k to wrap a car? Call it 14 panels (4 doors, 2 quarters, 2 wings, 2 for roof, bonnet, boot and 2 bumpers) and it works out about £150 a panel, plus a bit for time to get out there, set up etc, when a full body wrap will be quicker than one panel at a time if you see what I mean, and you could say £200 easy to wrap a panel without repair costs etc. Can't see a blowover on one panel being £200 unless you're talking repairs to a similarly priced paint job, which would be top notch kind of area at 2k a car.

Stuart
19-10-11, 08:29 AM
Its only £2K to 'wrap' a car because the monkeys fitting it are still on a monopoly to rob people lol

Even the 10year vinyl dosent fare well after 2-3 years anyway. Materials are about the same as paint, and time is similar. Problem is commercial paint costs are mental compared to what 'we' are used to lol